Differential Equation- Height of water in tank

In summary, a water tank is being filled by an inflow x(t) and emptied by an outflow y(t). The outflow is controlled by a resistance R and the water depth in the tank is represented by d(t). The surface area of the water is A, which is independent of depth. The tank is 1.5m high with a 1m diameter and a valve resistance of 10s/m^2. The differential equation in terms of tank dimensions and valve resistance is dh/dt = x(t)/A - h/RA.
Abide

Homework Statement

A water tank is filled by an inflow x(t), the tank is emptied by the outflow y(t)

The outflow if controlled by a resistance R

The water depth in the tank is represented by d(t)

The surface area of the water is A, independent of depth

The tank is 1.5m high with a 1m diameter and a valve resistance of 10s/m^2

We are being asked to write a differential equation in terms of tank dimensions and valve resistance

Homework Equations

The outflow is related by y(t) = d(t)/R

d/dt(Volume of tank) = x(t)-y(t)

dh/dt = -a*e^(10t) --> I pulled this from another example online

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how to express this without using the terms in regards to outflow and inflow. From the given equation we can calculate...
d(t) = y(t)R --> From here I assume the following
d(t ) = x(t) - y(t)R , can we assume that x(t) is the initial volume of the tank?
I honestly don't know where to go from here, the only times I have seen a problem like this has been in regards to inflow and outflow, not tank dimensions and valve resistance.

d(t) = pi(.5^2)(1.5) - y(t)*10

I feel like I am overlooking something very simple here, I haven't slept in about a day and a half so that might be it :p

Physics news on Phys.org
The net volumetric flow (m^3/sec) which is expressed as

dv/dt = x(t) - y(t) = x(t) - h/R where h is the height of water in the tank

But dv/dt = A * dh/dt where A is cross sectional area.

So write your ODE. The independent variable is time, and the dependent variable is h.

So then after some algebraic manipulation I have

dh/dt= x(t)/A - h/RA

This still uses output flow as a parameter, which isn't what the question wants. I'm sorry that I'm so hung up on this problem

Abide said:
So then after some algebraic manipulation I have

dh/dt= x(t)/A - h/RA

This still uses output flow as a parameter, which isn't what the question wants. I'm sorry that I'm so hung up on this problem

The output flow is y(t). It's not in the ODE. The input flow is present.

Right but that isn't in the terms requested right? We can't have it in terms of output flow..or does y(t) somehow relate to valve resistance?

dh/dt= x(t)/A - h/RA

A is the area and it is based on the tank dimension diameter. R is the resistance. The overall height of the tank is 1.5 m but that is extraneous information. You could change the A to pi*D^2/4.

Related to Differential Equation- Height of water in tank

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is often used to model real-world phenomena, such as the height of water in a tank.

2. How is a differential equation used to determine the height of water in a tank?

A differential equation can be used to model the change in the height of water in a tank over time. This equation takes into account factors such as the flow rate of water into the tank and the rate at which water is draining out of the tank.

3. What are the variables involved in the differential equation for the height of water in a tank?

The variables involved in the differential equation for the height of water in a tank include the height of water (h), the time (t), the inflow rate (a), and the outflow rate (b). These variables may also be represented by different symbols depending on the specific equation being used.

4. Can differential equations accurately predict the height of water in a tank?

Yes, differential equations can accurately predict the height of water in a tank if all relevant factors are taken into consideration and the equation is solved correctly. However, in real-world situations, there may be factors that cannot be accounted for in the equation, leading to some degree of error.

5. How are differential equations solved to determine the height of water in a tank?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the variables involved.