Linear Algebra System of Equations/Rates Application Help

In summary: But that's easy, just plug in the values from the given conditions.x(0) = 10 and y(0) = 40So x(t) = 10*200 + 40*300 = 1050 and y(t) = 40*200 + 300*300 = 1850.In summary, at time t, the tanks have 1050 pounds of salt and 1850 pounds of salt.
bran_1

Homework Statement

Suppose that we have a system consisting of two interconnected tanks, each containing a brine solution. Tank A contains
x(t) pounds of salt in 200 gallons of brine, and tank B contains y(t) pounds of salt in 300 gallons of brine. The mixture in each tank is kept uniform by constant stirring. When t = 0, brine is pumped from tank A to tank B at 20 gallons/minute and from tank B to tank A at 20 gallons/minute. Find the amount of salt in each tank at time t if x(0) = 10 and y(0) = 40.

Homework Equations

I know how to solve the system, but I'm having trouble setting up the intial equations from the conditions given.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/200)dx(t)/dt = -x(t)/20 + y(t)/20
(1/300)dy(t)/dt = x(t)/20 - y(t)/20

These two equations yield the wrong answer, so I know my setup is incorrect. I'm mostly confused as to how to setup 2 equations for x(t) and y(t) for salt when the stuff I've been given are in salt/gallon.

Physics news on Phys.org
The system is confused by having coefficients on both sides of each equation. It will be easier to make sense of with coefficients only on one side of each. dx(t)/dt and dy(t)/dt are the rates of change of the number of pounds of salt in tanks A and B respectively. Those are nice simple concepts so let's have them on the left-hand side of each equation by themselves.

Now on the right-hand side of each equation we want two terms, one for the rate at which salt enters and one for the rate at which it leaves. Since all flows are at the rate of 20 gal/min, all terms will be that 20 gal/min multiplied by a salt concentration measure, ie pounds per gallon. So to get the amount to put in each of the RHS terms you need an expression for the salt concentration at time t in each of the tanks, in terms of x(t) and y(t).

1. What is linear algebra and how is it used in solving systems of equations?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. In the context of solving systems of equations, linear algebra provides a set of tools and techniques for representing and manipulating systems of linear equations, making it easier to find solutions.

2. How can I use linear algebra to solve real-world problems involving rates?

Linear algebra can be used to solve real-world problems involving rates by representing the rates as variables in a system of linear equations. By manipulating the equations using techniques such as substitution and elimination, the value of the rates can be determined.

3. Can linear algebra be used to solve systems of equations with more than two variables?

Yes, linear algebra can be used to solve systems of equations with any number of variables. The number of equations must be equal to or greater than the number of unknown variables in order to find a unique solution.

4. How does Gaussian elimination work in solving systems of linear equations?

Gaussian elimination is a method for solving systems of linear equations by reducing the system to a simpler form that can be easily solved. It involves using elementary row operations to transform the system into an upper triangular form, making it easier to find the solutions.

5. Are there any applications of linear algebra beyond solving systems of equations?

Yes, linear algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as computer graphics, engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to model and solve problems involving vectors, matrices, and systems of equations in these and other disciplines.