Physics news on Phys.org
Great article @fresh_42 !

I especially like the fact that you've included the D'Alembertian operator. I remember first seeing it in college and then again in a sci-fi movie (don't remember the name) and thought wow this movie got a real physicist or mathematician assisting the production. I think they squared it too ala the Laplacian.

The Navier/Stokes term labeling was pretty cool too. A theme of the Gifted movie was a side thesis around the Navier Stokes millenium prize.

What software did you use to generate the 3D plots? Matlab / Julia / Python plots?

Jedi

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21
jedishrfu said:
What software did you use to generate the 3D plots? Matlab / Julia / Python plots?

Jedi
No, sorry. There is only one proper 3D picture which I took from a lecture note. The pictures I made myself used graph
1693229612917.png

and mspaint, and the linearization of the predator-prey model used the Lotka-Volterra calculator that can be found in
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...h-physics-earth-and-other-curiosities.970262/
I tried to use a German math graphic program but I got stuck, and even WA didn't produce nice pictures, so I returned to my "keep it simple" approach. I calculated the vectors for one flow and added them into the program as arrows, made a screenshot, and copied it into mspaint. Then I zoomed out, made another screenshot, and so on.

All pictures that I did not produce myself, e.g. the graphic about Moore's law, are referenced in the chapter "Sources".

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, scottdave, DeBangis21 and 1 other person
Kudos to you! You did a lot of work for those charts.

Thanks for sharing.

Have you thought of writing a popular or college math book?

Likes pinball1970, DeBangis21 and fresh_42
jedishrfu said:
Have you thought of writing a popular or college math book?
I like the insight format. You can tell in a couple of pages the basic ideas and facts without having to write a novel. There is an (?) insight article I wrote because some kids have asked me about an overview of "differentiation". It resulted in five parts!
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/
And it is still only an overview. I like to quote the 10-point list here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2mathbbc-part/
where I gathered some perspectives on a derivative. And I didn't even use the word slope.

I uploaded the 500 pages of my solutions to the math challenge problems here and I think there are a lot of typos and certainly quite some mistakes in it. This would be rather boring to proofread if it were a book. And the title "Differential Equations and Nature" could easily be a book, but were to stop? I have a book (~1000 pages) from Jean Dieudonné about the history of mathematics between 1700 and 1900 (roughly). I like it very much and appreciate the work he has done to write it. I wouldn't have had the patience.

If I ever write a book it would be: "Is it hard or are we stupid?" I'm fascinated by the fact that we cannot decide NP<>P, and that there seems to be a gap between dimensions 2 (easy) and 3 (impossible), e.g. the complexity of matrix multiplication. We can determine the rank of a matrix (1-1-tensor) in linear time but fail to do the same for bilinear functions (2-1-tensors). Why? Fermat's theorem for n=3 had been solved early, arbitrary n took 350 years. Nevertheless, we still do not have a proof that NP is difficult. Same with Navier-Stokes. Is it hard or are we stupid? And if it is hard, why can't we prove it is hard?

Likes DaveE, Juanda, DeBangis21 and 1 other person
Personally, I'm fascinated by the simplicity of the Collatz Conjecture and why we can't find a proof.

I'm also amazed at how well math describes the universe we observe. You article is great in its survey of differential equations. I recall taking a couple of courses, always amazed at the solution strategies used. Some made sense with deeper understanding of Calculus but others just mystified me.

Likes DeBangis21
You could just collect your articles together into a book of insights and self-publish. One book I liked was the Math 1001 by Elwes, its a collection of many math topics with enough written to pique your interest.

Likes DeBangis21 and fresh_42
jedishrfu said:
I'm also amazed at how well math describes the universe we observe. You article is great in its survey of differential equations. I recall taking a couple of courses, always amazed at the solution strategies used. Some made sense with deeper understanding of Calculus but others just mystified me.
I remembered that I had read an article about timber management in some Asian country, Indonesia, Vietnam, or somewhere there. Unfortunately, I don't remember the country so I couldn't find it again. Instead, I found a dissertation about regional timber management and I was totally amazed and intrigued by the sheer size of the system: 221 coupled non-linear integral and differential equations, 182 parameter functions, and 371 single parameters! Just wow!

I was also amazed by the beauty and simplicity of ##F\sim \ddot x## and what it already implicates without any other equation.

• Wow
Likes DeBangis21 and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
No. Wrong continent and IIRC also wrong language, however, yes, along these lines. Seems timber management and forestation is a much better example for differential equations than Lotka-Volterra. But a horror to draw, I guess. The paper I quoted in the article was a dissertation in Switzerland based on 200 years of data! I just checked, and CC was apparently not of as much interest in 1998 as it is today. At least the word didn't appear in the thesis.

Btw., it is the second time I repaired the first post. Do you know whether it is recreated when I update the article? I corrected a typo.

"linearization of the predator-prey model used the Lotka-Volterra calculator"

In certain cases differential equations may be overrated in explaining the predator-prey dynamics. I've been conversing with an academic ecologist who was able to explain the famous fox-lemming cycles of 3.8 years by invoking a synchronization of lunar cycles with an annual cycle (spring tides within 5 days of the vernal equinox). No way to really validate this given the fragility of ecosystems nowadays.

fresh_42 said:
If science is the observation of nature, then math is the explaination of those observations; can we always be sure of our observations and explainations? The need to be inquisitive is the answer.

ebg said:
If science is the observation of nature, then math is the explaination of those observations; can we always be sure of our observations and explainations? The need to be inquisitive is the answer.
... and being inquisitive is literally what scientists do.

Likes pinball1970
PAllen said:
If you are going to reference the priority dispute early in your document (no need to reference it at all), are you aware of:

https://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~sastry/hs323/calculus.pdf
Thank you, I added the reference and a reference to the reference. You were right, it wasn't specifically important, but - to be honest - I am a fan of my list of sources and every additional source that is meaningful is highly welcome. Those articles are overviews by their nature, so the list of sources is not only a good scientific habit people should get used to early, but also helpful in the rare case that someone is inspired by such an article and wants to dig deeper. I can say for myself that my juvenile curiosity in STEM fields (and the history of them) was mainly triggered by reading books and articles like the ones we have in the insight department and I was always looking for more.

Last edited:

1. How are differential equation systems used to model natural phenomena?

Differential equation systems are used to model natural phenomena by describing the relationships between different variables in a system and how they change over time. By setting up a system of differential equations based on known physical laws and relationships, scientists can simulate and predict the behavior of complex natural systems.

2. What are some examples of natural systems that can be modeled using differential equations?

Some examples of natural systems that can be modeled using differential equations include population dynamics, chemical reactions, predator-prey relationships, climate systems, and electrical circuits. These systems often involve multiple interacting variables that can be described and analyzed using differential equations.

3. How do scientists solve differential equation systems to understand natural processes?

Scientists solve differential equation systems using a variety of mathematical techniques, including analytical methods such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration, as well as numerical methods like Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite element methods. These solutions help scientists understand the behavior of natural processes and make predictions about future outcomes.

4. What are the limitations of using differential equation systems to model nature?

One limitation of using differential equation systems to model nature is that they often involve simplifications and assumptions that may not fully capture the complexity of real-world systems. Additionally, some natural phenomena may be inherently chaotic or unpredictable, making it difficult to accurately model them using differential equations alone.

5. How can scientists validate the accuracy of differential equation models of natural systems?

Scientists can validate the accuracy of differential equation models of natural systems by comparing model predictions to experimental data and observations. If the model accurately predicts the behavior of the system under different conditions, it can be considered a valid representation of the natural process. Additionally, sensitivity analysis and parameter estimation techniques can help refine and improve the accuracy of differential equation models.