Differential equation uniqueness

In summary: No, you did not find that. That is why I asked you to show your work. You made a mistake in one of your integrations. A constant factor of -1, in fact, which changes everything. So, show your work, please, for the integral on both sides of the equation.
nysnacc

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

Leibniz notation: dy/dx = f(x) g(y)
integral 1/g(y) dy = integral f(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

integral 1/y dy = integral sqrt (abs x) dx

ln (y) = ? because sqrt (abs x) is not integrable at x =0
Then my thought is that y=0 is not unique

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you continue to solve the equation using change of variables?

##\frac{dy}{dx}= y \sqrt{|x|}
\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{y} = \sqrt{|x|}dx
\Rightarrow \int \frac{dy}{y} = \int\sqrt{|x|}dx
\Rightarrow log_e y = \int\sqrt{|x|}dx##

Now, ##\int\sqrt{|x|}dx = \dots##

If you have trouble integrating this function due to the absolute value, use the definition of absolute value to integrate it for ##x \leq 0## and/or ##x \geq 0##. Then, use some algebra to find the function ##y##.

The Attempt at a Solution

integral 1/y dy = integral sqrt (abs x) dx

ln (y) = ? because sqrt (abs x) is not integrable at x =0
Then my thought is that y=0 is not unique

Can you say why you think that?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have to consider two cases, x>0 and x<= 0?
I really don't know how to integrate sqrt (abs x)
:(

nysnacc said:

Yes, split it up in apart cases (which is not nessecary, but is easier)

##\sqrt{|x|} = \sqrt{x}## if ##x \geq 0##
## \sqrt{|x|} = \sqrt{-x}## if ## x \leq 0##

Those should be standard to integrate.

nysnacc said:
Well, surely if ##x>0## so ##|x| = x## you can integrate ##\sqrt{|x|}##, right? As another hint, if the case ##x<0## confuses you, you might use the fact that if ##f(x)## is an even function (which ##\sqrt{|x|}## is), then$$
H(x) = \int_0^x f(u)~du$$ is an odd function. Draw a graph using that and see what it looks like.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Well, surely if ##x>0## so ##|x| = x## you can integrate ##\sqrt{|x|}##, right? As another hint, if the case ##x<0## confuses you, you might use the fact that if ##f(x)## is an even function (which ##\sqrt{|x|}## is, then$$
H(x) = \int_0^x f(u)~du$$ is an odd function. Draw a graph using that and see what it looks like.

√-x = -(-x)^3/2 ??
so i have two solutions then I can solve for y in each case

nysnacc said:
√-x = -(-x)^3/2 ??
so i have two solutions then I can solve for y in each case
That is true for ##x < 0##. So you have a two piece formula for ##y##. That is not the same thing as two solutions to your DE. So you have a couple of things left to do. The first is to check whether$$
y = \left \{ \begin{array}{l}
\frac 2 3 x^{\frac 3 2},~ x \ge 0\\
-\frac 2 3 (-x)^{\frac 3 2},~ x < 0
\end{array}\right .$$is a solution to your DE, including at ##x=0##. If it is, then you have found one solution. But your question was about uniqueness of solutions to the given problem. Is there another solution?

LCKurtz said:
That is true for ##x < 0##. So you have a two piece formula for ##y##. That is not the same thing as two solutions to your DE. So you have a couple of things left to do. The first is to check whether$$
y = \left \{ \begin{array}{l}
\frac 2 3 x^{\frac 3 2},~ x \ge 0\\
-\frac 2 3 (-x)^{\frac 3 2},~ x < 0
\end{array}\right .$$is a solution to your DE, including at ##x=0##. If it is, then you have found one solution. But your question was about uniqueness of solutions to the given problem. Is there another solution?

Uhm, that's not a solution to the DE. That's the solution to the integral you need to solve to find a solution. Also, I must say to the OP that I made a small mistake in post #2.

The last step should be: ##\log_e |y| = \int \sqrt{|x|} dx## with the absolute values around the y.

So, y(0)=0 is unique, because both solutions lead to it

nysnacc said:

Show your work please.

for x>0
ln abs y = 2/3x^3/2
y = A e^(2/3x^3/2) where A is any number

for x<=0

ln abs y = -2/3x^3/2
y = A e^(-2/3x^3/2) where A is any number

for y(0) =0
Any of those equation = 0 where A have to be 0..
so solution is 0 in both case

You made a mistake:

Recalculate:

##\int\sqrt{-x}dx##

isn't it -2/3 x^3/2 ??

nysnacc said:
isn't it -2/3 x^3/2 ??

No:

##\int\sqrt{-x}dx##
##-x = u \Rightarrow -du = dx##
##= - \int\sqrt{u}du##
##= - \frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}} + c##
##= - \frac{2}{3}(-x)^{\frac{3}{2}} + c##

Anyway, I think you see that you will have a function of the form ##y = Ae^{\dots}##. Your job is to find a constant ##A## such that ##y(0) = 0##

Last edited by a moderator:
Math_QED said:
Uhm, that's not a solution to the DE. That's the solution to the integral you need to solve to find a solution.

Correct. I mis-spoke there.

nysnacc said:

It makes no sense to say "y(0)=0 is unique". You are being asked about uniqueness of solutions to a given DE with boundary condition. In other words, is there more than one solution to the given initial value problem. It is trivial to see in this problem that ##y \equiv 0## is a solution. The question is whether there is another different solution. I would think this problem arose in a section where you have an existence and uniqueness theorem that is being discussed, and the question is whether or not it applies to this problem. Do you have such a theorem? Does this problem satisfy its hypotheses? So what can you or can't you say about uniqueness?

Likes nysnacc
Math_QED said:
No:

##\int\sqrt{-x}dx##
##-x = u \Rightarrow -du = dx##
##= - \int\sqrt{u}du##
##= - \frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}} + c##
##= - \frac{2}{3}(-x)^{\frac{3}{2}} + c##

Anyway, I think you see that you will have a function of the form ##y = Ae^{\dots}##. Your job is to find a constant ##A## such that ##y(0) = 0##

I found A is 0 in both cases

nysnacc said:
I found A is 0 in both cases

Okay. That is correct. So, you found the solution ##y = 0##, the trivial solution it seems. Now answer to @LCKurtz's questions.

Likes nysnacc
Math_QED said:
Okay. That is correct. So, you found the solution ##y = 0##, the trivial solution it seems. Now answer to @LCKurtz's questions.

cuz the equation is continuous and differentiable, so it is unique, based on Picard’s theorem on existence and uniqueness

nysnacc said:
cuz the equation is continuous and differentiable, so it is unique, based on Picard’s theorem on existence and uniqueness

That is a very glib and unsatisfactory response. You need to actually address the question. What are the hypotheses of Picard's theorem? State them. Then explain why it does or doesn't apply to this problem.

Likes member 587159

1. What is meant by "uniqueness" in the context of differential equations?

Uniqueness in differential equations refers to the property that a specific set of initial conditions will result in only one possible solution. This means that for a given differential equation, there is only one possible solution that satisfies the initial conditions.

2. Why is uniqueness important in differential equations?

Uniqueness is important in differential equations because it ensures that the solution to a problem is well-defined and can be reliably calculated. Without uniqueness, there could be multiple solutions that satisfy the same initial conditions, making it difficult to determine the correct solution.

3. How can one determine if a differential equation has a unique solution?

A differential equation is said to have a unique solution if it satisfies the conditions of Picard-Lindelöf theorem. This theorem states that if the differential equation is continuous and has Lipschitz continuous coefficients, then it has a unique solution.

4. Can a differential equation have multiple unique solutions?

No, a differential equation can only have one unique solution for a given set of initial conditions. However, it is possible for a differential equation to have multiple solutions that satisfy different initial conditions.

5. What happens if a differential equation does not have a unique solution?

If a differential equation does not have a unique solution, it means that the solution is not well-defined and cannot be reliably calculated. In this case, it is necessary to revise the initial conditions or the differential equation itself in order to obtain a unique solution.