Differential equation using laplace transforms

In summary: If we require that y(t) and y'(t) be continuous, the first two terms, C cos(t)+ D sin(t) must be 0 and the only nontrivial solution is y(t)= H(x-2\pi) sin(x).In summary, this conversation is discussing the solution to the differential equation y'' + y = delta(t-2*pi). The solution involves using Laplace transforms and variation of parameters to find a specific solution. The final solution is y = 10*cos(t) if t<2*pi, and y = 10*cos(t) + sin(t) if t>2*pi. The conversation also touches on the use of the Heaviside step function and the delta function in finding
kasse

Homework Statement

y'' + y = delta(t-2*pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved this using laplace transforms.

Y = e^(-2*pi*s)/(s^2 + 1) + 10s/(s^2 + 1)

so that

y = sint*u(t - 2*pi) + 10 *cost

what I don't understand is this function is not definied for t<0. According to my book, the answer is:

y = 10 cos t if 0<t<2*pi and y = 10cost + sint if t>2*pi

Why is this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
u(t-2*pi) IS defined for t<0. It's equal to zero. In fact, it's equal to 0 for t<2*pi and 1 for t>2*pi.

So I'm right to say that the answer here is:

y = 10*cos(t) if t<2*pi, and
y = 10*cos(t) + sin(t) if t>2*pi

?

kasse said:
So I'm right to say that the answer here is:

y = 10*cos(t) if t<2*pi, and
y = 10*cos(t) + sin(t) if t>2*pi

?

Absolutely right.

Since I have made it clear many times that I dislike the "Laplace transform" method (in only works for linear equations with constant coefficients that you can do more easily anyway):

The general solution to the associated homogeneous equation is y"+ y= 0 which has y(t)= C cos(t)+ D sin(t) as general solution. Use "variation of parameters" to find a specific solution to the entire equation:

We seek a solution of the form y(t)= u(t) cos(t)+ v(t) sin(t). Differentiating, y'= u' cos(t)- u sin(t)+ v' sin(t)+ v cos(t). Since we need only one out of the infinitely many solutions, we can simplify by requiring that u' cos(t)+ v' sin(t)= 0. Then y'= -u sin(t)+ v cos(t) and, differentiating again, y"= -u' sin(t)- u cos(t)+ v' cos(t)- v sin(t). y"+ y = -u' sin(t)+ v'cos(t)= [itex]\delta(t- 2\pi)[/itex].

That, together with u' cos(t)+ v' sin(t)= 0 gives two equations to solve for u' and v'. Multiplying the first equation by cos(t) and the second by sin(t) and adding eliminates u':
v'= [itex]cos(t) \delta(t- 2\pi)[/itex] and the integral of that, by definition of the delta function, is v(t)= 0 if x< [itex]2\pi[/itex], cos(2\pi)= 1 if [itex]x\le 2\pi[/itex], in other words, [itex]H(x- 2\pi)[/itex] where H is the Heaviside step function.
Multiplying the first equation by sin(t) and the second by -cos(t) and adding eliminates v': u'= -sin(t)[/itex]\delta(x-2\pi)[/itex] and integrating that u(t)= 0 is x< 2[itex]\pi[/itex], -sin(2\pi)= 0 if [itex]x\ge 2\pi[/itex]. In other words, v(t)= 0 for all t.

The specific function, y(t)= u(t) cos(t)+ v(t) sin(t) is [itex]H(x- 2\pi) sin(x)[/itex] so the general solution to the entire equation is [itex]y(t)= C cos(t)+ D sin(t)+ H(x-2\pi)\delta(x-2\pi)[/itex].

I notice that the initial conditions for the problem were never stated.

Related to Differential equation using laplace transforms

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is often used to simplify the solution of differential equations.

How is the Laplace transform used to solve differential equations?

The Laplace transform is used to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is easier to solve. After solving the algebraic equation, the inverse Laplace transform is applied to obtain the solution in the time domain.

What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms to solve differential equations?

The Laplace transform can simplify the process of solving differential equations, as it reduces them to algebraic equations. It also allows for the use of techniques from complex analysis, making it easier to find solutions for more complex differential equations.

What are some common applications of Laplace transforms in science and engineering?

Laplace transforms are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and control systems to solve differential equations that model real-world problems. They are also used in signal processing, circuit analysis, and fluid dynamics.