Differential Equation with Bessel Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bessel function solutions in solving a differential equation and the substitution method suggested in the textbook "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Third Edition". The conversation also includes the incorrect use of variables and the correct use of variables when solving the equation. The method used in the textbook is questioned and the conversation ends with a request for resources and a note about the incorrect placement of the conversation in the wrong forum.
PatsyTy
<<Moderator note: Missing template due to move from other forum.>>

Good afternoon. I'm trying to solve a differential equation with bessel function solutions. I am trying to solve

\begin{equation*}
y''(x)+e^{2x}y(x)=0
\end{equation*}

using the substitution ##z=e^x##. The textbook this problem is from (Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, Third Edition) also includes that a differential equation in the form

\begin{equation}
y''+\frac{1-2a}{x}y'+\Big[(bcx^{c-1})^2+ \frac{a^2-p^2c^2}{x^2}\Big]y=0
\end{equation}

has a the solution

\begin{equation}
y=x^aZ_p(bx^c)
\end{equation}

I believe that I need to use this to solve the problem.

Using this substitution suggested in the problem I then have ##x=ln(z)## and I solve the derivatives of the functions of ##y(x)## in terms of a new function ##y(x)=w(ln(z))##.

\begin{equation*}
y(x)=w(ln(z)) \\
y'(x)=\frac{w'(ln(z))}{z} \\
y''(x)=\frac{w''(ln(z))-w'(ln(z))}{z^2}
\end{equation*}

Doing the substitution I get

\begin{equation*}
\frac{w''}{z^2}-\frac{w'}{z^2}+z^2w=0
\end{equation*}

multiplying through by ##z^2## to get rid of the denominators gives me

\begin{equation*}
w''-w'+z^4w=0
\end{equation*}

I then compare this to the differential equation of form

\begin{equation}
w''+\frac{1-2a}{z}w'+\Big[(bcz^{c-1})^2+ \frac{a^2-p^2c^2}{z^2}\Big]w=0
\end{equation}

and by inspection get the values for ##a##, ##b##, ##c## and ##p##

\begin{equation*}
1-2a=-1 \rightarrow a=1 \\
(bc)^2=1 \rightarrow b= \frac{1}{c} = \frac{1}{3} \\
2c-2 = 4 \rightarrow c=3 \\
a^2-p^2c^2=0 \rightarrow p= \frac{1}{3}
\end{equation*}

I then go ahead and put these values into the solution ##w=z^aZ_p(bz^c)## and then substitute ##z=e^x## back in and yet a solution of

\begin{equation*}
y=e^xZ_{1/3}\Big(\frac{1}{3}e^{3x}\Big)=e^x\Big(AJ_{1/3}\big(\frac{1}{3}e^{3x}\big)+BN_{1/3}\big(\frac{1}{3}e^{3x}\big)\Big)
\end{equation*}

where ##A## and ##B## are arbitrary constants.

If however I use a computer system to solve the D.E it gives a solution of

\begin{equation*}
y(x)=A J_0\left(\sqrt{e^{2 x}}\right)+B N_0\left(\sqrt{e^{2 x}}\right)
\end{equation*}

I do not believe these are equal and am unsure how to check. Also I am unsure if this is even the correct method for solving D.E with Bessel function solutions as I haven't seen an example using substitution and am having a hard time finding other resources on the method given in the text. Is there another method for solving D.Es with Bessel function solutions? Also is there a name for the method used above so I can try to find more resources on it?

Thanks for any help you can offer, I do appreciate it!

Edit: Also I just realized this is a homework question and is posted in the wrong forum. Miscellaneous question is how can I get this post switched to the correct form? Sorry about this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everywhere in your equations, you have ##w## and its derivatives as a function of ##\ln x##. This means it does not satisfy the equation you found as ##w'(f(x)) \neq w'(x)##. You need to have ##w## as a function of the same argument variable as you have in your equation, i.e., ##w(z) = y(\ln z)## or, equivalently, ##w(e^x) = y(x)##.

Last edited:
Likes PatsyTy
Thank you, my prof mentioned the same when I handed it in. I'll be redoing it with the correct variables to make sure I understand it.

1. What is a differential equation with Bessel function?

A differential equation with Bessel function is a type of differential equation that involves the use of special functions called Bessel functions. These functions are used to solve problems in mathematical physics, particularly those involving circular or cylindrical symmetry.

2. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a special type of function that is used to solve differential equations with circular or cylindrical symmetry. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is commonly denoted by the letter J.

3. What are the applications of differential equations with Bessel function?

Differential equations with Bessel function have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used to solve problems involving heat transfer, vibration analysis, electromagnetic waves, and fluid mechanics.

4. How are Bessel functions different from other special functions?

Bessel functions are different from other special functions in that they are defined by a differential equation rather than an explicit formula. They also have unique properties, such as oscillatory behavior and infinite series representations.

5. How are Bessel functions related to Fourier series?

Bessel functions are closely related to Fourier series through the use of Bessel's inequality, which states that the coefficients in a Fourier-Bessel series are bounded by the coefficients in the corresponding Fourier series. This connection allows for the use of Bessel functions in solving problems involving periodic functions.