Differential Equations and Damper Curves

In summary: However, after reading this article it seems that the nonlinearity is actually caused by the stiffness and damping in the damper, and not the turbulence. This is a very different picture and I am not sure how to proceed from here.In summary, the author is trying to come up with a "rule of thumb" or sensible hand(ish) calculation in order to tune the energy absorption of the various suspension components in a multi-body system, but he is not sure how to proceed from here.
aeb2335
TL;DR Summary
How to solve harmonic motion equations with non constant damping
Good evening,

I have been wrestling with the following and thought I would ask for help. I am trying to come up with the equations of motion and energy stored in individual suspension components when a wheel is fired towards the car but, there is a twist!

I am assuming a quarter car type model and a step input is applied to a simple damped harmonic oscillator which, is often presented in the following form: m*(d2x/dt)+c*(dx/dt)+k*x=0; however, after a lot of searching I have never seen this equation solved for when c is not constant i.e c(F(dx/dt)) .

The reason I ask about c being non constant is in automotive engineering the primary suspension damper often has a knee point (see attachment); I am reasonably comfortable with coming up with equations to describe c as a function of force and velocity but, I don't really know what the next step should be.

Now if this were just a spring and a mass the energy stored is fairly straight forward: Wspring=.5kx^2 and KE=1/2mv^2
I assume for the damper the energy could be expressed as Wdamper=integral(c(F,v)*v^2dt) but, I am not totally sure. I am even less sure if that is the correct direction I want to go.

For the whole of my education dampers have been linear so this would be really cool to get understand.

Attachments

• DMS-Subaru-Koni-Tein-KW.gif
    DMS-Subaru-Koni-Tein-KW.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 255
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
aeb2335 said:
I don't really know what the next step should be
Don't think you get much further analytically. My next step would be to go numerical.
aeb2335 said:
damper often has a knee point (see attachment)
Would that be real, or also an approximation ? How were these curves determined ?

Firstly, Thanks for your response!

As usual there is more context to this problem! I work in multi-body systems and I am trying to come up with a "rule of thumb" or sensible hand(ish) calc in order to tune the energy absorption of the various suspension components.

So unfortunately, I am trying to get away from numerical simulations as, effectively I already have the answer as it were. I find it extremely interesting that there is so much literature around this idealisation when in the real world the correlation is actually extremely poor; at least for automotive dampers.

As for damper behaviour unfortunately, they are significantly more complex than a linear relationship suggested by a constant "C" and the knee point is very real. Knee point(s) or indeed any changes in the damper curve can be caused by caviation or by a value that has been deliberately engineered into the damper.

I have seen programs and work similar to below that suggest this problem has been solved analytically but, I have no idea how!

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rsta.2014.0402#d3e639

This publication seems to be close to what I am on about but, I am not sure how to proceed; Any thoughts?

I'm afraid you are the expert here :smile: . Interesting world opening when I looked at your link and at ref 13 therein (Surace). But no sharp knees found.

Did find some support for my answer, though :wink:
Elliott al said:
(c) Numerical simulation for a single-degree-of-freedom system
In practice, for higher order forms of nonlinear damping, deriving an analytical expression for the response becomes more difficult, but direct time domain simulations can still be used to calculate the result

In my naive picture of dampers I thought the nonlinearity in fluid friction due to turbulence caused the deviation from linearity.​

1. What are differential equations and how are they used in damper curves?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In damper curves, they are used to model the behavior of a system over time, taking into account factors such as damping and external forces.

2. How do damper curves affect the motion of a system?

Damper curves can affect the motion of a system by slowing it down and reducing its amplitude. This is due to the damping force, which is proportional to the velocity of the system and acts in the opposite direction of its motion.

3. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear damper curve?

A linear damper curve follows Hooke's Law, where the damping force is directly proportional to the displacement of the system. Nonlinear damper curves, on the other hand, have a damping force that is not directly proportional to the displacement, resulting in a more complex behavior of the system.

4. How are differential equations solved for damper curves?

Differential equations for damper curves can be solved using various methods, such as analytical solutions, numerical methods, and computer simulations. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the accuracy required for the solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations and damper curves?

Differential equations and damper curves are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are applied in the design of structures, control systems, and financial models, among others, to accurately predict the behavior of systems over time.