Differential equations incongruecy

In summary, the conversation discusses two different problems involving percentages and rates of change. The first problem involves finding the percentage of carbon dioxide in a room as a function of time, while the second problem involves finding the percentage of alcohol in a vat after an hour. The solutions for both problems are different, with the first one not converting the expression into a percentage, while the second one does. The confusion arose from the interpretation of the first problem, where the initial volume of carbon dioxide had to be converted into units of volume before finding the constant in the expression. After that, the expression is transformed into an expression that gives volume as a percentage with respect to time, leading to the correct solution of 0.05%.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

I am going to copy-paste this text that my friend made (because we both have the same doubt and we don't know to work around it. This is a long post, so warning):

"I'm currently unsure of how these two problems work. I've tried working at them in different ways but i don't understand why they are different (even if we are dealing with percentages):

1.The air in a room with volume 180m3 contains 0.15% carbon dioxide initially. Fresher air with only 0.05% carbon dioxide flows into the room at a rate of 2m3/min and the mixed air flows out at the same rate. Find the percentage of carbon dioxide in the room as a function of time. What happens in the long run?

2.A vat with 500 gallons of beer contains 4% alcohol (by volume). Beer with 6% alcohol is pumped into the vat at a rate of 5 gal/min and the mixture is pumped out at the same rate. What is the percentage of alcohol after an hour?

The solutions for both problems are different:

-> 1. The rate of change in the amount of CO2 is dy/dt = Rate(in) - Rate(out), so we have:
Rate(in): 0.0005(2) Rate(out): (2)y/(180)
Then, our differential equation would be dy/dt = 0.001 - y/90, and by integrating it we would reach that our final equation is y = 0.06e-t/90 + 0.09. However, note that in contrast to the second problem WE DO NOT CHANGE IT TO A PERCENTAGE (even though we did the same set up for the exercise!)

-> 2. The rate of change in the amount of alcohol is dy/dt = Rate(in) - Rate(out), so it should just be:
Rate(in): 0.06(5) Rate (out): y(t)/500(5)
So, our differential equation would be dy/dt = (30-y)/100. After integrating and such (which i understand), the book arrives at the expression y = 30 - 10e-t/100, then they multiply it by 100 and divide it by 100 to obtain the percentage."

Long story short, we are presented with two different problems, and in one they convert it to a percentage and the other one is just left as it is (but it express results as a percentage).

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Why would it be that in the second case we are converting the expression into a percentage, but in the first case we are completely ignoring that fact (but still getting the "supposed" correct answer?). Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update: I solved the problem (the issue was with how problem 1 was interpreted. Problem 2 is perfectly done and does not need any modifications).

The thing was that when plugging in the value to find the constant in the expression, I first had to convert the initial volume of the CO2 given as a percentage into units of volume (this means, dividing by 100 and multiplying by the volume in the room), then the constant is found to be 0.18. After that, you transform the whole expression into an expression that gives volume as a percentage with respect to time (and then you can finally solve the exercise, which its answer is 0.05%!)

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model how a system changes over time and are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences.

What is "incongruency" in differential equations?

Incongruency in differential equations refers to situations where the equations do not have a unique solution or do not accurately represent the behavior of the system being modeled. This can happen when the equations are not consistent or when there are too many unknown variables.

How is incongruency detected in differential equations?

Incongruency is typically detected by solving the differential equations and checking for inconsistencies or by comparing the results to experimental data. If the solution does not match the expected behavior of the system, it may indicate an incongruent situation.

What causes incongruency in differential equations?

Incongruency in differential equations can be caused by various factors such as incorrect initial conditions, faulty assumptions, or simplifications in the model. It can also arise from errors in the mathematical calculations or limitations of the equations themselves.

How can incongruency in differential equations be resolved?

Incongruency in differential equations can be resolved by carefully reviewing and revising the assumptions and simplifications made in the model, double-checking the mathematical calculations, and adjusting the initial conditions. In some cases, it may also be necessary to use more advanced techniques or to incorporate additional data into the model.