Differential Equations: linearity principle

In summary, there are several approaches to solving the given system of differential equations, including writing it as a matrix equation and using the linearity principle. However, there is a repeated eigenvalue in the matrix, which may complicate the solution process. Another approach involves differentiating the first equation and substituting for y, leading to a second-order differential equation that can be solved with the given initial conditions.
Dusty912

Homework Statement

Consider the linear system:
dx/dt=x-y
dy/dt=x+3y

a. show that the function (x(t), y(t))=(te2t, -(t+1)e2t) is a solution to the differential equation (easy)
b. Solve the initial value problem
dx/dt=x-y
dy/dt=x+3y

y(0)=(0,2)

need help with part b not a

Homework Equations

linarity principle
y(t)=k1y1(t) +k2y2(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Really don't even know where to start. I understand how to use the linearity principle with two given solutions but not one. I feel like I am missing a very fundamental idea about initial value problems. So any idea on where I should begin with just one given solution?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Dusty912 said:

Homework Statement

dx/dt=x-y
dy/dt=x+3y

a. show that the function (x(t), y(t))=(te2t, -(t+1)e2t) is a solution to the differential equation (easy)
dx/dt=x-y
dy/dt=x+3y

y(0)=(0,2)
This is confusing. y(0) is a single number. Did you write 0,2 to mean the same thing as 0.2? If not, what's the initial condition for x(0)?
Dusty912 said:

Homework Equations

linarity principle
Which is what?
Dusty912 said:
y(t)=k1y1(t) +k2y2(t)

Really don't even know where to start. I understand how to use the linearity principle with two given solutions but not one. I feel like I am missing a very fundamental idea about initial value problems. So any idea on where I should begin with just one given solution?[/B]

Rayonna said:

Homework Equations

p= Ɣmu
p= mv/ sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

a.
p= 1/ sqrt(1-.422c/c^2) *(.422c)(0)
= 5.51e-01

Dusty912 said:
Really don't even know where to start. I understand how to use the linearity principle with two given solutions but not one. I feel like I am missing a very fundamental idea about initial value problems. So any idea on where I should begin with just one given solution?

please see the following to get an idea of the question-
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Linear.aspx

Dusty912 said:

Homework Statement

dx/dt=x-y
dy/dt=x+3y

dx/dt=x-y
dy/dt=x+3y

y(0)=(0,2)
It looks like you are confusing two different notations. In your equations, dx/dt= x- y and dy/dt= x+ ,you have x and y as scalar functions but here you have y as a vector function with the previous x and y as components. In your original notation, you want x(0)= 0, y(0)= 2.

Homework Equations

linarity principle
y(t)=k1y1(t) +k2y2(t)

Are you required to use the given solution? There are several different ways of solving such a system of equations. For one, you could write it as a matrix equation:
[tex]\frac{d\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}}{dx}= \begin{pmatrix}1 & -1 \\ 1 & 3 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and it is easy to "diagonalize" that matrix.

Or, differentiating the first equation again, [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dx}{dt}- \frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] and replace that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] with the second equation- [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dx}{dt}- (x+ 3y)[/itex] and replace that "y" with [itex]y= x- \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] from the first equation again.
[itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dx}{dt}- x- 3(x- \frac{dx}{dt})= 4\frac{dx}{dt}- 4x[/itex]. Can you solve [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}- 4\frac{dx}{dt}+ 4x= 0[/itex] with initial conditions x(0)= (0), x'(0)= x(0)- y(0)= 0- 2= -2?

HallsofIvy said:
It looks like you are confusing two different notations. In your equations, dx/dt= x- y and dy/dt= x+ ,you have x and y as scalar functions but here you have y as a vector function with the previous x and y as components. In your original notation, you want x(0)= 0, y(0)= 2.

Are you required to use the given solution? There are several different ways of solving such a system of equations. For one, you could write it as a matrix equation:
[tex]\frac{d\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}}{dx}= \begin{pmatrix}1 & -1 \\ 1 & 3 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and it is easy to "diagonalize" that matrix.
It's not so easy. There's a repeated eigenvalue with only one eigenvector.
HallsofIvy said:
Or, differentiating the first equation again, [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dx}{dt}- \frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] and replace that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] with the second equation- [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dx}{dt}- (x+ 3y)[/itex] and replace that "y" with [itex]y= x- \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] from the first equation again.
[itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dx}{dt}- x- 3(x- \frac{dx}{dt})= 4\frac{dx}{dt}- 4x[/itex]. Can you solve [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}- 4\frac{dx}{dt}+ 4x= 0[/itex] with initial conditions x(0)= (0), x'(0)= x(0)- y(0)= 0- 2= -2?

1. What is the linearity principle in differential equations?

The linearity principle in differential equations states that if two functions are solutions to a linear differential equation, then any linear combination of these functions is also a solution.

2. How is the linearity principle used in solving differential equations?

The linearity principle is used to simplify the process of solving differential equations by allowing us to break down a complex equation into smaller, more manageable parts. We can then use known solutions to these smaller parts to find the solution to the original equation.

3. Can the linearity principle be applied to all types of differential equations?

No, the linearity principle only applies to linear differential equations. Nonlinear equations do not follow the same rules and cannot be solved using this principle.

4. What are the benefits of using the linearity principle in differential equations?

The linearity principle allows for a more systematic and organized approach to solving differential equations. It also helps in finding general solutions that can be applied to a variety of different problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the linearity principle in solving differential equations?

Yes, the linearity principle may not always work for more complex differential equations that involve higher order derivatives or non-constant coefficients. In these cases, other methods may need to be used to find a solution.