Differential equations, orthogonal trajectories

In summary: Please clarify.In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a family of curves given by the equation x^2+y^2=cx. The first part of the problem involved plotting the curves for various values of c and solving for c. The second part involved differentiating the equation and solving for dy/dx in order to find an implicit solution to the ODE. However, when attempting to plot the solution for various values of c, it did not appear to be perpendicular to the original curves. The conversation then turned to discussing the use of integration constants and clarifying the steps in finding the correct solution. Ultimately, it was found that there are multiple solutions to this problem, with one being y=(x^2+y^2)c,
SU403RUNFAST

Homework Statement

you are given a family of curves, in this case i was given a bunch of circles x^2+y^2=cx, sketch these curves for c=0,2,4,6, both positive and negative, solve the equation for c and differentiate both sides with respect to x and solve for dy/dx. You obtain an ODE in the form of dy/dx=f(x,y), now any orthogonal or perpendicular trajectory must be perpendicular at any point, so we're looking for curves satisfying dy/dx=-1/f(x,y) (negative reciprocal slope). Find an implicit solution to this ODE, and sketch these

Homework Equations

x^2+y^2=cx

The Attempt at a Solution

I plotted all the circles, the first one c=0 is a point, and the rest are circles on the left and right sides of the origin, each new circle's radius moves outwards by 1. This was easy part, and solving for c i got c=(x^2+y^2)/x, i split this up into c=x+y^2/x and differentiated to get 0=1-(y^2/x^2)(dy/dx) so that means dy/dx=x^2/y^2. I took the reciprocal so the new ODE becomes dy/dx=-y^2/x^2, but the problem is that when i solve this ODE i get y=Ce^(1/x) and when i plot this for random C values none of these are perpendicular to my circles! I would like to know where my mistake is, did I differentiate in the first step correctly? Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the equation if a circle x^2 + y^2 = K,
So what you hav above is a circle just rearrange to check .
Differentiation gives 2*x + 2*y*y' = c
Solve for dy/dx = (c-2x)/(2*y)
What you need is dy/dx = -(2*y)/(c-2x)
This is a seperable 1 ODE that can be solve by re-arranging to
(1/2*y)dy = dx/(c-2x)
And it's up to you ;) Good luck

Last edited:
okay i am going to use your work and solve and see if it is perpendicular thanks, but i plotted the original solutions and they came out as circles,i rewrote them as (x-c/2)^2+y^2=(c/2)^2, i will check

i guess its the same if you differentiate it without solving for c first

I diff the whole equation without re-arrangement, didn't got rid of anything, they are indeed circles,if you take a look, everything is Okay because (x^2)' = 2x , (cx)' = c , (y^2)' = 2yy'

Yes I understood it, i have now obtained -ln(y)/2 + C = -ln(c-2x)/2 + C i think to plot I have to choose the parameter C, thanks

Unless they cancel out, but i don't think they would have the same value because they are different constants

wait nvm i got it, but just to make sure can i just get rid of the big constant C's and then all is left is ln(y)=ln(c-2x)

Ln(y) = ln(c-2x) + K (K =(C-c)/2 is the integration constants)
Y = c-2x + Cte (constant of integration)

Last edited:
why are you subtracting C-c... and where does division by 2i come from? There arent any irrational numbers... What the hell is C t and e.. i can't plot this with so many random constants

Oops, keyboard typing errors i means C-c/2 = K to treat both of them as one constant C and c are constant if ODE solving

Little c is a number though, 0,-2,2,-4,4,etc, I am going to assume you mean C-C/2=K, so i did the same thing to simplify by raising e^ln(), are you sure you can just take an average randomly to get K or it doesn't matter since it doesn't show up, it only shows up as K. So do I pick random K values? This needs to be perpendicular to x^2+y^2=cx

Plotting y=c-2x alone gives lines through each circle through origin so that works if i ignore K, thanks for your immense help and clarifying my stupid questions

K is an integration constant, in fact i didnt mean to write it as C-c/2 but I can so why not ? it show up as a single constant

Welcome, but don't forget to write as y= c-2x + K, in your case K = 0 happened to work, but allways write the most general solution and pick up the values you need, (you picked up K= 0 and that's great )

wait yeah but wouldn't when i simplifed using e^()=e^() +e^K wouldn't this k=0 add a 1 and mess up the solution...

e^K = Cte an other constant
After you write that, ignore K, it's all about Cte

So i just resolved the problem a different way and at the end I got y=(x^2+y^2)c. These are more circles that are orthogonal

SU403RUNFAST said:
So i just resolved the problem a different way and at the end I got y=(x^2+y^2)c. These are more circles that are orthogonal
"More circles that are orthogonal" to what?

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationships between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model a wide variety of phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are orthogonal trajectories?

Orthogonal trajectories are curves that intersect a given family of curves at right angles. They are useful in solving differential equations, as they help to find solutions that satisfy certain boundary conditions.

3. How do you find orthogonal trajectories?

To find orthogonal trajectories, you must first find the differential equation that represents the given family of curves. Then, you can use a method such as separation of variables or variation of parameters to solve for the orthogonal trajectories.

4. What are the applications of differential equations and orthogonal trajectories?

Differential equations and orthogonal trajectories have many practical applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting the motion of objects, and analyzing electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics and biology.

5. Are there any real-world examples of orthogonal trajectories?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of orthogonal trajectories. One example is the electric field lines around a point charge, which are orthogonal trajectories to the equipotential surfaces. Another example is the flow of air around an airplane wing, where the streamlines are orthogonal trajectories to the isobars (lines of constant pressure).