Differential of X [ dX = U/V dV + U/p dp ] Internal Energy?

In summary, we are trying to write the differential of X in terms of the independent variables, and prove that it is an exact differential using the chain rule and the ideal gas equation of state. This will also allow us to show that internal energy is a state variable for the van der Waals gas.
says

Homework Statement

dX = U/V dV + U/p dp

1. Write the differential of X in terms of the independent variables.
  2. Prove that this is an exact differential.
  3. Use the ideal gas equation of state to verify that X is actually the internal energy and that it satisfies the above equation. Would you expect the internal energy to be a state variable for the van der Waals gas?

Homework Equations

Internal Energy
dU = TdS - PdV

The Attempt at a Solution

dX = U/V dV + U/p dp ... I'm a bit too embarrassed to type anything that I've tried. I'm not really sure where to start.

dX = U / -V2 + U / -p2
= - U / V2 - U / p2

Partial Derivative Attempt

dX = U/V dV + U/p dp

dX = [ U / V dV ]p + [ U / p dp ]V

Any help to put me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If dX is going to be an exact differential, then a good place to start on this is to write down the chain rule expression for dX in terms of dP and dV. Then compare that equation with your starting differential equation.

Chet

Likes says
dU / dX = dU/dV dU/dp - Chain Rule expression for dX in terms of dP and dV?

M =(V,U) dV N= (U,p) dp

( ∂U / ∂V = dV ) + ( ∂U / ∂p dp ) = dX

X (V,p)
∴ X = U (Internal Energy)

says said:
dU / dX = dU/dV dU/dp - Chain Rule expression for dX in terms of dP and dV?

M =(V,U) dV N= (U,p) dp

( ∂U / ∂V = dV ) + ( ∂U / ∂p dp ) = dX

X (V,p)
∴ X = U (Internal Energy)
What I had in mind was:
$$dX=\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial v}\right)_pdv+\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial p}\right)_vdp$$
and setting U = U(p,v), so, if the equation represents an exact differential, then
$$\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial v}\right)_p=\frac{U(p,v)}{v}$$
$$\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial p}\right)_v=\frac{U(p,v)}{p}$$

Chet

Likes says
Ok. Exact and partial differentials are still pretty new to me so I think I'll do a bit more reading and come back to this. Thank you for your reply!

says said:
Ok. Exact and partial differentials are still pretty new to me so I think I'll do a bit more reading and come back to this. Thank you for your reply!
Yes. You need to be able to work with them to do many thermo analyses.

Chet

Likes says
Chestermiller said:
What I had in mind was:
$$dX=\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial v}\right)_pdv+\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial p}\right)_vdp$$
and setting U = U(p,v), so, if the equation represents an exact differential, then
$$\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial v}\right)_p=\frac{U(p,v)}{v}$$
$$\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial p}\right)_v=\frac{U(p,v)}{p}$$

Chet

Doesn't this mean that internal energy is not a state variable for the van der Waals gas?

van der Waals equation of state:

waals.gif

Ideal Gas Equation of State:

pV = nRT

Internal energy is a state variable for all materials.

Chet

Related to Differential of X [ dX = U/V dV + U/p dp ] Internal Energy?

1. What is the meaning of "dX" in the differential equation for Internal Energy?

In this context, "dX" represents a small change in the variable "X". It is used to indicate that the equation is describing a relationship between the change in "X" and other variables.

2. How is the differential of Internal Energy calculated?

The differential of Internal Energy is calculated using the formula dX = U/V dV + U/p dp. This equation takes into account the changes in volume and pressure, as well as the ratio of these changes to the overall internal energy.

3. What is the significance of the term "U/V" in the differential equation for Internal Energy?

The term "U/V" represents the specific internal energy of the system, which is the internal energy per unit volume. This is an important factor in the calculation of the differential of Internal Energy.

4. Can the differential of Internal Energy be used to calculate the overall change in internal energy?

Yes, the differential of Internal Energy can be integrated to calculate the overall change in internal energy. This is done by integrating the equation dX = U/V dV + U/p dp with respect to the variables V and p.

5. How is the differential of Internal Energy related to the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The differential of Internal Energy is closely related to the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. The differential equation for Internal Energy takes into account changes in volume and pressure, which are both factors in the work done by the system.