What does 'dv and dx' mean in f = eta X A (dv/dx)?

• Thread starter Indranil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx Mean
In summary: CHANGEIn summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "dv" and "dx" in the equation for coefficient of viscosity. The experts explain that "dv" represents the rate of change of velocity with respect to position, and "dx" represents the distance. They also mention that this equation can be written in infinitesimal form as "dv/dx" and give examples of how it is used in different scenarios.
Indranil

Homework Statement

What does 'dv and dx' mean in f = eta A (dv/dx) in coefficient of viscosity?

2. Homework Equations

What does 'dv and dx' mean in f = eta A (dv/dx) in coefficient of viscosity?

The Attempt at a Solution

As I know v = velocity and x = distance. then what does 'dv' and 'dx' express here. Kindly explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Like any derivative, it means the rate at which v varies with respect to x. Imagine running at top speed on asphalt and then you hit a muddy field that gets muddier the farther in you get. Even though you are pumping your muscles as hard as you can, the deeper you get, the lower your speed. The rate at which your speed decreases with distance is dv/dx, in this example a negative number.

Hi Indranil:

I am not sure I understand what is puzzling you. I will tell you what it means to me, and I hope that will be helpful.

dv/dx is the rate of change of velocity as position changes.

You can also write dv/dx = dv/dt / dx/dt.
Do you understand that? Since dx/dt = v, and dv/dt = a (acceleration) you can say that the meaning of dv/dt is the value you get when you divide the acceleration by the velocity.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viskosität (They used ##y## instead of ##x##.)
800px-Definition_Viskositaet.png
In the experiment, it can be shown that, ideally, the force ##F## necessary to move the top plate is proportional to the area ##A##, the speed difference ##\Delta v## and antiproportional to the spacing of the plates ##\Delta y##, that is:
##F \sim A## and ##F \sim \Delta v## and ##F \sim \dfrac{1}{\Delta y}##

This gives the equation ##F = \eta A {\dfrac{\Delta v}{\Delta y}}## and as continuous, infinitesimal form ##F = \eta A {\dfrac{d v}{d y}}##.

Attachments

• 800px-Definition_Viskositaet.png
    800px-Definition_Viskositaet.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,350
Likes Chestermiller and Delta2
I agree with @fresh_42 . This equation is typically used to introduce Newton's law of viscosity, based on the most simple example. In this example, you have a fluid contained between 2 large parallel plates, with the lower plate (y=0) stationary and the upper plate y=h) moving at velocity V in the positive x-direction. The fluid x-velocity in the region between the plates is linear, and given by:$$v_x=V\frac{y}{h}$$. The force in the positive x-direction required to cause the fluid to shear with this velocity profile is given by Newton's law of viscosity as:
$$F=\eta A\frac{dv_x}{dy}=\eta A\frac{V}{h}$$where ##\eta## is the fluid viscosity and A is the plate area. The derivative of the x-velocity with respect to y is referred to as the "shear rate."

The example given by Buzz Bloom, rather than involving shear of the fluid, is referred to as an elongational deformation. In this case, dv/dx is called the "rate of elongation", and the tensile force involves 3 times the viscosity.

Likes Indranil and Delta2
Delta v\Delta X = Viscosity Gradient

Change in Velocity/Change in Depth = VELOCITY GRADIANT = Uniformly CHANGE

dv/dx = Small CHANGE IN velocity / small change in depth Non Uniform

1. What do 'dv' and 'dx' stand for in the equation f = eta X A (dv/dx)?

'dv' stands for change in velocity and 'dx' stands for change in distance or position.

2. How do 'dv' and 'dx' relate to each other in the equation f = eta X A (dv/dx)?

'dv' and 'dx' are both variables representing changes in velocity and distance or position, respectively. In this equation, 'dv/dx' represents the rate of change of velocity with respect to distance or position.

3. What is the significance of 'eta' in the equation f = eta X A (dv/dx)?

'eta' represents the dynamic viscosity, which is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is an important factor in determining the force (f) required to move an object through a fluid at a certain velocity.

4. What units are used for 'dv' and 'dx' in the equation f = eta X A (dv/dx)?

The units for 'dv' and 'dx' will depend on the specific system of measurement being used. In the SI (metric) system, 'dv' is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) and 'dx' is measured in meters (m).

5. How is the equation f = eta X A (dv/dx) used in scientific research?

This equation is commonly used in fluid mechanics to calculate the drag force exerted on an object moving through a fluid. It can also be used to study the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as pipes, pumps, and turbines.