Differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates

In summary, the homework statement discusses orthogonal curvilinear coordinates and practice calculating differential operators. The author ran into an exercise where the coordinate system is only in 2D and is confused about how to proceed. They found the formulas for different operators on Wikipedia and calculated the Lamé coefficients. However, they are still confused about how to calculate the third term for the gradient and divergence. They think they are missing something, so they introduce arbitrarily a third coordinate. Finally, they thank a friend for their help.
Robin04

Homework Statement

I’m studying orthogonal curvilinear coordinates and practice calculating differential operators.
However, I’ve run across an exercise where the coordinate system is only in 2D and I’m confused about how to proceed with the calculations.

Homework Equations

A point in the plane is given by ##u## and ##v## coordinates where ##u=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}+y}{2}## and ##v=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}-y}{2}##
I’m using these formulas to calculate the operators: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_coordinates#Differential_operators_in_three_dimensions

The Attempt at a Solution

I’ve calculated the Lamé coefficients (scale factors) and got the following: ##h_u=\sqrt{\frac{v}{u}+1}##, ##h_v=\sqrt{\frac{u}{v}+1}##

In case of the gradient and the divergence I simply just didn’t calculate the third term but I don’t see how to do this with the curl and Laplace.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin04 said:

Homework Statement

I’m studying orthogonal curvilinear coordinates and practice calculating differential operators.
However, I’ve run across an exercise where the coordinate system is only in 2D and I’m confused about how to proceed with the calculations.

Homework Equations

A point in the plane is given by ##u## and ##v## coordinates where ##u=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}+y}{2}## and ##v=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}-y}{2}##
I’m using these formulas to calculate the operators: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_coordinates#Differential_operators_in_three_dimensions

The Attempt at a Solution

I’ve calculated the Lamé coefficients (scale factors) and got the following: ##h_u=\sqrt{\frac{v}{u}+1}##, ##h_v=\sqrt{\frac{u}{v}+1}##

In case of the gradient and the divergence I simply just didn’t calculate the third term but I don’t see how to do this with the curl and Laplace.

For the curl, you need a third dimension, so you could use coordinates ##(x,y,z)## or ##(u,v,z)## and a vector field of the form ##\mathbf{A} = A(x,y) \mathbf{i} + B(x,y) \mathbf{j} + 0 \mathbf{k}##.

Ray Vickson said:
For the curl, you need a third dimension, so you could use coordinates ##(x,y,z)## or ##(u,v,z)## and a vector field of the form ##\mathbf{A} = A(x,y) \mathbf{i} + B(x,y) \mathbf{j} + 0 \mathbf{k}##.

And what should I do with the scale factor? Is it 1 in this case?

Robin04 said:
And what should I do with the scale factor? Is it 1 in this case?

The link you cite provides all the information you need; just use the formulas given there.

Ray Vickson said:
The link you cite provides all the information you need; just use the formulas given there.
I think I'm missing something here. So the curl only exists in three dimensions therefore I must introduce arbitrarily a third coordinate?

Robin04 said:
I think I'm missing something here. So the curl only exists in three dimensions therefore I must introduce arbitrarily a third coordinate?

I thought that is what I said in #2.

Likes Robin04
Ray Vickson said:
I thought that is what I said in #2.

Aah, I see. And does it make sense that only the Z component of the curl is non zero? I’m still struggling to understand what these operators really mean.

Robin04 said:
Aah, I see. And does it make sense that only the Z component of the curl is non zero? I’m still struggling to understand what these operators really mean.

For any vector field ##\mathbf{A}(x,y,z)## the curl of ##\mathbf{A}## is pependicular to ##\mathbf{A}##, so if the field lies in the ##(x,y)-##plane the curl points along the ##z## direction.

Likes Robin04
Ray Vickson said:
For any vector field ##\mathbf{A}(x,y,z)## the curl of ##\mathbf{A}## is pependicular to ##\mathbf{A}##, so if the field lies in the ##(x,y)-##plane the curl points along the ##z## direction.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

1. What are differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates?

Differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates are mathematical tools used to describe the behavior of functions in a two-dimensional space that is curved or non-Cartesian. They are used to calculate derivatives and gradients of functions with respect to the two coordinate axes in a curved coordinate system.

2. How are differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates different from those in Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, the differential operators such as the gradient, divergence, and curl are represented by simple algebraic equations. In contrast, in 2D curvilinear coordinates, these operators are expressed using more complex formulas involving the metric tensor and the Christoffel symbols. Additionally, these operators may also vary depending on the specific curvilinear coordinate system used.

3. What is the significance of using differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates?

Differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates are essential in many fields of science and engineering, including electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, and general relativity. They allow for the analysis and modeling of physical phenomena in non-Cartesian coordinate systems, which are often more accurate representations of real-world systems.

4. How do you apply differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates in practice?

To apply differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates, one must first express the relevant equations in terms of the curvilinear coordinate system, using the appropriate metric tensor and Christoffel symbols. Then, the differential operators can be applied to the equations to solve for the desired quantities, such as gradients or derivatives.

5. What are some common challenges when using differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates?

One of the main challenges when using differential operators in 2D curvilinear coordinates is the complexity of the equations involved. The metric tensor and Christoffel symbols can be difficult to calculate and manipulate, making it challenging to apply the operators correctly. Additionally, the operators may produce different results depending on the choice of curvilinear coordinate system, making it important to choose an appropriate system for the specific problem at hand.