Differentiating a power series

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that for $-1 < x < 1$, the geometric series with a radius of convergence $R = 1$ can be compared to the series $\frac{1}{1-x}$ and its derivative, and that the derivative of $\frac{1}{1-x}$ matches the series. The speaker is unsure of how to prove this.
tmt1
I need to prove that for $-1 < x < 1$

$$\frac{1}{(1 - x)^2} = 1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3 ...$$

So, according to the textbook, the geometric series has a radius of convergence $R = 1$ (I'm not sure how this is true).

In any case we can compare it to:

$$\frac{1}{1 - x} =\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} x^n$$

If we differentiate it, we will get:

$$1 + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} (n + 1) x^n$$

(Or, $1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3 + 5x^4 ...$)

So, somehow I need to prove that $\frac{1}{(1 - x)^2}$ is equal to the derivative of $\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} x^n$ and I'm not sure how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I need to prove that for $-1 < x < 1$

$$\frac{1}{(1 - x)^2} = 1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3 ...$$

So, according to the textbook, the geometric series has a radius of convergence $R = 1$ (I'm not sure how this is true).

In any case we can compare it to:

$$\frac{1}{1 - x} =\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} x^n$$

If we differentiate it, we will get:

$$1 + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} (n + 1) x^n$$

(Or, $1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3 + 5x^4 ...$)

So, somehow I need to prove that $\frac{1}{(1 - x)^2}$ is equal to the derivative of $\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} x^n$ and I'm not sure how to do that.

Hi tmt! ;)

You have found that if you take the derivative of $\sum x^n$, you get a match for the series.
What do you get if you take the derivative of $\frac 1{1-x}$, which is equal to that series?

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑ an(x-c)n, where an and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of mathematical representation used to express functions as a sum of terms, with each term containing a power of the variable.

2. How do you differentiate a power series?

To differentiate a power series, you can use the power rule from calculus. This means that you multiply the coefficient of each term by the power of the variable and then decrease the power by 1. For example, if you have the power series ∑ nxn, differentiating it would result in ∑ n(n-1)xn-1.

3. What is the radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence for a power series is the distance from the center of the series (c) to the point where the series no longer converges. It is determined by using the ratio test, which compares the magnitude of successive terms in the series to determine if the series converges or diverges. The radius of convergence is always a positive number or infinity.

4. Can a power series be differentiated term by term?

Yes, a power series can be differentiated term by term as long as the series is convergent within its radius of convergence. This means that the resulting series after differentiation will also converge within the same radius. However, if the series is divergent, differentiating term by term will not work.

5. What is the relationship between power series and Taylor series?

A power series is a special case of a Taylor series, which is a type of series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. The difference between the two is that a power series can be centered at any point, while a Taylor series is centered at a specific point. Additionally, a Taylor series can also include terms with negative powers of the variable, while a power series only has positive powers.