Differentiating an exponential with a complex exponent

In summary: So in summary, when taking the partial derivative of a complex exponential, you should apply the chain rule and treat the constant term as part of the exponent. This will result in the derivative being multiplied by the coefficient of the variable being differentiated with respect to. The product rule can also be used, but the constant term must not be ignored.
Zacarias Nason
Hello, folks. I'm trying to figure out how to take the partial derivative of something with a complex exponential, like
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} e^{i(\alpha x + \beta t)} [/tex]
But I'm not really sure how to do so. I get that since I'm taking the partial w.r.t. x, I can treat t as a constant term and thus pretend it's something like
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} e^{i(\alpha x +\beta)} [/tex]
But then my confusion comes from me not being able to separate the exponent into some suitable form like
[tex] e^{\alpha + \beta i} [/tex]
I guess I could separate it into two separate ones, like
[tex] e^{i\alpha x}e^{i\beta} [/tex]

How should I deal with this, any pushes in the right direction?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You should apply the chain rule of differentiation to ##e^{f(x)}##.

Likes Zacarias Nason
Thanks, let me take a shot.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}e^{i(\alpha x +\beta t)} = e^{i (\alpha x + \beta t)} \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[i(\alpha x + \beta t)]= i \alpha e^{i (\alpha x + \beta t)}[/tex]

Likes fresh_42
Is this correct, I guess? I got the same thing by the product rule.

Edit: it must be, because when I applied this bit to the larger problem I was working on I got it right! Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Zacarias Nason said:
Is this correct, I guess? I got the same thing by the product rule.
Yes, except you lost the ##t## in your product rule. It's going to zero (in one term) as it is viewed as a constant by partial differentiation but you must not just drop it before and then again pull it out of the hat again.

Uh oh, I don't get what you just said, let me work it out again both ways and see where I'm making the mistake.

Zacarias Nason said:
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} e^{i(\alpha x + \beta t)} [/tex]
But I'm not really sure how to do so. I get that since I'm taking the partial w.r.t. x, I can treat t as a constant term and thus pretend it's something like
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} e^{i(\alpha x +\beta)} [/tex]
##t## has gone.
And you said you got the same result by product and by chain rule, so there is a ##t## again of the exponent in the result.

Likes Zacarias Nason
Oh, ok.

1. How do you differentiate an exponential with a complex exponent?

To differentiate an exponential with a complex exponent, you can use the generalized power rule. This rule states that for an expression of the form f(x) = g(x)^h(x), the derivative is f'(x) = h(x)g(x)^(h(x)-1)g'(x) + g(x)^h(x)ln(g(x))h'(x).

2. What is the role of the complex exponent in the differentiation process?

The complex exponent plays a crucial role in the differentiation process as it determines the form of the derivative. Depending on the value of the complex exponent, the derivative may contain both real and imaginary terms.

3. Can you provide an example of differentiating an exponential with a complex exponent?

Yes, for example, consider the function f(x) = e^(2+3i)x. Using the generalized power rule, the derivative is f'(x) = (2+3i)e^(2+3i)x + e^(2+3i)xln(e)x = (2+3i)e^(2+3i)x + e^(2+3i)x^2.

4. How does the differentiation process change for an exponential with a complex base and real exponent?

If the base of the exponential is complex but the exponent is real, the differentiation process is similar to that of a simple exponential function. The derivative is f'(x) = a^xln(a), where a is the complex base.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when differentiating an exponential with a complex exponent?

Yes, when the complex exponent has a constant real part, the derivative will have a similar form to that of a real exponential function. However, if the complex exponent has a constant imaginary part, the derivative will contain trigonometric functions. It is important to carefully consider the form of the complex exponent when differentiating.