Differentiating an Implicit Function: a Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the slope on the lower half of a circle with the equation y^2 + x^2 = 25. Two different methods are presented, with the first one resulting in an incorrect answer due to a mistake in solving for dy/dx. The second method is shown to be correct.
crastinus

Homework Statement

Find the expression for the slope on the lower half of the circle y^2 + x^2 = 25.

2. Attempt at a solution.

The text says you get 2x + 2y(dy/dx) = 0.

I got this and then solved for dy/dx to get dy/dx = -2y - 2x.

Then, I substituted for y the x value-expression for the lower region, y = - sqrt(25 - x^2)

and I got dy/dx = -2x - 2(sqrt(25 - x^2)).

Now the text gets the answer in another way:

2x + 2y(dy/dx) = 0;

then, 2x + 2(sqrt(25 - x^2))dy/dx = 0;

then, dy/dx = -2x/2(sqrt(25 - x^2)) = -x/sqrt(25 - x^2).

I see what they did. But what's wrong with the way I did it? Are the two answers equivalent in some way that I don't see, or how is mine wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
crastinus said:
The text says you get 2x + 2y(dy/dx) = 0.

I got this and then solved for dy/dx to get dy/dx = -2y - 2x.

Do you notice something wrong here? :)

Wow. OK. Yes, I see it. I'm going for a walk!

Thank you very much!

Likes alivedude

1. What is an implicit function?

An implicit function is a mathematical relationship between two variables where one variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the other. This means that the equation cannot be easily solved for one variable in terms of the other.

2. How do you differentiate an implicit function?

To differentiate an implicit function, you use the chain rule. This involves finding the derivative of each term in the function and then multiplying them together.

3. What is the difference between an explicit and implicit function?

An explicit function is one in which one variable is explicitly expressed in terms of the other. This means that the equation can be easily solved for one variable in terms of the other. In contrast, an implicit function does not have this property and often cannot be solved explicitly.

4. How do you differentiate a circle?

To differentiate a circle, you use the implicit differentiation method. This involves differentiating the implicit equation of the circle, which is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, with respect to x.

5. Why is implicit differentiation useful for circles?

Implicit differentiation is useful for circles because it allows us to find the derivatives of circles without having to solve for y explicitly. This makes the process much simpler and faster, especially for more complex circles.