Differentiating by two different variables -- when is it okay?

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating terms by different variables and whether or not it is acceptable. The justification for differentiating terms by different variables in this specific case is also provided.
SamRoss
Gold Member
I'm working through the problems in Mary Boas's Mathematical Methods text. Here's how she began solving one problem...

"We take differentials of the equation 1/i + 1/o = 1/f (f=constant) to get
-di/i2 - do/o2 = 0."

So on the left side the first term was differentiated with respect to i and the second term was differentiated with respect to o. Why is it okay to differentiate these terms by different variables? I'm only used to differentiating by one variable at a time.

Physics news on Phys.org
SamRoss said:
I'm working through the problems in Mary Boas's Mathematical Methods text. Here's how she began solving one problem...

"We take differentials of the equation 1/i + 1/o = 1/f (f=constant) to get
-di/i2 - do/o2 = 0."

So on the left side the first term was differentiated with respect to i and the second term was differentiated with respect to o. Why is it okay to differentiate these terms by different variables? I'm only used to differentiating by one variable at a time.
In general it is not OK.
In this case we can justify the step by first differentiating both sides wrt ##o## to get
$$-\frac{\frac{di}{do}}{i^2}-\frac1{o^2}=0$$
then multiply both sides by ##do##

andrewkirk said:
In general it is not OK.
In this case we can justify the step by first differentiating both sides wrt ##o## to get
$$-\frac{\frac{di}{do}}{i^2}-\frac1{o^2}=0$$
then multiply both sides by ##do##
I get it. Thanks very much!

1. What is differentiating by two different variables?

Differentiating by two different variables is the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to two different independent variables. It involves taking partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable separately.

2. When is it necessary to differentiate by two different variables?

Differentiating by two different variables is necessary when the function being analyzed depends on more than one independent variable. This could be the case in multivariate calculus or in problems involving multiple variables such as time and distance.

3. Is it always possible to differentiate by two different variables?

No, it is not always possible to differentiate by two different variables. The function must be continuous and differentiable with respect to both variables in order for the process to be valid. If the function is not continuous or differentiable, alternative methods may need to be used.

4. What are some applications of differentiating by two different variables?

Differentiating by two different variables is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze rates of change in systems with multiple variables. It is also useful in economics, where it can be used to optimize functions with multiple independent variables such as supply and demand.

5. Are there any limitations to differentiating by two different variables?

Yes, there are some limitations to differentiating by two different variables. The process can become more complex when there are more than two variables, and it may not always provide a complete understanding of the behavior of a function. Additionally, it is important to consider the units of the variables being differentiated to ensure the resulting derivative has meaningful units.