How Do You Differentiate f(x) = (71+x)/(1-x)?

G8gYXJlIHdlIHJlYWxseSB0eXBlc2V0LCBhbmQgaG9waW5pbmcgaXQncyByaWdodCBhcyBpdCB3YXMgcmVhZCBhIGJpdCBvZiBjb250ZW50LiBJdCBpcyBub3QgZm9yIHRoZSBkaXJlY3RvcnkgaXMgcHJvZ3JhbSEgVGhlIGZpbmFsIGFuc3dlciBpcyAxMyB4LzEgLSB4KyAybG43K
AwesomeSN

Homework Statement

Differentiate, f(x)=71+x/1-x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Working this out, hoping it's right as I was going along, my final answer is 71+x/1-x * (2ln7)/1-x

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your denominator...

Looks like you may have had a bit of a problem after you applied the chain rule. A great way to check your answers is to plug them in on www.wolframalpha.com. If you are incorrect, you can always ask us about the accuracy of your steps.

AwesomeSN said:

Homework Statement

Differentiate, f(x)=71+x/1-x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Working this out, hoping it's right as I was going along, my final answer is 71+x/1-x * (2ln7)/1-x

Please learn to typeset expressions properly; in particular, USE PARENTHESES. Your function is f(x) = 7(1+x)/(1-x). What you wrote actually means 71 + (x/1) -x = 7.

RGV

Related to How Do You Differentiate f(x) = (71+x)/(1-x)?

1. What is the natural log function?

The natural log function, denoted as ln(x), is the inverse of the exponential function. It represents the power to which the base number e (approximately 2.718) must be raised to obtain a given number.

2. How do you differentiate natural log?

To differentiate ln(x), you use the formula: d/dx(ln(x)) = 1/x. This means that the derivative of ln(x) is equal to 1 divided by x.

3. What is the derivative of ln(x) times a constant?

If you have ln(kx), where k is a constant, the derivative is equal to 1/k. This is because the constant k can be factored out of the derivative.

4. Can the natural log function be negative?

The natural log function can only be negative for values of x between 0 and 1. For all other values, the natural log function is positive. This is because the graph of ln(x) crosses the x-axis at 1 and approaches negative infinity as x approaches 0.

5. How is natural log different from logarithms with other bases?

The natural log function uses the base e, while other logarithmic functions use different bases such as 10 or 2. The properties and rules for differentiating natural log are unique to its base of e, while other logarithmic functions have their own set of rules and properties.