How Do You Prove the Derivatives of Sin and Cos Functions?

In summary, the author proves that sin = cos and cos = -sin by Differentiating the McLaurin Form for Sin and Cos.
mathfied
Hi. I believe this may have been addressed previously but I wanted to make sure since I don't think it was completed.

Hi I know that differentiating sin = cos , and differentiating cos = -sin. Time to prove it.

Q3:
Prove that: [itex]\frac{d}{{dz}}\sin z = \cos z[/itex]

We know the McLaurin form for sin is:
[itex]
\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {( - 1)^n } \frac{{z^{2n+1} }}{{(2n+1)!}} = z - z^3/3! + z^5/5! - z^7/7! +...[/itex]

differentiating sin term by term i get:
[itex]1 -3z^2/3! + 5z^4/5! - 7z^6/7! +...[/itex] =
[itex]1 -z^2/2! + z^4/4! - z^6/6! +...[/itex] =
cos z

would this be considered a "sufficient proof" . Even though I have only proved the first few terms, I am guessing we can just assume the rest is correct by the theory of induction.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just differentiate the general term in the sum, rather than each individually?

Can you prove it by induction? Then you should do so rather than just saying it can be done.

But I don't see why you only do a few terms. The McLaurin series for sin(x) is, as you say,
[itex]\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {( - 1)^n } \frac{{z^{2n+1} }}{{(2n+1)!}} [/itex]
The general term is
[tex](-1)^n \frac{2^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}[/itex]

Differentiating that gives
[tex](-1)^n(2n+1)\frac{z^{2n}}{(2n+1)!}= (-1)^n \frac{z^{2n}}{(2n)!}[/itex]

That's all you need. (Except, of course, for some "technicalities" like showing that term by term differentiation of thes series does give the derivatative of the function.)

This is, of course, assuming that you have defined sin(x) and cos(x) by these series. If you defined them in some other way (using the unit circle is common) then you would need to know the derivatives in order to find the McLaurin series. And if you do define sin(x) and cos(x) in terms of series, you would still need to prove a number of other properties from that. Have you thought about how you might prove that sin(x) and cos(x) are periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]? Or that sin2(x)+ cos2(x)= 1?

Actually, those aren't that difficult. From the derivatives, as done here, you can show that sin(x) satisfies y"= -y, with y(0)= 0, y'(0)= 1, while cos(x) satisfies y"= -y, with y(0)= 1, y'(0)= 0, and then use properties of differential equations.

Related to How Do You Prove the Derivatives of Sin and Cos Functions?

1. What is the difference between sin and cos?

Sin and cos are both trigonometric functions that are used to find the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. The main difference between them lies in the specific angles they represent. Sin represents the ratio of the length of the side opposite to an angle to the length of the hypotenuse, while cos represents the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse.

2. How do I differentiate between sin and cos in a right triangle?

To differentiate between sin and cos, you need to first identify the angle you are working with in the right triangle. Then, you can use the definitions of sin and cos to determine which ratio is needed for that angle. If the angle is opposite to the side you are looking for, you will use sin, and if it is adjacent to the side, you will use cos.

3. What is the graph of sin and cos?

The graph of sin and cos are both sinusoidal curves, with sin being a sine wave and cos being a cosine wave. They both oscillate between -1 and 1 and have a period of 360 degrees or 2π radians. The main difference between the two graphs is that the graph of sin starts at (0,0) and increases in the positive direction, while the graph of cos starts at (1,0) and decreases in the negative direction.

4. How do I use sin and cos to solve trigonometric equations?

To solve trigonometric equations, you need to use the properties of sin and cos to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable. You can use the inverse functions, arcsin and arccos, to undo the trigonometric functions and solve for the variable. Additionally, you can use trigonometric identities and the unit circle to simplify the equations and find solutions.

5. Can I use sin and cos in non-right triangles?

Yes, you can use sin and cos in non-right triangles, but you will need additional information such as the length of the sides or angles of the triangle. In this case, you would use the law of sines or the law of cosines to find the missing information and then use sin and cos to solve for the desired variable. It is important to note that these trigonometric functions may not be as accurate in non-right triangles as they are in right triangles.