Differentiating Vectors

In summary, the author is trying to solve the following equation: dr/dt = vcos(θ). However, they are not sure how to evaluate the derivative and are stuck.
cc94

Homework Statement

I was reading about the Hermite integration scheme for N-body simulations, as seen here: http://www.artcompsci.org/kali/vol/two_body_problem_2/ch11.html#rdocsect76

This scheme uses jerk, the time rate of change of acceleration. The problem is that I don't know how to correctly evaluate the derivative of the acceleration equation shown there.

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{a} = \frac{GM}{r^2}\vec{\hat{r}} [/tex]
[tex] \vec{j} = GM\left(\frac{\vec{v}}{r^3} - 3 \frac{(\vec{r} \cdot \vec{v})\vec{r}}{r^5}\right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I rewrote the unit vector in a to get:
[tex]\vec{a}= \frac{GM\vec{r} }{r^3}[/tex]

To differentiate, I applied the quotient rule:
[tex]\frac{d\vec{a}}{dt} = GM\frac{r^3\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} - \vec{r}\frac{dr^3}{dt}}{r^6} [/tex]

The first term is obviously v/r^3, but the second term is where I'm confused. I can get the right answer by using the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{\frac{dr^3}{dt}}{r^6} = \frac{3r^2\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}}{r^6} = \frac{3\vec{r}\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}}{r^5} = \frac{3(\vec{r}\cdot\vec{v})}{r^5}[/tex]

but I'm just arbitrarily changing the scalar r into the vector r. What's the right way to do this step?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is correct, but the steps are all wrong: the first because it equates a scalar to a vector, the second because it contains a meaningless multiplication of two vectors, and the third because it then somehow gets back to a scalar quantity.
Instead, keep the amounts as scalars all the way along. Start with:
$$\frac{d(r^3)}{dt}=3r^2\frac{dr}{dt}$$
Then draw a diagram and try to express ##\frac{dr}{dt}## in terms of ##\vec v## and ##\vec r##. You may find it convenient to use ##\hat r##, the unit vector in the direction of ##\vec r##, along the way.

Ok so, if we draw [itex]\vec{r} = r\hat{r}[/itex] on the plane, for instance, then the change in length will depend on which direction v is pointing. In the limit of a small time step dt, the change of length r is equal to v*dt*cos(θ), where θ is the angle between v and r. I.e.
[tex]\frac{dr}{dt} = vcos\theta[/tex]

So we pull one of the 'r's from in front to get r*v*cos(θ), which is indeed equal to the dot product r·v. The remaining r cancels one in the bottom to get the r^5 term.

Yes, that's it!

What is vector differentiation?

Vector differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a vector function, which is a function that takes in a vector input and outputs a vector. It is similar to regular differentiation, but takes into account the direction and magnitude of the vector.

Why is vector differentiation important?

Vector differentiation is important because it allows us to study and analyze vector functions, which are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields. It also allows us to calculate rates of change and optimize vector quantities.

What is the difference between scalar and vector differentiation?

The main difference between scalar and vector differentiation is that scalar differentiation only takes into account the magnitude of a quantity, while vector differentiation takes into account both the magnitude and direction of a quantity.

What are some common techniques used for vector differentiation?

Some common techniques used for vector differentiation include the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule. Other techniques such as the gradient, divergence, and curl operators can also be used for vector differentiation.

How is vector differentiation used in real-world applications?

Vector differentiation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics to study motion and forces, in computer graphics to create realistic animations, and in economics to analyze supply and demand curves. It is also used in engineering to optimize designs and in navigation to track the movement of objects.