Differentproof there are more irrational numbers than rational numbers

In summary: Your intuition is correct. However, this proof is not valid because there exist irrational numbers that are not on the list.
japplepie
you can list and match up all rational numbers with irrational numbers this way..

lets say i have an irrational number 'c'.
Rational->Irrational
r1->cr1
r2->cr2
rn->crn

There exists an irrational number that is not on this matching, (not equal to any of the crx's)

this irrational number can be made by multiplying c to another irrational number 'b'

and I can prove that this is not on the list because cb never equals crx because b is irrational and rx is rational

is this a valid proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
You also need to prove that the product of an irrational number and a rational number is irrational, otherwise it is possible that some of the numbers on the right hand side of the list are rational, and also that it is possible to select b such that bc is irrational, otherwise the fact that bc is not on the right hand side of the list means nothing.

Last edited:
well, if we assume crx is rational then c must be rational which is not the case (proof by contradiction)

japplepie said:
you can list and match up all rational numbers with irrational numbers this way..

Rational->Irrational
r1->cr1
r2->cr2
rn->crn

There exists an irrational number that is not on this matching, (not equal to any of the crx's)

this irrational number can be made by multiplying c to another irrational number 'b'

and I can prove that this is not on the list because cb never equals crx because b is irrational and rx is rational

is this a valid proof?
no!

Try the same approach substituting "algebraic" for "irrational". The "proof" looks the same. However "algebraic" numbers form a countable set.

japplepie said:
well, if we assume crx is rational then c must be rational

Why?

This also does not address how to choose b.

Actually Mathman is right - the whole approach is flawed. Just because one mapping from members of set A to set B does not span all the elements of set B does not prove that set B has a higher cardinality than set A.

Take for instance the mapping of integers ## k ## to ## 2k ##. There are integers not on the right hand side, but this does not mean that there are more integers than there are integers!

MrAnchovy said:
Actually Mathman is right - the whole approach is flawed. Just because one mapping from members of set A to set B does not span all the elements of set B does not prove that set B has a higher cardinality than set A.

Take for instance the mapping of integers ## k ## to ## 2k ##. There are integers not on the right hand side, but this does not mean that there are more integers than there are integers!

well, how did the diagonalization argument side-step this problem?

if I am not mistaken, you're saying that i need show there exists no bijection in any kind of listing?

japplepie said:
well, how did the diagonalization argument side-step this problem?

if I am not mistaken, you're saying that i need show there exists no bijection in any kind of listing?

The diagonalization argument works because it considers every kind of listing. That is: you take an arbitrary listing, then diagonalization says it can't work. If the diagonalization argument only considered one specific listing, then it wouldn't work.

that's absolutely right

how can i show that without diagonalization?

japplepie said:
that's absolutely right

how can i show that without diagonalization?

Show what?

micromass said:
Show what?

show something that can be generalized to every possible bijection (without the logic behind diagonalization).

and also, can i show that one infinite set is bigger than the other if there is at least one matching that is infinite to one (for all elements).

japplepie said:

Rational->Irrational
r1->cr1
r2->cr2
rn->crn

is this a valid proof?

Well, you can use your map to inject the rationals into the irrationals, but , if it were also possible to inject the irrationals into the rationals, you would have a bijection between the two--by Schroeder-Bernstein.

can't I really do this? cause it really looks like i can

i understand that everything that everyone above is true and I am grateful for such smart replies

but my intuition tells me that this is "kind of" valid

for every rational, i can construct an irrational which gives a bijection
there is NO WAY of creating another rational that is not accounted for
and there are infinitely many ways of creating another irrational that is not yet accounted for

it seems valid in the perspective of constructivism

japplepie said:
can't I really do this?

No you can't.

japplepie said:

No, that's an injection. A bijection goes both ways.

japplepie said:
there is NO WAY of creating another rational that is not accounted for
and there are infinitely many ways of creating another irrational that is not yet accounted for

So what? ## \aleph_0 + \aleph_0 = \aleph_0 ##.

MrAnchovy said:
No, that's an injection. A bijection goes both ways.

its a bijection f(x)=cx;
unique rational <-maps-> unique irrational

japplepie said:
its a bijection f(x)=cx;
unique rational <-maps-> unique irrational

It's not a surjection. Not every irrational is mapped to.

micromass said:
It's not a surjection. Not every irrational is mapped to.

its a bijection only by that step

japplepie said:
its a bijection only by that step

Prove it. Take any irrational ##a##, what is the rational number ##x## such that ##f(x) = a##?

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be written as a fraction of two integers. They are numbers that cannot be expressed as terminating or repeating decimals.

2. Can you prove that there are more irrational numbers than rational numbers?

Yes, it has been proven by mathematicians that there are infinitely more irrational numbers than rational numbers. The proof involves showing that the set of irrational numbers is uncountable, meaning that it cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

3. How do you define a rational number?

A rational number is any number that can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. This includes both terminating and repeating decimals.

4. Are there any real-life applications of irrational numbers?

Yes, irrational numbers are used in many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, the value of pi, which is an irrational number, is used in calculations involving circles and curves, and the golden ratio, another irrational number, is often used in art and design.

5. Is there a pattern to irrational numbers?

No, there is no discernible pattern to irrational numbers. They are considered to be random and unpredictable, and their decimal representations do not have any repeating sequences.