Difficult situation in auto repair needs ideas

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a socket falling into a spark plug hole in a van engine. After trying different methods, including using a magnet and turning the engine over, the speakers consider using a sticky substance or a vacuum to retrieve the socket and magnetic tip. They also mention that it would be a difficult and time-consuming job to take apart the engine to retrieve the parts.
jonaq
We were working on the van yesterday changing spark plugs. the air filter was in the way so I went to remove it and a small socket fell into the open spark plug hole into the cylinder. We went out and bought a small spring loaded magnet to fish it out, but it kept picking it up from the side and falling off once it hit the hole (too long to fit that direction). I went in side to look for a different magnet and Ray tried. Well he managed to drop the magnetic tip in the cylinder as well ! I put the new magnet in and pulled the socket out first try! Now we have to try and get the magnet tip out. It id stuck to the cylinder wall up high. (we have a camera probe that can see it) As you can see by my sketch it is a real tough spot and no room to move. The spark plugs on this motor are completely recessed in the head so the hole for the plug is at the bottom of a 1" diameter tube about 5" deep! We have thought about building a strong electro magnet and sticking it in the hole and drawing it off the wall, but not sure how to do that. might try a shop vac, but don't have very high hopes of that working. I thought that maybe you guys might have an idea .It is about a 10 hour job to take this apart to retrieve it!
thanks
John

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing to consider is to turn the engine over by hand to move the piston higher and maybe make the parts more accessible.

Consider putting a sticky substance on the end of a dowel and see if you can poke the parts and get them to stick...you should try a test outside the cylinder first to see if you
can get similar tools to stick and be lifted...

Another possibility is to attach a vacuum hose to a thin pice of flex tubing...may a few feet of clear vinyl tubing...small enough to get thru the spark plug hole...'suck it out'.

good luck.

1. What are some common difficult situations in auto repair?

Some common difficult situations in auto repair include engine failures, electrical issues, transmission problems, and body damage. These can be caused by various factors such as wear and tear, accidents, and manufacturer defects.

2. How can I come up with ideas to solve difficult situations in auto repair?

One way to come up with ideas is to consult with experienced mechanics or do research online. Additionally, thinking creatively and being open to trying new solutions can also help in finding ideas to solve difficult situations in auto repair.

3. Are there any preventative measures to avoid difficult situations in auto repair?

Yes, there are preventative measures that can be taken to avoid difficult situations in auto repair. Regular maintenance and servicing, careful and responsible driving, and addressing any minor issues promptly can help prevent larger and more costly repairs in the long run.

4. What should I do if I encounter a difficult situation in auto repair that I cannot solve on my own?

If you encounter a difficult situation in auto repair that you cannot solve on your own, it is best to seek professional help from a certified mechanic. Trying to fix the issue without the proper knowledge and experience can lead to further damage and potentially harm yourself.

5. Are there any tips for handling difficult situations in auto repair efficiently?

Some tips for handling difficult situations in auto repair efficiently include staying calm and focused, thoroughly assessing the problem before taking any action, and seeking help or advice from experienced mechanics or online forums. It is also important to have a well-stocked toolbox and to follow proper safety precautions.