Can wet hair cause an electric shock if it gets into outlet/power cord

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential dangers of wet hair getting into electrical sockets and the importance of GFCI outlets in preventing electric shocks in such situations. The speaker also mentions the building code requirements for GFCI outlets in certain areas and explains how they work to protect against ground faults. They advise against putting wet hair into sockets and emphasize the effectiveness of GFCI outlets in preventing accidents.
kma
Hi I have a very random question I would like to ask. Say if someone just got out the shower and either plugged something into the wall, or plugged a high voltage power cord into a device. In the process of doing so a small clump or strand of their wet hair manages to get into the socket or the holes. What would happen to them, would they potentially get shocked or worse, or is the resistance high enough (seen as hair doesn’t conduct it’d be relying on the wetness) to prevent a too high current going in. Very random question I know but it makes me curious xD

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is why by building codes (in most locations) a GFCI outlet or circuit is required in places where you can have wet people. GFCI outlets are required by code in the US in bathrooms, and in kitchens if the outlet is within some distance from the sinks. GFCI outlets and protection are also required for outdoor outlets where people may be plugging in tools and it can get wet due to rain, etc.

Are you aware of GFCI protection and the building code requirements associated with them? They are used to protect against ground faults by people to AC Mains "hot" conductors. When they detect a ground fault current (say by a hair dryer falling into the bathtub into your lap), they open circuit the Hot conductor in the outlet so quickly that there is not enough time for a lethal shock to be delivered to the person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd, russ_watters, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
@kma your questions do not seem random. What are you contemplating? Clean water is not a good conductor. Salt water is very much better.

The classic "toaster falls into the tub" scenario is lethal because your salty pink body is interposed in fresh water between the toaster (120 volts fused at 15 amps in US) and the drainpipe which is likely a very good ground. The nontrivial current will choose your body as the preferred path. So don't make toast in the tub.

Wet hair in the plug might give a shock and a burn but is probably less lethal. However do not put wet hair in your plug/socket.

Do install a GFCI: they are very effective. If the current going through them is not balanced (in=out) they know this almost instantly and save your pink flesh.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman

1. Can wet hair really cause an electric shock if it gets into an outlet or power cord?

Yes, wet hair can potentially cause an electric shock if it comes into contact with an outlet or power cord. This is because water is a conductor of electricity, and wet hair can provide a pathway for the electric current to flow through.

2. How does wet hair act as a conductor of electricity?

Water molecules contain charged particles, known as ions, that can carry an electric current. When wet hair comes into contact with an outlet or power cord, the water in the hair can facilitate the flow of electricity, leading to an electric shock.

3. Are there any safety precautions I can take to prevent an electric shock from wet hair?

Yes, there are a few safety measures you can take to reduce the risk of an electric shock from wet hair. First, always make sure your hands and hair are completely dry before handling any electrical appliances. Additionally, never use electrical devices near water or while standing on a wet surface.

4. What should I do if I experience an electric shock from wet hair?

If you do experience an electric shock from wet hair, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Even if the shock seems minor, it is best to get checked by a medical professional to ensure there are no underlying injuries.

5. Can using a hair dryer on wet hair increase the risk of an electric shock?

Yes, using a hair dryer on wet hair can increase the risk of an electric shock. This is because the hair dryer produces heat and can cause the water in the hair to evaporate and create steam, increasing the conductivity of the hair and making it more susceptible to electric shocks.