Difficult time with motion graphs & dynamics

In summary, the figure shows the speed of a person's body doing a chin-up, with a mass of 72.7 kg. The force exerted by the chin-up bar on his body can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where m is the mass and a is the acceleration. After solving for the acceleration at 1.6s, which is -60m/s^2, the force can be determined to be 3649.54 N.
devilish_wit

Homework Statement

The figure below shows the speed of a person's body as he does a chin-up. Assume the motion is vertical and the mass of the person's body is 72.7 kg. Determine the force exerted by the chin-up bar on his body at the following times.

5-p-041.gif

My answers:

upload_2018-10-8_15-29-4.png

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to solve that last part:

I solved for the acceleration at 1.6s which is -60m/s^2.

F = ma
-mg + T = m a
T = 72.7kg(60m/s^2) + (9.8m/s^2)(72.7kg)
T = 3649.54?? (this one's wrong)

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-8_15-29-4.png
    upload_2018-10-8_15-29-4.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 740
  • 5-p-041.gif
    5-p-041.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 738
Physics news on Phys.org
oh never mind guys, I realized I made a stupid mistake. My acceleration was in cm/s and not in m/s!

1. What is a motion graph?

A motion graph is a visual representation of the motion of an object over time. It shows the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time.

2. How do I interpret a motion graph?

To interpret a motion graph, you need to look at the shape of the graph. A flat line represents zero velocity, while a curved line represents changing velocity. The steeper the slope of the line, the greater the velocity. The area under the curve represents the distance traveled by the object.

3. What is the difference between position, velocity, and acceleration?

Position refers to the location of an object in space, while velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time.

4. How can I use motion graphs to analyze an object's motion?

Motion graphs can help you analyze an object's motion by allowing you to calculate its velocity and acceleration at different points in time, as well as determining its distance and displacement. They can also help you identify any changes in an object's motion, such as when it speeds up, slows down, or changes direction.

5. What are some common misconceptions about motion graphs?

One common misconception is that the slope of a position-time graph always represents velocity. In reality, the slope represents average velocity, while instantaneous velocity can be calculated by finding the tangent to the curve at a specific point. Another misconception is that a flat line on a velocity-time graph always represents zero acceleration. In fact, a flat line can also represent a constant acceleration of zero.