Difficulties with getting a relation into 3NF

In summary, Third Normal Form (3NF) is a level of database normalization that eliminates data redundancy and improves data integrity, simplifies data retrieval, and minimizes storage space. The main difficulty with getting a relation into 3NF is identifying and resolving functional dependencies, which can be time-consuming and may require restructuring of the data. Functional dependencies can be identified by analyzing the attributes in a relation. Having a relation in 3NF offers benefits such as improved data integrity, easier data maintenance, and increased database performance. A relation can be in multiple levels of normalization, with the goal of achieving the highest level possible for the given data.
Mateusz Szost

Homework Statement

R(ABCDEF)
D->F
AB->C
E->F
C->BD
D->E

Decompose R into dependency preserving 3NF

Homework Equations

F = {D->F, AB->C, E->F, C->BD, D->E}

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is to first construct the minimal basis for the FD set F, which is G={A->C, E->F, C->B, C->D, D->E} (hopefully correct). Then I created a set of relations over all the FD's in G, which is as following:

S0(AC)
S1(EF)
S2(CB)
S3(CD)
S4(DE)

Then I also add a relation, whose schema forms a key. The key for the relation R is AB and therefore I added S5(AB), so the complete solution is:

S0(AC)
S1(EF)
S2(CB)
S3(CD)
S4(DE)
S5(AB)

But afterwards, when I test this solution if it fills the requirements to be in 3NF, then it is incorrect. Firstly, my definition of a relation in 3NF is if X->A is a FD that holds in a relation, then X is a superkey or A is a prime (an attribute that is part of a key). The functional dependency C-D will fail in my solution because it doesn't fill either of the requirements.

Have I constructed the minimal basis incorrectly? I don't know why I can't get this all right.

If you have a very simple and effective algorithm to decompose a relation into 3NF, then please let me know it so I will be better at decomposing relations into 3NF.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am a scientist and I would like to help you with decomposing R into dependency preserving 3NF.

Firstly, your minimal basis is correct. However, your solution is not in 3NF because the functional dependency C->D does not satisfy the requirements. To decompose R into 3NF, we can follow these steps:

1. Identify all the candidate keys for the relation R. In this case, AB is a candidate key.

2. Create a relation for each functional dependency in the minimal basis G, using the left-hand side of the dependency as the key.

3. For each remaining attribute in R, identify the relation that has the smallest key that includes that attribute. If there is no such relation, create a new relation with the attribute as the key.

4. Combine all the resulting relations into a new set of relations, which will be in 3NF.

In this case, the resulting set of relations would be:

S0(AB)
S1(AC)
S2(EF)
S3(CB)
S4(CD)
S5(DE)

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is 3NF and why is it important in database design?

Third Normal Form (3NF) is a level of database normalization that ensures data is organized in a logical and efficient manner. It eliminates data redundancy and ensures that each piece of data is stored in only one place, reducing the risk of data inconsistency. 3NF is important in database design because it improves data integrity, simplifies data retrieval, and minimizes storage space.

2. What are the difficulties with getting a relation into 3NF?

The main difficulty with getting a relation into 3NF is identifying and resolving any functional dependencies within the data. This requires a deep understanding of the data and its relationships, as well as knowledge of normalization techniques. It can also be time-consuming and may require restructuring of the data, which can be challenging if the database is already in use.

3. How do you identify functional dependencies in a relation?

Functional dependencies can be identified by analyzing the attributes in a relation and determining which attributes are dependent on others. This can involve looking at the data itself or consulting with the database users to understand the purpose and relationships of the data. It is important to identify all functional dependencies in order to properly normalize the data.

4. What are the benefits of having a relation in 3NF?

Having a relation in 3NF offers several benefits, including improved data integrity, easier data maintenance, and increased database performance. It also allows for more efficient and accurate data retrieval, as well as easier data manipulation and database management. Overall, 3NF helps to ensure that data is organized in a logical and efficient manner.

5. Can a relation be in multiple levels of normalization?

Yes, a relation can be in multiple levels of normalization. For example, a relation may be in 1NF and 2NF, but not in 3NF. In this case, further normalization would be necessary to achieve 3NF. It is also possible for a relation to be in 3NF and still have some anomalies, in which case it would need to be further normalized to higher levels. The goal is to achieve the highest level of normalization possible for the given data.