Finding the Resistance of a Fault in a Pair of Transmission Lines

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with two parallel cables that have a fault in the insulation between them. The resistance of the cables is not uniform, and the value of resistor R5 represents the fault. The conversation goes on to explain the process of finding the value of R5 through a series of equations and scenarios. The purpose of R5 is to formulate equations to solve for the resistance at the location of the fault. A fault is an unexpected situation in a circuit where the insulation between cables has deteriorated or failed, causing an unwanted bridging of the cables.
Seneka

Homework Statement

https://www.bpho.org.uk/user/pages/05.past-papers/06.as-challenge/_general/BPhO_AS_2010_QP.pdf

12. A combination of resistors shown below represents a pair of transmission lines with a fault in
the insulation between them. The wires have a uniform resistance, but do not have the same
resistance as each other. The following procedure is used to find the value of the resistance R5.
upload_2018-10-27_9-59-11.png
A potential difference of 1.5 V is connected in turn across various points in the arrangement.

With 1.5 V applied across terminals AC a current of 37.5 mA flows
With 1.5 V applied across terminals BD a current of 25 mA flows
With 1.5 V applied across terminals AB a current of 30 mA flows
With 1.5 V applied across terminals CD a current of 15 mA flows

a) Write down four equations relating the potential difference, the resistor values and the
currents.

b) Determine the value of resistor R5.

c) If the ends C and D are connected together, what would be the resistance measured between
A and B?

d) If the length AC (and also BD) is 60 metres of resistive wire, how far from A (or C) does the
fault occur?

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do all the questions up to part d after which I just blanked. I don't know where or how to approach this question and I'm not sure if it is a gap in my knowledge. Please help!

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-27_9-59-11.png
    upload_2018-10-27_9-59-11.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the characteristics of resistive wire? Do you recall voltage dividers? How about potentiometers?

gneill said:
What are the characteristics of resistive wire? Do you recall voltage dividers? How about potentiometers?

Do you want me to recall R=(resistivity X length) / Area
V out = V in X (R1/R1+R2)
Can you explain the question to me please. I don't understand what a fault is and how the circuit above models the situation. Is R5 supposed to represent the fault?

Yes R5 is the fault. There are two parallel cables with differing resistivities. Somewhere along their length a fault has developed in the insulation that separates the cables. The important thing to know is that the fault occurs at the same location (distance along the cable) for both cables.

gneill said:
Yes R5 is the fault. There are two parallel cables with differing resistivities. Somewhere along their length a fault has developed in the insulation that separates the cables. The important thing to know is that the fault occurs at the same location (distance along the cable) for both cables.

Okay I'm starting to see where this is going. Since AC and BD are equal. R5 has split that length in the same ratio so R1/R2=R3/R4 and you can solve it that or way or because R1+R3=25 and R3+R4= 75 you can see that the fault is a quarter of the way/15m from A/B. I get that but what is the purpose of R5. What is a fault?

Seneka said:
Okay I'm starting to see where this is going. Since AC and BD are equal. R5 has split that length in the same ratio so R1/R2=R3/R4 and you can solve it that or way or because R1+R3=25 and R3+R4= 75 you can see that the fault is a quarter of the way/15m from A/B. I get that but what is the purpose of R5. What is a fault?
A fault is any unexpected situations that arise in a circuit that were not part of the system's design or part of normal operation. In this case the insulation between the cables has deteriorated or failed in some fashion causing an unwanted bridging of the cables at the location of the fault.

gneill said:
A fault is any unexpected situations that arise in a circuit that were not part of the system's design or part of normal operation. In this case the insulation between the cables has deteriorated or failed in some fashion causing an unwanted bridging of the cables at the location of the fault.

Okay and the purpose of R5 was to be able to link the resistors to formulate equations.

Seneka said:
Okay and the purpose of R5 was to be able to link the resistors to formulate equations.
More or less. R5 represents the fault. When insulation fails it usually doesn't produce a zero-resistance path. Typically it's some charred (carbonized) material with perhaps water infiltration, too.

gneill said:
More or less. R5 represents the fault. When insulation fails it usually doesn't produce a zero-resistance path. Typically it's some charred (carbonized) material with perhaps water infiltration, too.
Ah okay thanks!

1. What is the definition of electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor or material. It is a form of energy that is essential for powering many devices and machines in our daily lives.

2. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated through various methods, such as burning fossil fuels, using nuclear reactions, harnessing the power of wind or water, or through solar energy. These methods involve converting other forms of energy into electrical energy.

3. What are the different types of electricity?

The three main types of electricity are static electricity, current electricity, and alternating current (AC) electricity. Static electricity is the buildup of charge on an object, current electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, and AC electricity is a type of current that constantly changes direction.

4. How does electricity travel through wires?

Electricity travels through wires by a process called "electron flow". Electrons, which are negatively charged particles, move from a higher potential to a lower potential, creating an electric current. This flow of electrons is what powers our devices and machines.

5. What are the main components of an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit consists of four main components: a power source (such as a battery or generator), a load (a device that uses the electricity), conductors (such as wires) to carry the electricity, and a switch (to control the flow of electricity).