Difficulty in understanding contracted Bianchi identities

In summary, the proof of the contracted Bianchi identities involves the use of symmetries and antisymmetries of the Riemann tensor to show that the summation indices do not affect the overall result. This means that different names for the summation indices do not change the outcome of the proof.
lichen1983312
I am confused about the contraction in the proof of the contracted Bianchi identities in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofs_involving_covariant_derivatives

from the step
[tex] {g^{bn}}(R_{bmn;l}^m - R_{bml;n}^m + R_{bnl;m}^m) = 0[/tex]
it seems that the following two quantities are equal
[tex]{g^{bn}}R_{bml;n}^m = R_{l;n}^n[/tex]
[tex]- {g^{bn}}R_{bnl;m}^m = R_{l;m}^m[/tex]
but I don't understand how is this done if I write them explicitly
[tex]{g^{bn}}({\nabla _n}R)_{bml}^m[/tex]
[tex]- {g^{bn}}({\nabla _m}R)_{bnl}^m[/tex]
Can anybody help me? I am new to this field and I feel there is something missing. Please help to point out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only difference between the terms is the name of the summation index. Sums do not depend on what you call the summation indices.

Orodruin said:
The only difference between the terms is the name of the summation index. Sums do not depend on what you call the summation indices.
Thanks for replying. you are right it doesn't matter what dummy indices are used for summation. But I feel that here is a game of cancling indecis, which does not make sense. does the proof imply
[tex]{g^{bn}}R_{bml}^m = R_l^n[/tex]
and
[tex]{g^{bn}}R_{bnl}^m = -R_l^m[/tex]
in this case
[tex]- {g^{bn}}R_{bnl}^m = R_l^m = {g^{bm}}R_{bkl}^k[/tex]
I just don't see how this is true

There is no cancelling of indices, just the definition of the Ricci tensor and use of the symmetries of the Riemann tensor.

Orodruin said:
There is no cancelling of indices, just the definition of the Ricci tensor and use of the symmetries of the Riemann tensor.
Can you be more specific? is this relationship right?

[tex] - {g^{bn}}R_{bnl}^m = R_l^m = {g^{bm}}R_{bkl}^k[/tex]

sorry for haunting you. I have been stuck here for 2 days.

I suggest using the symmetries and antisymmetries of the Riemann tensor with all indices lowered and you should be able to figure it out.

1. What are contracted Bianchi identities?

Contracted Bianchi identities are a set of mathematical equations used in differential geometry that describe the relationship between the curvature and torsion of a manifold. They are named after the Italian mathematician Luigi Bianchi who first developed them in 1898.

2. Why is it difficult to understand contracted Bianchi identities?

Understanding contracted Bianchi identities can be difficult because they involve complex mathematical concepts and notations, such as covariant derivatives and tensor calculus. Additionally, their application in physics and cosmology can be challenging for those without a strong background in these fields.

3. How are contracted Bianchi identities used in physics?

Contracted Bianchi identities are used in physics, particularly in the study of general relativity and cosmology, to describe the behavior of spacetime and the relationship between matter and energy. They play a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of Einstein's field equations.

4. What are some practical applications of contracted Bianchi identities?

Contracted Bianchi identities have many practical applications in physics and engineering. They are used in the design and analysis of structures, such as bridges and buildings, to determine their stability and strength. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetics.

5. How can I better understand contracted Bianchi identities?

To better understand contracted Bianchi identities, it is important to have a strong grasp of differential geometry and tensor calculus. Additionally, studying their applications in physics and engineering can provide a practical understanding of these equations. Working through practice problems and seeking assistance from a mathematics or physics tutor can also be helpful.