Difficulty with accumulations points

In summary: Again, this is a very easy example, so if you're having trouble understanding this concept, try examples.In summary, Homework Equations provide an explanation of how to find an accumulation point of a set. It helps to think of it as finding a sequence of points that gets arbitrarily close to a given value. There are many sequences of rationals that converge to sqrt(2), and Halls gave you an easy one to start with.
sitia

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I'm having real difficulty with understanding accumulation points. I don' really know why that is since others seem to understand the concept fine but I'm very lost.
For example, I'm practicing some questions and one of the is :
If S is the set of rational numbers with 1<x<2, then is √2 is an accumulation point?

I am completely lost in how to go about figuring this out.
Examples help, so if you have any good examples that could make this concept a little clearer, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly, is your understanding of the definition of "accumulation point"? One that is commonly used is "p is an accumulation point of set A if and only if there exist a sequence of points in A (not including p) that converges to p. Another is that every neighborhood of p contains at least one point of A (other than p).

[itex]\sqrt{2}= 1.41421...[/itex], right? So given any [itex]\delta> 0[/itex], there exist a power of 10 such that [itex]10^n< \delta[/itex]. Cutting that number off after n decimal places gives a rational number closer to [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] than [itex]\delta[/itex].

More generally, given any real number, there exist a sequence of rational numbers converging to it.

I struggle with how/what process I need to follow to find accumulation pts of a set or determining of a given value is an accumulation pt.

Do you know what the definition of "accumulation point" is? It sounds like you are saying you don't.

You are right, I have the definition but that's when I'm struggling...truly understanding it and applying it.

Does it help to put it like this: p is an accumulation point of S if you can get arbitrarily close to it by picking points of S-{p}.
There's any number of sequences of rationals in [1,2] that converge to sqrt(2). Halls gave you a very easy and obvious one. Another is to start with x = 1 and generate a sequence of rationals by iterating x' = 1/(1+x) + 1. (You can get that formula by writing y2 - 1 = 1, so (y-1) = 1/(y+1).)

Related to Difficulty with accumulations points

1. What are accumulation points?

Accumulation points, also known as limit points or cluster points, are points in a set where every neighborhood of the point contains infinitely many other points from the set.

2. How do you determine if a point is an accumulation point?

To determine if a point is an accumulation point, you need to check if every open interval containing the point contains infinitely many other points from the set. If this is the case, then the point is an accumulation point.

3. Can a set have more than one accumulation point?

Yes, a set can have more than one accumulation point. In fact, a set can have infinitely many accumulation points, depending on the nature of the set.

4. Are accumulation points the same as limit points?

Yes, accumulation points, limit points, and cluster points all refer to the same concept. They are points in a set where every neighborhood contains infinitely many other points from the set.

5. Why is understanding accumulation points important in mathematics?

Understanding accumulation points is important in mathematics because it helps us determine the behavior of a set and its elements. It is also a fundamental concept in real analysis and topology, and is used in many mathematical proofs and applications.