Diffraction pattern of a light beam from a narrow slit

In summary, the question asks whether the diffraction patterns from a narrow slit and a thread are completely identical, totally different, or identical except for the center. The instructor chose "totally different" while the student argues for "completely identical." However, the key is in the wording of the problem statement, which specifies a "narrow slit" and not a double slit. Therefore, the instructor's choice of "totally different" is correct. Additionally, the width of the laser beam may also affect the diffraction pattern in the thread experiment, but this is not relevant to the given problem statement.
-Aladdin-
Actually, I'm studying for my entrance exams to college.
I think the professor made a mistake.
So , the question says :

A diffraction pattern of a light beam from a narrow slit and from a thread are :
a)Completely identical
b)Totally different
c)Identical except for the center.

He choosed b , but I say a .

Who's correct and why , thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org

-Aladdin- said:
Actually, I'm studying for my entrance exams to college.
I think the professor made a mistake.
So , the question says :

A diffraction pattern of a light beam from a narrow slit and from a thread are :
a)Completely identical
b)Totally different
c)Identical except for the center.

He choosed b , but I say a .

Who's correct and why , thanks a lot.

I have to side with your instructor. The problem statement said "narrow slit" not double slit.

Assuming that both the "narrow slit" and the "thread" experiments involve a culminated laser beam as the light source, will either of them form an "interference" pattern in addition to any diffraction pattern? And when considering the diffraction pattern alone of the thread experiment (ignoring any possible interference pattern, just for the moment), does the width of the laser beam itself play a part in the resultant pattern?

What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, encounters an obstacle or a slit and bends around it. This results in the spreading out of the wave and the formation of a pattern of light or dark bands.

How does diffraction occur in a narrow slit?

When a narrow slit is illuminated by a light beam, the light wave passes through the slit and spreads out on the other side. This causes interference between the diffracted waves, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark fringes known as a diffraction pattern.

Why is the diffraction pattern of a light beam from a narrow slit important?

The diffraction pattern of a light beam from a narrow slit is important because it provides information about the properties of the light wave and the slit itself. It can also be used to determine the wavelength of the light, as well as the size of the slit.

What factors affect the diffraction pattern of a light beam from a narrow slit?

The diffraction pattern of a light beam from a narrow slit is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the size of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen where the pattern is observed. It is also influenced by the shape and material of the slit.

How is the diffraction pattern of a light beam from a narrow slit used in real-world applications?

The diffraction pattern of a light beam from a narrow slit has many practical applications, such as in the design of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes. It is also used in diffraction gratings, which are used to separate different wavelengths of light in spectroscopy. Additionally, the principles of diffraction are essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which have numerous technological and scientific applications.