Intensity of Diffraction Pattern

In summary, the interference pattern from a light source with a wavelength of 580 nm produces an interference pattern with a smaller intensity at the angular position of θ_1.
Stendhal

Homework Statement

An interference pattern is produced by light with a wavelength 580 nm from a distant source incident on two identical parallel slits separated by a distance (between centers) of 0.480 mm .

Let the slits have a width 0.320 mm . In terms of the intensity I_0 at the center of the central maximum, what is the intensity at the angular position of θ_1?

Edit: Apologies in advance for the messy equation below. I'm not quite sure how to use the toolbar above for subscripts and exponents.

Homework Equations

I_1 = I_0 * cos^2((π*d*sin(θ_1) / λ)*((sin(π*a*sin(θ_1)/λ)/(π*a*sin(θ_1)/λ))^2

θ_1 = 1.21*10^-3 rad

d = .480*10^-3 m

a = .320*10^-3 m

λ = 580*10^-9 m

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation is just multiplying the interference pattern by the diffraction pattern. Mostly just plugging in the variables and then solving from there.

The answer I got was .23[/0], but that was wrong. My question is, since the original problem is stating that the distance is being measured from center, would I subtract the width a from the separation d, so that I find the actual separation between the two slits?

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance between the slits is measured center-to-center, so you don't need to subtract the slit width.

Your formula is tricky to parse, but I think that the parentheses are unbalanced. It can be tough to keep them straight when rendering them in ascii.

Here's a screen capture of the formula in question:

upload_2016-11-28_20-43-24.png

When I plug in your given values I don't get the same result that you did. (I get a smaller value).

Try breaking your calculation up into smaller steps and present the intermediate results. Perhaps we can spot where our versions diverge.

Alright so I first calculated π*a*sin(θ)/λ, which I got equal to 2.097

Then I took sin(ANS)/ANS = .4122

.4122^2 = .1699

Since the interference pattern for this problem comes out to approximately 1, the final answer is:

I = .17I_0

Is that what you got?

Yes. That's what I got.

Alright, I guess there was some sort of calculator error that messed me up. Thank you for your help!

1. What is the intensity of a diffraction pattern?

The intensity of a diffraction pattern refers to the brightness or darkness of the pattern produced by the interference of diffracted waves. It is determined by the amplitude and phase of the diffracted waves.

2. How is the intensity of a diffraction pattern affected by the size of the diffracting object?

The intensity of a diffraction pattern is directly proportional to the size of the diffracting object. A larger object will produce a more intense diffraction pattern compared to a smaller object.

3. What is the relationship between the intensity of a diffraction pattern and the wavelength of the incident light?

The intensity of a diffraction pattern is inversely proportional to the wavelength of the incident light. This means that as the wavelength increases, the intensity of the pattern decreases and vice versa.

4. How does the distance between the diffracting object and the screen affect the intensity of the diffraction pattern?

The intensity of a diffraction pattern is inversely proportional to the distance between the diffracting object and the screen. As the distance increases, the intensity of the pattern decreases and vice versa.

5. What factors can affect the intensity of a diffraction pattern?

The intensity of a diffraction pattern can be affected by various factors such as the amplitude and phase of the diffracted waves, the size of the diffracting object, the wavelength of the incident light, and the distance between the object and the screen.