Diffraction Redshift and Emission Theory

In summary: When I google "diffraction redshift", all I get is your question, so I'm not sure what you mean by that phrase.I'm not sure what you mean by that phrase either.
greswd
In the emission theory of light, light waves can move at any speed.

We can still apply the Doppler effect, but to the best of my knowledge, only the frequency changes, not the wavelength.

The pattern for a diffraction grating only depends on the wavelength right? And we have observed redshifts and blueshifts using a diffraction grating.

Although emission theory has long been discredited, is the existence of diffraction redshift a valid reason to discard emission theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I google "diffraction redshift", all I get is your question, so I'm not sure what you mean by that phrase. A diffraction grating doesn't redshift anything, it just sends the different colors off into different directions, like a rainbow (which is actually caused by refraction, but the effect is similar). We wouldn't say the red band in a rainbow is light that has been "redshifted", we would say the red light came off in that direction. It sounds like you are asking if emission theory, which explains Doppler shifts and the Michelson-Morley null result, can explain diffraction. But it certainly can, because there's no movement of anything but the light itself to consider in diffraction, so emission theory looks like a normal wave theory of light in that context.

Where emission theory has its problems is time-of-flight effects. I'm not sure if emission theory could even be made consistent with observations of the timing of the eclipses of the moons of Jupiter, as per Roemer's 1676 measurement. Most likely, emission theory claims that the differences in when those eclipses would be seen is too small to distinguish relativity from emission theory, but more modern types of experiments should have no such difficulty.

What I mean is redshift observed and measured by means of a diffraction grating.

greswd said:
the emission theory of light

I assume you mean this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_theory

If so, please note the multiple reasons for discarding emission theory given on that page.

greswd said:
is the existence of diffraction redshift a valid reason to discard emission theory?

I don't see how this question can be answered without an actual derivation of how emission theory makes a different prediction for diffraction experiments from our best current theory. (I agree with Ken G that "diffraction redshift/blueshift" is not the best way to describe the prediction of our best current theory, but it is really the prediction vs. experiment that matters, not what we call it.) Do you have such a derivation? Or can you give a reference that has one? If you can, please PM me. Until then, this thread is closed.

Related to Diffraction Redshift and Emission Theory

What is diffraction redshift?

Diffraction redshift is a phenomenon in which the wavelength of light appears to increase due to the diffraction of light waves around an object. This can occur when light passes through a narrow slit or around an edge, causing the light to spread out and appear to have a longer wavelength than it actually does.

How is diffraction redshift related to the emission theory?

The emission theory proposes that light is made up of tiny particles called "corpuscles" that are emitted from a source and travel in straight lines. When these corpuscles encounter an obstacle, they diffract and spread out, causing the observed diffraction redshift.

What is the difference between diffraction redshift and Doppler redshift?

Diffraction redshift is a result of the spreading out of light waves due to diffraction, while Doppler redshift is a result of the relative motion between the source of light and the observer. In Doppler redshift, the wavelength appears to increase or decrease depending on whether the source is moving away or towards the observer, respectively.

Can diffraction redshift be observed in all types of light?

Yes, diffraction redshift can be observed in all types of light, including visible light, infrared, and even radio waves. Any type of light that encounters an obstacle or passes through a narrow opening can exhibit diffraction and result in a redshift.

What are some practical applications of diffraction redshift?

Diffraction redshift has several important applications in fields such as astronomy, microscopy, and telecommunications. In astronomy, it can be used to study the properties of distant galaxies and the expansion of the universe. In microscopy, it allows for the visualization of small objects and structures that would otherwise be too small to see. In telecommunications, it is used in the design of optical fibers for high-speed data transmission.