Diffusivity problems in cubic crystals

In summary: The same principle applies to BCC and FCC structures. It is important to consider the overall symmetry of the crystal structure when analyzing diffusivity. In summary, the diffusivity in cubic crystals is isotropic due to the rotational symmetry of the crystal structure, even if there may be variations in energy barriers along different directions.
xxh418
Hi all:
I encountered a problem when studying the diffusivity of Li atoms in Si crystals.
From the textbook, it is shown the diffusivity tensor in the cubic crystals (BCC FCC) is a diagonal matrix and the values along different directions are also the same (from the rotational symmetry), which means the diffusivity in the cubic crystal is isotropic. However, for the Si diamond cubic structure, If I pick three directions: {1 1 0}, {1 1 -1},{1 1 2}(not the {100}{010}{001}), the lattice arrangement along different directions are obviously different. Thus how the diffusivity can be the same? The same problem for the BCC and FCC.
I do not know what the mistake I have for my analysis. Could someone help me? Thank you very much!

Regards
Xu

Physics news on Phys.org
The diffusivity of Li atoms in Si crystals is determined by the energy barrier that the atoms must overcome to move from one lattice site to another. The energy barriers in the cubic crystals (BCC, FCC) are all the same regardless of the direction of movement, since the crystal structure is symmetric. This means that the diffusivity is isotropic. In the case of the Si diamond cubic structure, the energy barriers for the {1 1 0}, {1 1 -1} and {1 1 2} directions can be different depending on the specific arrangement of the atoms in the lattice. However, the average diffusivity over all directions will still remain isotropic, since the overall symmetry of the lattice remains the same.

1. What is diffusivity in cubic crystals?

Diffusivity in cubic crystals refers to the rate at which atoms or molecules can move through the crystal lattice. It is a measure of how easily diffusion can occur in a particular crystal structure.

2. How is diffusivity measured in cubic crystals?

Diffusivity in cubic crystals is typically measured using techniques such as neutron scattering, X-ray diffraction, or electron microscopy. These methods allow for the observation of atom movements within the crystal lattice.

3. What factors affect diffusivity in cubic crystals?

Several factors can affect diffusivity in cubic crystals, including temperature, crystal structure, and the type of atoms or molecules present in the lattice. The presence of impurities or defects can also impact diffusivity.

4. What are some real-world applications of diffusivity in cubic crystals?

Diffusivity in cubic crystals is important in many industrial and technological processes, such as the diffusion of dopants in semiconductor materials for electronics, the diffusion of gases in catalytic reactions, and the diffusion of solvents in polymers for drug delivery.

5. How can diffusivity problems in cubic crystals be studied and solved?

Diffusivity problems in cubic crystals can be studied through computer simulations, theoretical models, and experimental techniques. Finding solutions to these problems often requires a combination of these approaches, as well as a deep understanding of the underlying principles of diffusion in crystals.