How Can You Simplify Boolean Expressions Using Only NOR Gates?

In summary: OR of the inverses = the inverse of the ANDs".In summary, the student is struggling with boolean simplifications and implementing logic circuits using only two NOR gates. They are looking for a methodical approach to solving these types of problems and are advised to use De Morgan's theorem to replace AND and OR functions with NOR gates.
benEE2018

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, i am currently struggling in my digital design and logic class that includes boolean simplifications and whatnot. I seem to understand how to simplify and am able to comprehend how the karnaugh maps work but what i do not understand is for example, on our midterm, how you simplify a boolean expression and draw the logic circuit with only two NOR gates or if he gives u the truth terms (sigma 1.2.3, etc) how to use the kmap and output the function in only nand and nor gates. is there a way to attack these problems?

Homework Equations

an example f(a,b,c,d)= (a exclusive or b)'(c exclusive or d). draw a logic diagram using only two input nor gates to implement the following.

another one
f=wx'+y'z'+w'yz'
using only two level nor gates

i don't need the solutions just a methodical way to approach these types of problems
another

The Attempt at a Solution

i just want to know if there is a certain way i am suppose to be apporaching these kinds of problems

Physics news on Phys.org
draw a logic diagram using only two input nor gates to implement the following.
I'm speaking before I even look at the question, but I doubt that you are being asked to perform miracles by employing nothing more than a pair of NOR gates for the task.

Most likely this was written as "two-input NOR gates" meaning any number of gates you desire, but where each gate has two inputs only, plus, of course, an output.

Big difference!

Basically, you have to go about replacing whatever logic functions the given expression uses with that of the gates you must implement it with. To do this apply De Morgan's theorem/s where you can replace AND by OR, and vice versa. So you must memorize De Morgan's theorem and know how to apply it. Just memorize one, because the other is easily written by doing a swap of the functions.

I remember like this: "the AND of the inverses = the inverse of the ORs"

1. What is digital design?

Digital design is the process of creating digital systems, such as computers, using logic gates and other electronic components. It involves designing and implementing circuits and systems that can process and store digital information.

2. What is the difference between analog and digital design?

Analog design deals with continuous signals, while digital design deals with discrete signals. In other words, analog signals can take on any value within a certain range, while digital signals can only take on specific values, typically 0 and 1.

3. What is logic in digital design?

Logic in digital design refers to the set of rules and principles used to design and analyze digital circuits. It includes concepts such as Boolean algebra, truth tables, and logic gates, which are used to manipulate and process digital signals.

4. What is the role of logic in digital design?

The role of logic in digital design is to ensure that the circuits and systems operate correctly, according to the desired functionality. Logic gates and other components are used to manipulate the digital signals and perform logical operations, such as AND, OR, and NOT.

5. What are some common applications of digital design and logic?

Digital design and logic are used in a wide range of applications, including computer systems, digital signal processing, telecommunications, and consumer electronics. They are also essential in the development of microprocessors, memory chips, and other integrated circuits.