Digital design code converter help

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a code converter to convert a decimal digit from the 8 4 -2 -1 code to BCD. The attempt at a solution involves listing out the BCD order and weighted 8 4 -2 -1 code, and using K maps to arrive at an answer that is different from the correct answer. The expert summarizer also questions the use of 1s complement in the solution.
benEE2018

Homework Statement

design a code converter that converts a decimal digit from the 8 4 -2 -1 code to BCD.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i listed out the BCD order from 0 to 9 and listed the weighted 8 4 -2 -1 code so that the weights would equal to the BCD equivalent.
8 4 -2 -1--->BCD
ABCD---> WXYZ
0000---> 0000
0111---> 0001
0110---> 0010
0101---> 0011

0100---> 0100
1011---> 0101
1010---> 0110
1001---> 0111

1000---> 1000
1111----> 1001
I then drew 4 K maps for each variable and arrived at an answer that is completely different from the correct answer, W=AB=AC'D'

the answer i got
Z= A'BD+BCD+AB'D
Y=A'BC'D+ A'BCD'+ AB'C'D+ AB'CD'
X= A'BC'D'+ AB'D+ AB'C
W= AB'C'D'+ AB'CD

i don't know what i am doing wrong and any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What converion method have you used to map binary to BCD?

You seem to have written as 1s complement of the BCD, why?

Last edited:

1. What is a digital design code converter?

A digital design code converter is a circuit or software that converts a digital signal from one representation to another. This is often used in digital systems where different components use different coding schemes or formats.

2. What types of code can a digital design code converter convert?

A digital design code converter can convert between various binary codes such as binary-coded decimal (BCD), Gray code, and excess-3 code. It can also convert between different number systems such as binary, hexadecimal, and octal.

3. How does a digital design code converter work?

A digital design code converter works by using logic gates to manipulate the input signal and produce the desired output. The specific design and operation will vary depending on the codes being converted.

4. What are the common applications of digital design code converters?

Digital design code converters are commonly used in digital communication systems, digital signal processing, and computer systems. They are also used in various electronic devices such as calculators, smartphones, and digital watches.

5. Can digital design code converters introduce errors?

Yes, digital design code converters can introduce errors during the conversion process. This can happen due to noise, signal distortion, or incorrect implementation of the converter. To minimize errors, it is important to use high-quality components and carefully design the converter circuit or software.