Dimension of Hilbert spaces for identical particles

In summary: There are ##6## symmetric states:$$aa, \ bb, \ (ab + ba), \ cb, \ (ac + bc), \ (bc + ca), \ (ac + bd)$$And the normalised version of the sixth one is ##\frac 1 {\sqrt 2}(ab + ba) + \frac 1 {\sqrt 2}(ac + bd)##.There are ##6## antisymmetric states:$$ab - ba, \ cb, \ (ac + bc), \ (bc + ca), \ (ac + bd), \ (bd + cd), \ (cd + ce)$$So
boudreaux
Homework Statement
What is the Hilbert-space dimension of this two-particle system if the two particles are (a) distinguishable? (b) identical bosons? (c) identical fermions (assuming
their spins are polarized, so the spin-part is completely symmetric)?
Relevant Equations
Two particles occupying N distinct states |1>, |2>, · · · , |N>
My thoughts are:
a) it should just be N^2
b) just N since they're identical
c) due to Pauli exclusion would it be N^2 - N since they have to be different states?

Physics news on Phys.org
boudreaux said:
Homework Statement:: What is the Hilbert-space dimension of this two-particle system if the two particles are (a) distinguishable? (b) identical bosons? (c) identical fermions (assuming
their spins are polarized, so the spin-part is completely symmetric)?
Relevant Equations:: Two particles occupying N distinct states |1>, |2>, · · · , |N>

My thoughts are:
a) it should just be N^2
b) just N since they're identical
c) due to Pauli exclusion would it be N^2 - N since they have to be different states?
What do you understand about the total symmetrization requirement in each case?

Can you analyse the cases ##N = 2## and ##N = 3##?

PeroK said:
What do you understand about the total symmetrization requirement in each case?

I don't really understand your question - probably not much!

boudreaux said:
I don't really understand your question - probably not much!
This question is testing your knowldege of symmetrization requirements. First, you should look up the formal definition of the Pauli exclusion principle. I.e. the generalisation, as it applies to all fermions in all cases.

Ps You should look up the symmetrisation requirement for bosons as well!

Thanks! Still somewhat confused after reading the mathematical definitions. How do I get the answer to my problem from these?

For fermions they must be antisymmetric so would there just be N states since the second particle's state will have to be antisymmetric to the first?

boudreaux said:
Thanks! Still somewhat confused after reading the mathematical definitions. How do I get the answer to my problem from these?
I can't do it for you. Try for ##N = 2## first. The answer, once you work it out, ought to be familiar.

Note that for bosons, the entire state/wave-function must be symmetric. You are given a symmetric spin state, which means that the spatial state must also be symmetric.

How many symmetric states are there for each ##N##?

For fermions, the entire state must be antisymmetric. In this case, the spatial state must be antisymmetric. How many antisymmetric states are there for each ##N##?

Note: if the spin state were antisymmetric, then these answers would be the other way round for bosons and fermions.

So for fermions they must be antisymmetric so would there just be N states since the second particle's state will have to be antisymmetric to the first?

For bosons would it be 2N?

boudreaux said:
So for fermions they must be antisymmetric so would there just be N states since the second particle's state will have to be antisymmetric to the first?

For bosons would it be 2N?
No. Do the problem for ##N = 2##.

for N=2 would there be 4 possible states for distinguishable/2 for bosons/1 for fermions?

boudreaux said:
for N=2 would there be 4 possible states for distinguishable/2 for bosons/1 for fermions?

No. The simplest approach is just to label the states ##a## and ##b##. We have four basis states:
$$aa, \ ab, \ ba, \ bb$$
That is the basis for your Hilbert space of two particles with the same two possible states each.

The question is how many linearly independent symmetric states can you construct from those. Hint: two are easy.

And, how many asymmetric states can you construct?

Note: you have to actually do some work here, not just guess an answer!

If you're really stuck, the following should look familiar. There are ##3## symmetric states:
$$aa, \ bb, \ (ab + ba)$$
The normalised version of the third one is, of course, ##\frac 1 {\sqrt 2}(ab + ba)##.
And only ##1## antisymmetric state:
$$ab - ba$$
Hence we have a a triplet of symmetric states and a singlet antisymmetric state.

The next step is to look at ##N = 3##.

1. What is the dimension of a Hilbert space for identical particles?

The dimension of a Hilbert space for identical particles is infinite, as it is determined by the number of possible quantum states that the particles can occupy. This is because identical particles are indistinguishable and can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

2. How does the dimension of a Hilbert space change when more identical particles are added?

The dimension of a Hilbert space increases exponentially as more identical particles are added. For example, if there are two identical particles, the dimension of the Hilbert space will be four (2^2). If there are three identical particles, the dimension will be eight (2^3), and so on.

3. Can the dimension of a Hilbert space for identical particles be finite?

No, the dimension of a Hilbert space for identical particles cannot be finite. This is because identical particles can occupy an infinite number of quantum states, leading to an infinite number of possible combinations and thus an infinite dimension for the Hilbert space.

4. How does the dimension of a Hilbert space for identical particles relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The dimension of a Hilbert space for identical particles is related to the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This principle limits the number of possible quantum states that identical fermions can occupy, thus limiting the dimension of the Hilbert space.

5. Is the dimension of a Hilbert space for identical particles affected by the spin of the particles?

Yes, the dimension of a Hilbert space for identical particles is affected by the spin of the particles. This is because particles with different spin states are considered distinguishable, and thus can occupy the same quantum state without violating the Pauli exclusion principle. Therefore, the dimension of the Hilbert space will be larger for particles with different spin states compared to particles with the same spin state.