Ground state and 1st excited state energy of 3 Fermions

In summary: I'm still not sure what the index n represents. If spin was not specified, then the solution is not unique.
catpotato

Homework Statement

So in my problem, there's a given of 3 non interacting fermions in a harmonic well potential. I already got the wavefunction but i have problems in obtaining the ground state energy and its 1st excited state energy for 3 fermions (assuming they are non interacting and identical)

Homework Equations

En = E1 + E2 + E3
En = (n + 1/2) ħω

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they are fermions, i tried applying pauli's exclusion principle so my En would be equal to: (n1 + 1/2) ħω + (n2 + 1/2) ħω + (n3 + 1/2) ħω
where n1 = 1, n2 = 2, n3 = 3 for the ground state.

I am not sure if this is right for fermions so I'm kinda stuck and still skeptic on how to solve for the 1st excited state. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert in this type of problem, but with opposite spins, shouldn't it be possible to have two particles in the lowest energy state?

Charles Link said:
I'm no expert in this type of problem, but with opposite spins, shouldn't it be possible to have two particles in the lowest energy state?
i think so too, if there were two particles in the lowest energy then n1 and n2 will both be equal to 1? and n3 will be equal to 2?

catpotato said:
i think so too, if there were two particles in the lowest energy then n1 and n2 will both be equal to 1? and n3 will be equal to 2?
I think the lowest state has ## n=0 ##. I think I have it right, but I am hardly an expert in this area. ## \\ ## Additional comment: For the wave function, I think it is necessary to use a Slater determinant type waveform, but I would like to hear from someone with considerable Q.M. expertise. ## \\ ##@bhobba Might you have an input here?

Last edited:
catpotato said:

Homework Equations

En = E1 + E2 + E3
En = (n + 1/2) ħω
You have to be careful with the notation. Does the index n label the particle or the state of the h.o.?

Charles Link said:
I think the lowest state has ## n=0 ##. I think I have it right, but I am hardly an expert in this area.
Yes, that is correct.

catpotato said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they are fermions, i tried applying pauli's exclusion principle so my En would be equal to: (n1 + 1/2) ħω + (n2 + 1/2) ħω + (n3 + 1/2) ħω
where n1 = 1, n2 = 2, n3 = 3 for the ground state.

I am not sure if this is right for fermions so I'm kinda stuck and still skeptic on how to solve for the 1st excited state. Any help would be much appreciated.
You have to find the combinations of n that give you the lowest energy and then the next lowest energy without violating the Pauli exclusion principle. There might be more than one possible solution for the first excited state.

By the way, you haven't specified the spin of the fermions. It is very important here.

Likes Charles Link
DrClaude said:
You have to be careful with the notation. Does the index n label the particle or the state of the h.o.?Yes, that is correct.You have to find the combinations of n that give you the lowest energy and then the next lowest energy without violating the Pauli exclusion principle. There might be more than one possible solution for the first excited state.

By the way, you haven't specified the spin of the fermions. It is very important here.

oh i forgot, the En there is supposed to be the total energy of the particles and the spin wasn't specified in our homework.

catpotato said:
oh i forgot, the En there is supposed to be the total energy of the particles and the spin wasn't specified in our homework.
I'm still not sure what the index n represents. If spin was not specified, then the solution is not unique.

1. What is the concept of ground state and 1st excited state energy of 3 fermions?

The ground state of a system of fermions refers to the lowest possible energy state that the system can have. This energy state is occupied by the fermions, which are particles that follow the Pauli exclusion principle and have half-integer spin. The first excited state, on the other hand, refers to the energy state that is one level higher than the ground state. In this state, one or more fermions have been excited to a higher energy level.

2. How is the energy of the ground state and 1st excited state of 3 fermions calculated?

The energy of the ground state and 1st excited state of 3 fermions can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the position and momentum of the fermions and uses the concept of wave functions to describe the energy states of the system.

3. What factors affect the energy of the ground state and 1st excited state of 3 fermions?

The energy of the ground state and 1st excited state of 3 fermions is affected by various factors such as the number of fermions in the system, the strength of the interactions between the fermions, and the shape and size of the system. These factors can change the energy levels and lead to different ground and excited state energies.

4. How do the ground state and 1st excited state energies of 3 fermions differ from those of other particles?

The ground state and 1st excited state energies of 3 fermions are different from those of other particles, such as bosons, because of the Pauli exclusion principle. This principle states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state, leading to a different energy distribution compared to particles that do not follow this principle.

5. What is the significance of studying the ground state and 1st excited state energies of 3 fermions?

Studying the ground state and 1st excited state energies of 3 fermions is important in understanding the behavior of matter at the smallest scale. This knowledge is crucial in various fields such as materials science, quantum computing, and nuclear physics. It also helps in developing theories and models to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions.