Dimensional Analysis involving power

In summary, the power required by a helicopter when hovering depends on the vertical thrust, blade length, and air mass density. Using dimensional analysis, the equation is established to be Power= F^3/2*p^-1/2*L^-1. When the helicopter takes on a load that doubles its weight, the power requirement is increased by a factor of 2.83.
d97

Homework Statement

The power required by a helicopter when hovering depends only upon the vertical thrust (a force) F provided by the blades, their length l, and the mass density of air, ρ. Establish an equation that relates the helicopters power requirement to these three quantities. By what factor is the power requirement increased such that the helicopter can maintain a constant altitude when it takes on a load that doubles its weight?

Homework Equations

[Power]= M*L^2*T^-3, [Density]=[M*L^-3], Length= [L], [Force]= M*L*T^-2
Power= F^a*p^b*L^c[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the first part of the question through using dimensional analysis: M*L^2*T^-3=[M*L*T^-2]^a*[M*L^-3]^b*[L]^c. I came up with these equations to get the powers for the RHS: a+b=a, a-3b+c=2 and a=-1. This gave me a=-1, b=2, c=9 this means that Power= F^-1*p^2*L^9, I think that's right?
I'm just unsure on how to do the second part of the question where its asking for a factor of power?
Any help would be much appreciated thank you. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the initial force required to hover is denoted by F1. Then the force required to hover with twice the weight is 2F1. Put that into your equations and see what happens to the 2 multiplier.

PS. I didn't try to follow your equations, but it looks like a = -1 means that more lift force requires less power. That seems wrong to me.

Check again your equations. If a+b = a, then b = 0. Also the equation from the exponents of T doesn't look right.

kuruman said:
Check again your equations. If a+b = a, then b = 0. Also the equation from the exponents of T doesn't look right.
Sorry my bad a+b=1, I miss typed

FactChecker said:
Suppose the initial force required to hover is denoted by F1. Then the force required to hover with twice the weight is 2F1. Put that into your equations and see what happens to the 2 multiplier.

PS. I didn't try to follow your equations, but it looks like a = -1 means that more lift force requires less power. That seems wrong to me.
Oh ok thank you, yeah I think a=-1 is wrong I looked at it again and I think a=3/2 instead. I'll work it out again and I'll put that 2 multiplier into my equation once I've corrected my mistakes.

FactChecker said:

I've sorted my mistakes out and I got power= F^3/2*p^-1/2*L^-1, I hope that is right? And put the 2 multiplier into my equation and the power increases by a factor of 2.83, I think that's right?

d97 said:
I've sorted my mistakes out and I got power= F^3/2*p^-1/2*L^-1, I hope that is right? And put the 2 multiplier into my equation and the power increases by a factor of 2.83, I think that's right?
Sorry. I'm afraid that I don't have the background to check it. I'll have to leave this for people who know the subject matter better than I do.

d97 said:
power= F^3/2*p^-1/2*L^-1
It's right.

Likes FactChecker

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in science to convert measurements from one unit to another. It involves using the relationship between different units of measurement to determine the appropriate conversion factor.

2. How does dimensional analysis apply to power?

Dimensional analysis can be used to convert units of power, such as watts and horsepower, to other units of power. By understanding the relationship between different units of power, scientists can convert measurements to the appropriate unit for their calculations.

3. What are the basic units of power?

The basic units of power are the watt (W) and the horsepower (hp). The watt is the standard unit of power in the International System of Units (SI), while the horsepower is commonly used in the United States and other countries for measuring the power of engines.

4. How do you use dimensional analysis to convert units of power?

To convert units of power using dimensional analysis, you must first identify the units you are starting with and the units you want to convert to. Then, use the appropriate conversion factor to cancel out the unwanted units and end up with the desired units of power.

5. Why is dimensional analysis important in science?

Dimensional analysis is important in science because it allows for accurate and consistent measurements by converting units to the appropriate scale. It also helps scientists to understand the relationships between different units of measurement and to perform calculations more efficiently.