Dimensional reduction of 10D N=1 Super Yang Mills to 4D

In summary: Tr\,(F_{\mu i}F^{\mu i})=F_{\mu i}{}_a{}^b F^{\mu i}{}_b{}^a because the indices of the operators in the gauge group are all the same.
physicus

Homework Statement

Given [itex]N=1 SYM[/itex] in 10 dimensions (all fields in the adjoint representation):
[itex]\int d^{10}x\, Tr\,\left( F_{MN}F^{MN}+\Psi\Gamma^M D_M\Psi\right)[/itex]
[itex]D_M\Psi=\partial_M \Psi+i[A_M,\Psi][/itex] is the gauge covariant derivative.
Reduce to 4 dimensions [itex]A_M=(A_\mu,\phi_i), \mu=0,\ldots,3, i=4,\ldots 9, \partial_i=0 \,\forall \,i[/itex] and show:
[itex]F_{MN}F^{MN}=F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+D_\mu \phi_i D^\mu \phi^i + [\phi_i,\phi_j][\phi^i,\phi^j][/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My ansatz:
[itex]F_{MN}F^{MN}=F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+F_{\mu i}F^{\mu i}+F_{i\nu}F^{i\nu}+F_{ij}F^{ij}[/itex]
I have some trouble writing down what [itex]F_{\mu i}[/itex] and [itex]F^{\mu i}[/itex] are. I think my problem is that I only have the definition of the gauge covariant derivative acting on a field in the adjoint.
[itex]F_{\mu i}=\frac{1}{i}[D_\mu,D_i]=\frac{1}{i}(D_\mu D_i - D_i D_\mu) = ?[/itex]
Is [itex]D_i = i\phi_i[/itex]?

Thanks for any help!

physicus

Physics news on Phys.org
physicus said:
I have some trouble writing down what [itex]F_{\mu i}[/itex] and [itex]F^{\mu i}[/itex] are. I think my problem is that I only have the definition of the gauge covariant derivative acting on a field in the adjoint.
[itex]F_{\mu i}=\frac{1}{i}[D_\mu,D_i]=\frac{1}{i}(D_\mu D_i - D_i D_\mu) = ?[/itex]
Is [itex]D_i = i\phi_i[/itex]?

Up to sign and other conventions, yes. Remember that the ##\phi_i## are also in the adjoint representation. You seem to take conventions so that ##D_M = \partial_M +i A_M##. Then dimensional reduction tells to take ##\partial_i=0## when acting on any fields, so we recover [itex]D_i = i\phi_i[/itex].

Thanks! Why can we write [itex]D_M=\partial_M+iA_M[/itex] if for some field [itex]X[/itex] in the adjoint [itex]D_M X=\partial_M X +i[A_M,X][/itex] (which is given in the exercise)? I don't see where the commutator should come from.

I tried to determine [itex]F_{\mu i}=\frac{1}{i}[D_\mu,D_i][/itex] by letting it act on some [itex]X[/itex] in the adjoint:
[itex][D_\mu,D_i]X=D\mu D_i X - D_i D_\mu X[/itex]
[itex]=D_\mu(i[\phi_i,X])-D_i(\partial_\mu X+i[A_\mu,X])[/itex]
[itex]=i\partial_\mu[\phi_i,X]-[A_\mu,[\phi_i,X]]-i[\phi_i,\partial_\mu X]+[\phi_i,[A_\mu,X]][/itex]
Use the Jacobi identity in the last term and : [itex]\partial_\mu[\phi_i,X]=[\partial_\mu\phi_i,X]+[\phi_i,\partial_\mu X][/itex]
[itex]=i[\partial_\mu\phi_i,X]-[A_\mu,[\phi_i,X]]-[A_\mu,[X,\phi_i]]-[X,[\phi_i,A_\mu]][/itex]
The 2nd and 3rd term cancel.
[itex]=i[\partial_\mu \phi_i+i[A\mu,\phi_i],X][/itex]
[itex]=i[D_\mu\phi_i,X][/itex]
I would have expected the result to be [itex]i(D_\mu\phi_i)X[/itex] without commutator. But even if that was the result i would get an unwanted factor 2:
[itex]F_{MN}F^{MN}=F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+\color{red}{2} D_\mu \phi_i D^\mu \phi^i + [\phi_i,\phi_j][\phi^i,\phi^j][/itex]

Where am I wrong?

The factor of 2 is correct. See pages 9-10 of http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9801182. You can rescale the ##\phi_i##, which just puts a factor of 1/4 in front of the potential term.

Thanks, there seems to be an error in the exercise then.

I still have another question. I found for a field [itex]X[/itex] in the adjoint of the gauge group:
[itex]F_{\mu i}F^{\mu i}X = \ldots = [D_\mu \phi_i,[D^\mu \phi^i,X]] = D_\mu \phi_i D^\mu \phi^i X+X D_\mu \phi_i D^\mu \phi^i[/itex]
The calculation is equivalent to my previous post.
What can i conclude from that for [itex]Tr\,(F_{\mu i}F^{\mu i})[/itex]?

All the operators have gauge group indices:
[itex]F_{\mu i}{}_a{}^b F^{\mu i}{}_b{}^c X_c{}^d = (D_\mu \phi_i)_a{}^b (D^\mu \phi^i)_b{}^c X_c{}^d+X_a{}^b (D_\mu \phi_i)_b{}^c (D^\mu \phi^i)_c{}^d[/itex]

I need [itex]Tr\,(F_{\mu i}F^{\mu i})=F_{\mu i}{}_a{}^b F^{\mu i}{}_b{}^a[/itex]
Can I get that from what i have done?

Related to Dimensional reduction of 10D N=1 Super Yang Mills to 4D

1. What is dimensional reduction?

Dimensional reduction is a mathematical process in which the number of dimensions in a system is reduced while preserving certain properties of the original system. This is often used in theoretical physics to simplify complex systems and make them easier to study.

2. What is 10D N=1 Super Yang-Mills theory?

10D N=1 Super Yang-Mills theory is a mathematical framework used in theoretical physics to describe the interactions between particles in a 10-dimensional space. It combines elements of Yang-Mills theory, which describes the interactions between particles based on their charges, and supersymmetry, which relates particles with different spin values.

3. Why is dimensional reduction of 10D N=1 Super Yang-Mills theory important?

Dimensional reduction of 10D N=1 Super Yang-Mills theory is important because it allows us to study the theory in a simpler and more manageable 4-dimensional space. This makes it easier to make predictions and test the theory experimentally.

4. How does the process of dimensional reduction work?

The process of dimensional reduction involves compactifying, or "curling up," the extra dimensions of a higher-dimensional space into tiny, unobservable sizes. This effectively reduces the number of dimensions in the system, but still preserves certain mathematical properties and symmetries.

5. What are the implications of the dimensional reduction of 10D N=1 Super Yang-Mills theory to 4D?

The dimensional reduction of 10D N=1 Super Yang-Mills theory to 4D has several implications. It allows us to study the theory in a more realistic and experimentally accessible setting, and it also reveals new connections between different physical theories and mathematical structures. Additionally, it has applications in other areas of physics, such as string theory and cosmology.