Dimensionally impossible equation

• Thread starter Granger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the conversation discusses a dimensionally impossible equation involving the transcendental function e^x and the constant b. It is explained that the equation is dimensionally inconsistent because the left side has units of length/time while the right side is dimensionless. It is also clarified that transcendental functions like e^x are always dimensionless unless the inverse function appears in the same equation.
Granger
I was reading some stuff about dimensionally impossible equations. It was said that the equation

v = e^bt (b is a constant so that bt is dimensionless)

was dimensionally impossible. I understand that BUT I don't understand what they said next about the dimension of the right-side. They said it was dimensionless, but I thought it had dimension T (like the left-side has dimension LT^-1)... Can someone explain me why I'm wrong? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Granger said:
I was reading some stuff about dimensionally impossible equations. It was said that the equation

v = e^bt (b is a constant so that bt is dimensionless)

was dimensionally impossible. I understand that BUT I don't understand what they said next about the dimension of the right-side. They said it was dimensionless, but I thought it had dimension T (like the left-side has dimension LT^-1)... Can someone explain me why I'm wrong? Thanks :)
If that equation were written as v(t) = v0ebt then it would make more sense.

For that to make sense, ebt has to be dimensionless.

You said that ##bt## was dimensionless, so of course ##e^{bt}## is dimensionless also. But this is inconsistent with ##v(t)## having dimensions of length/time, so it is a "dimensionally impossible equation".

Generally speaking, transcendental functions like ##e^x##, ##\sin(x)##, ##\log(x)##, etc. can never operate on units and are always dimensionless. A small exception is when the inverse function appears in the same equation, like ##f(t) = e^{4 \log t}##. But it's unclear why you would ever write it this way rather than ##f(t)=t^4##.

Last edited:
Any such equation has a constant in front, in this case, the constant is 1, in appropriate units. for example, v = e^bt would mean: v = (1 m/s) e^bt, a particular case of the equation written by jbriggs 444 above

Khashishi said:
You said that ##bt## was dimensionless, so of course ##e^{bt}## is dimensionless also. But this is inconsistent with ##v(t)## having dimensions of length/time, so it is a "dimensionally impossible equation".
If b has dimensions of "1 over time", say, sec^{-1}, then bt is "dimensionless". Then ##v(t)= x_0e^{vt}## has whatever units ##x_0## does.

Generally speaking, transcendental functions like ##e^x##, ##\sin(x)##, ##\log(x)##, etc. can never operate on units and are always dimensionless. A small exception is when the inverse function appears in the same equation, like ##f(t) = e^{4 \log t}##. But it's unclear why you would ever write it this way rather than ##f(t)=t^4##.

Chandra Prayaga said:
Any such equation has a constant in front, in this case, the constant is 1, in appropriate units. for example, v = e^bt would mean: v = (1 m/s) e^bt, a particular case of the equation written by jbriggs 444 above
No, unless the text specifically states that a particular system of natural units are being used, such as atomic units. You would never see an equation like this with implied SI units.

1. What is a dimensionally impossible equation?

A dimensionally impossible equation is a mathematical equation that does not have consistent units on both sides of the equation. This means that the units of measurement for the variables on one side of the equation cannot be converted to the units on the other side, making the equation mathematically incorrect.

2. Why is it important to avoid dimensionally impossible equations?

Dimensionally impossible equations can lead to incorrect calculations and results in scientific experiments, which can have serious consequences. It is important to use equations that have consistent units to ensure accurate and reliable data.

3. How can one identify a dimensionally impossible equation?

A dimensionally impossible equation can be identified by checking the units of measurement for each variable on both sides of the equation. If the units cannot be converted to match, then the equation is dimensionally impossible.

4. Can a dimensionally impossible equation ever be solved?

No, a dimensionally impossible equation cannot be solved because it does not follow the fundamental rules of mathematics. It is important to find and correct any dimensionally impossible equations before attempting to solve them.

5. How can dimensionally impossible equations be avoided?

To avoid dimensionally impossible equations, it is important to check the units of measurement for all variables and make sure they are consistent on both sides of the equation. It is also helpful to double-check all calculations to ensure the final units are correct.