Dimensions of our physical world

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dimensions in the physical world and whether there are things that exist with less than 3 spatial and 1 time dimension. Examples of boundaries and interfaces are given as potential examples of things that may have fewer dimensions. The topic of what qualifies as part of the physical world is also debated. Ultimately, the conversation ends without a definitive answer on whether there are things with less than 3 spatial and 1 time dimension in the physical world.
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
Are there things of lesser dimensions?
Is there anything we know of in this physical world that is less than 3 spatial and 1 time dimension? Or is that pretty much everything, no more, no less?

Physics news on Phys.org
LightningInAJar said:
Summary:: Are there things of lesser dimensions?

Is there anything we know of in this physical world that is less than 3 spatial and 1 time dimension? Or is that pretty much everything, no more, no less?
I guess that depends on how picky you get about what constitutes 'this physical world'.

The surface of a balloon is 2-dimensional. The coastline of a continent is somewhere between 1- and 2-dimensional.

The speed of light is two dimensional. Length per Time.

Nothing that most people consider to be 'physical' such as desks, chairs, rocks, etc are less than 3 dimensional. Even fundamental particles are considered to occupy three dimensional volumes of space, though the concept of size for a fundamental particle is... complicated.

Likes vanhees71
Death and taxes.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
DaveC426913 said:
I guess that depends on how picky you get about what constitutes 'this physical world'.

The surface of a balloon is 2-dimensional. The coastline of a continent is somewhere between 1- and 2-dimensional.
Well I mean even a single layer of atoms has measurable thickness. I mean more in a literal sense.

LightningInAJar said:
Well I mean even a single layer of atoms has measurable thickness. I mean more in a literal sense.
I think you may be missing @DaveC426913's point here. The surface of a balloon is not a layer of atoms. It's the boundary between the region of space where there are atoms of the balloon and the region where there are none. That's literally two dimensional. The question is whether or not it's what you think of as part of the physical world.

Likes russ_watters and DaveC426913
LightningInAJar said:
I mean more in a literal sense.
Rather than a littoral sense?

DaveC426913 said:
The coastline of a continent is somewhere between 1- and 2-dimensional.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50, hutchphd and 3 others
Ibix said:
I think you may be missing @DaveC426913's point here. The surface of a balloon is not a layer of atoms. It's the boundary between the region of space where there are atoms of the balloon and the region where there are none. That's literally two dimensional. The question is whether or not it's what you think of as part of the physical world.
Sorry. Still escapes me. Balloon wall still has thickness right? And it's thickness takes away a little space from the inside and outside regions? It is an imperfect boundary as a wall 2 feet thick?

LightningInAJar said:
Sorry. Still escapes me. Balloon wall still has thickness right?
Yes. So there are two boundaries between balloon and not-balloon, which are 2d surfaces. Perhaps simpler, a 3d solid cube has six 2d faces, which divide space into regions inside the cube and regions outside. Are those 2d faces part of the physical world?

LightningInAJar said:
Well I mean even a single layer of atoms has measurable thickness.
I was about to counter, but it looks like several others got my back.

So, what people are pointing out is examples of a general case: boundaries between two regions do not necessarily have 3 dimensions, yet they are still physical.

Ibix said:
Yes. So there are two boundaries between balloon and not-balloon, which are 2d surfaces. Perhaps simpler, a 3d solid cube has six 2d faces, which divide space into regions inside the cube and regions outside. Are those 2d faces part of the physical world?
The boundary is more conceptual than actual? Like I think a hockey goal counts only after puck breaks plane of second boundary of the line?

LightningInAJar said:
The boundary is more conceptual than actual? Like I think a hockey goal counts only after puck breaks plane of second boundary of the line?
What makes you think it's merely conceptual? It's a real, physical boundary.

We live in a universe of incompatible interfaces. We only see the surfaces where there is a change of impedance.
DaveC426913 said:
When it comes to wavefronts encountering real boundary surfaces, such as a lens or reflector, the boundary needs to be defined in 3D position with a specified orientation, such as the normal to the surface at each 3D point, which requires two more numbers or dimensions.
That depends on what is really meant by dimension.

My commute to work has a [spatial] length dimension and a time dimension and there is no corellation between them.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
DaveC426913 said:
Like many concepts, the words "real" and "physical" stop meaning as much when you start looking closely.

The imaginary plane at the mouth of a hockey goal is an abstraction. So not physical. But the red light does go on and the number on the score board does increment, so something measurable and real did occur.

Perhaps we can agree that arguing over whether the plane at the mouth of the goal is or is not physical will not get anyone's team any closer to the Stanley Cup.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes russ_watters, PeroK and Ibix
LightningInAJar said:
The boundary is more conceptual than actual?
Arguable. Boundaries are not abstract concepts like "justice", for example. They are defined solely with respect to physical objects. I think you'd say that "the interior of the cube" was an actual thing and so is "the region outside the cube". So why not the boundary?

Essentially what we have here is an argument about what counts as "actual", so it's pretty pointless. You could rephrase the question to "is there anything made of matter or radiation that has lower dimension", to which the answer would be no.

Likes DaveC426913, russ_watters and jbriggs444

What are dimensions?

Dimensions refer to the measurable properties or characteristics of an object or space. In our physical world, there are three dimensions: length, width, and height.

What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension is often referred to as time. It is the concept of movement and change within the three dimensions of space. Some theories suggest that there may be more than four dimensions, but this is still a topic of debate in the scientific community.

How many dimensions are there in total?

In our physical world, there are three dimensions of space and one dimension of time, making a total of four dimensions. However, some theories suggest that there may be more dimensions beyond our current understanding.

Can we experience higher dimensions?

It is not possible for us to directly experience higher dimensions beyond the four dimensions of our physical world. However, some theories suggest that through mathematics and theoretical physics, we can understand and describe these higher dimensions.

How do dimensions affect our perception of reality?

Dimensions play a crucial role in shaping our perception of reality. Our understanding of space and time is based on the dimensions we experience, and they help us make sense of the world around us. Dimensions also play a significant role in scientific theories and our understanding of the universe.