I am confused by the concept of space-time in special relativity

In summary, space-time in special relativity refers to the four-dimensional framework that combines space and time to describe the universe. It is important because it allows for the understanding of the laws of physics and how time and space are affected by the speed and gravity of objects. In special relativity, space and time are interconnected and can be perceived differently by different observers, leading to the concept of the "relativity of simultaneity." This theory also challenges the idea of time as a constant, stating that it can be affected by various factors. Additionally, the concept of space-time curvature explains how massive objects can bend the fabric of space-time, altering the motion of other objects in the universe. This is known as the theory of general relativity
rgtr
Homework Statement
I am confused by the concept of space-time in special relativity, I have 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimensions. In Newtonian physics don't I also have 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension? Then why call it space time in special relativity and not in Newtonian physics?
Relevant Equations
No equations
I am confused by the concept of space-time in special relativity, I have 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimensions. In Newtonian physics don't I also have 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension? Then why call it space time in special relativity and not in Newtonian physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is called spacetime in Newtonian physics too.

The difference is that Newtonian physics has Galilean spacetime where space and time are much less intertwined than in the Minkowski spacetime of special relativity or the general Lorentzian manifolds of general relativity. It istherefore much less common to talk about spacetime in Newtonian physics.

Likes rgtr
Thanks.

What is space-time in special relativity?

Space-time in special relativity is a concept that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. It is a mathematical model that explains how objects move and interact in the universe.

How does special relativity explain space-time?

Special relativity explains space-time by showing that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. It also states that the speed of light is constant and is the maximum speed at which all objects can travel.

Why is space-time important in special relativity?

Space-time is important in special relativity because it allows us to understand how objects move and interact in the universe. It also provides a framework for understanding the effects of gravity and the relationship between space and time.

What is the difference between space-time in special relativity and Newtonian physics?

The main difference between space-time in special relativity and Newtonian physics is that special relativity takes into account the effects of high speeds and gravity, while Newtonian physics does not. Special relativity also shows that space and time are interconnected, while Newtonian physics treats them as separate entities.

How does space-time affect our perception of time?

Space-time affects our perception of time by showing that time is relative and can be experienced differently by different observers. This is known as time dilation, where time appears to slow down for objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.