Diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD

In summary: Resistors are typically used in parallel with each other to create circuits, and diodes are typically used to create circuits with one path for current.
mrcotton

diode_zpsbf4b87a5.jpg

Homework Statement

The problem is not answering the questions, as supplied by the book
The book then asks you to reverse both diodes, so you still have one diode in the circuit that let's current pass through it and one that does not.
When you solve for the PD at Q you use the 0.6V of the diode and therefore because parallel the 10kOhm resistor also gets 0.6V so therefore the resistor at P gets 3.0-0.6=2.4V the rest of the 3V terminal PD

My question is what happens if we only reverse 1 diode, so that both are now in the same direction as conventional current flow.

Homework Equations

My understanding that a diode will only take the 0.6V then the current will flow through it.
Also the same PD will be across any branch of a parallel oart of a circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

If both resistors and diodes only get 0.6 volts each than the total circuit voltage is only 1.2V

Is this correct?
Any ideas welcomed

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not correct. The total voltage must equal the battery voltage. Note that one of the diodes will be conducting, the other will not.

Integral said:
No, it is not correct. The total voltage must equal the battery voltage. Note that one of the diodes will be conducting, the other will not.

Thanks for responding Integral
I am happy that in the circuit above the diode at X let's current flow through it at 0.6V and therefore the 10kOhms resistor at Q has this 0.6V across it as well.
Then the other diode at Y does not so the 5kOhm resistor at P has the rest of the PD at 2.4V

If I change the circuit to this one below by turning the diode Y the other way, by the logic above why do they not both now only get 0.6V

diode2_zps90f703c9.jpg

I am as dumb as I look
Thank you

The 0.6V rule-of-thumb for diodes is a very rough approximation that holds at modest current levels. It is possible to go higher in voltage, but the resulting currents will be enormous and in practice will burn out the diode.

A more sophisticated model of a diode's voltage-current relation is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode#Shockley_diode_equation

That is, current through a diode increases roughly exponentially with voltage. It might increase by a factor of 10 for every 0.05 to 0.1 V increase (if my memory is correct), and over a wide range of operating currents the voltage will be somewhere between 0.5 and 0.8 V.

Thanks RedBelly98
So if we just had the two diodes and the 3V cell they would both get 1.5V and a large current would flow that would burn them out?

If we have the two diodes and two resistor in the second case then because there is a resistor in parallel in series with each other we would get voltage drops across the two resisitors with the 10kOhm receiving more of the voltage to push the same current through

cant we just stick to bulbs and resistors!

mrcotton said:
Thanks RedBelly98
So if we just had the two diodes and the 3V cell they would both get 1.5V and a large current would flow that would burn them out?
Yes. (Assuming they are identical diodes.)
If we have the two diodes and two resistor in the second case then because there is a resistor in parallel in series with each other we would get voltage drops across the two resisitors with the 10kOhm receiving more of the voltage to push the same current through
The 10Ω resistor would have slightly more voltage than the 5k. I don't think "pushing the same current through" is an adequate description of what is going on though.
cant we just stick to bulbs and resistors!
Most intro physics courses (i.e., high school or college freshman level) do not deal with diodes.

1. What is the purpose of connecting diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD?

The purpose of connecting diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD is to regulate the flow of current in a circuit. The diodes act as a one-way valve, allowing current to flow in only one direction, while the resistors help to limit the amount of current flowing through the circuit. The terminal PD, or potential difference, is the voltage across the circuit that drives the current flow.

2. How does connecting diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD affect the overall circuit?

Connecting diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD creates a voltage divider circuit, where the voltage is divided between the diodes and the resistors. This allows for a more controlled and stable current flow through the circuit. Additionally, the diodes also act as a form of protection for the circuit, preventing excessive current from damaging the components.

3. Can diodes be connected in parallel with resistors and terminal PD in any circuit?

No, diodes should only be connected in parallel with resistors and terminal PD in circuits where there is a need for current regulation. In other circuits, such as simple LED circuits, connecting diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD may not be necessary and can even hinder the desired functionality of the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD, you need to first calculate the individual resistance values for each component. Then, you can use the formula Rtotal = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...), where R1, R2, R3, etc. represent the individual resistance values. This will give you the total resistance of the circuit.

5. Are there any drawbacks to connecting diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD?

One potential drawback of connecting diodes in parallel with resistors and terminal PD is that it can result in a decrease in the overall efficiency of the circuit. This is because some of the voltage is being diverted to the diodes and resistors instead of being used for the intended purpose. Additionally, if the diodes are not well-matched or have different characteristics, it can lead to unequal current distribution and potential damage to the circuit components.