Current through parallel cells with unequal EMFs

In summary, two cells with different emfs and internal resistances are connected in parallel with an 8.0 Ω resistor between the terminals. To calculate the current passing through each cell, the equation emf = I(R+r) can be applied to the circuit as a whole. However, this approach may not give the correct answer due to the incorrect assumption that the total emf is an average of the two cells. The correct method involves applying Kirchhoff's laws and drawing a circuit diagram to accurately calculate the current passing through each cell and the 8.0 Ω resistor.
zoya76
1 Two cells are connected in parallel by joining the terminals together so that they both face in the same direction. One of the cells has emf 6.0 V and internal resistance 3.0 Ω, and the other cell has emf 4.0 V and internal resistance 2.0 Ω. An 8.0 Ω resistor is connected between the terminals.

a Calculate the current passing through each cell. Note: It is ok to get a negative current for your answer, it just means it is traveling in the opposite direction. (6 marks)
b Calculate the current passing through the 8 Ω resistor. (2 marks)
c Calculate the pd across the 8 Ω resistor. (2 marks)

I've tried applying the equation emf = I(R+r) to the circuit as a whole. I'm assuming that the total emf is an average of the two cells, i.e. 5V, and that the total internal resistance r is just = 3*2/3+2. Once subbed into the equation and rearranging for I, I get a total circuit current of 0.81A which I divide in a ratio of 3:2. This gives me wrong anwers though (0.484A and 0.324A) as opposed to 0.609A and 0.087A.

Thanks all x

Physics news on Phys.org
zoya76 said:
Two cells are connected in parallel by joining the terminals together so that they both face in the same direction. One of the cells has emf 6.0 V and internal resistance 3.0 Ω, and the other cell has emf 4.0 V and internal resistance 2.0 Ω. An 8.0 Ω resistor is connected between the terminals.
What does that mean? Please show the circuit diagram.
zoya76 said:
I'm assuming that the total emf is an average of the two cells, i.e. 5V
That's incorrect.
Have you studied KCL and KVL?
Edit: You can look up Millman's theorem, but I don't think it would give you full credit for this problem.

Last edited:
If you draw a circuit diagram and sum the voltage drops around the closed loop, you should see your error.

1. What is "current through parallel cells with unequal EMFs"?

"Current through parallel cells with unequal EMFs" refers to the flow of electric current through a circuit that contains multiple cells (or batteries) connected in parallel, each with a different electromotive force (EMF). This means that each cell has a different ability to push electrons through the circuit, resulting in different amounts of current flowing through each cell.

2. Why is it important to understand the concept of "current through parallel cells with unequal EMFs"?

Understanding the concept of "current through parallel cells with unequal EMFs" is important because it helps us to understand how current flows through a circuit and how the presence of multiple cells with different EMFs can affect this flow. This knowledge is essential for designing and analyzing complex electrical systems.

3. How does current flow through parallel cells with unequal EMFs?

In a parallel circuit with unequal EMFs, the total current is divided among the different cells based on their respective EMFs. The higher the EMF of a cell, the more current it will receive. This results in a current imbalance between the cells, with some receiving more current and some receiving less.

4. What are the implications of unequal EMFs on the overall current in a parallel circuit?

Unequal EMFs can lead to a phenomenon known as "cell reversal" where the current in a cell flows in the opposite direction, causing it to discharge rather than charge. This can result in uneven discharge rates and decrease the overall efficiency of the circuit.

5. How can we mitigate the effects of unequal EMFs in a parallel circuit?

To mitigate the effects of unequal EMFs in a parallel circuit, we can use components such as diodes to regulate the flow of current and prevent cell reversal. We can also ensure that the cells have similar EMFs and internal resistances, or use a balancing circuit to equalize the charge among the cells.