Dipole, harmonic oscillator, and the coherent state

In summary, the conversation discusses the modeling of a weakly driven dipole as a damped driven simple harmonic oscillator and the potential for the corresponding oscillator to be in a coherent state if driven by a classical monochromatic electromagnetic wave. There is a debate about whether the excitations of the oscillator should be considered as photons and the role of finite temperature in this scenario. The expert suggests that the term "photon" should be reserved for excitations of quantum electromagnetic fields and explains the mathematical approach to solving the problem of a driven quantum harmonic oscillator.
Karthiksrao
Dear all,

I am aware that a weakly driven dipole can be modeled as a damped driven simple harmonic oscillator.

If I have to model the dipole as being driven by a classical monochromatic electromagnetic wave, would the corresponding simple harmonic oscillator then be in coherent state ?

In other words would the SHO be having a poisson distribution of photons in its energy levels (just like, if the SHO was in equilibrium with a thermal reservoir it would be populated according to Bose-Einstein distribution corresponding to the reservoir temperature T) ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by dipole? A dipole antenna?

Assuming what you mean is that you have some small metallic or dielectric rod, ignore loss, you can treat it as harmonic resonator, and equivalently, as quantum harmonic oscillator. Incident electromagnetic waves would couple to this resonator through dipole interaction. Then you will get a driven harmonic oscillator. If the driver is a simple sine-wave you will get coherent state in your oscillator. Whilst this treatment will lead you to creation/annihilation operators that have bosonic commutation relations, I would not call the excitations of your oscillator photons.

All of this is for zero temperature. If you want finite temperature. There will be more things to worry about.

Thanks Cryo for your reply. I want to isolate just the interaction of the harmonic resonator with the sine wave. So we can assume its at zero temperature.

I was indeed looking at the excitations as photons. Its interesting that you say these are not photons which are populating the higher energy states. Now that I think of it, I guess you are right because at zero temperature you do expect the photons to be in the ground state.

However, since the coherent state is a superposition of Fock states, I was picturing the the quantum harmonic oscillator in a coherent state to have its higher energy levels to also be populated - since the higher number Fock states do have definite number of photons. I'm clearly missing something elementary. What is wrong with my picturization ?

Thanks

IMHO, 'photon' is a term reserved for excitations of quantum electromagnetic field, usually some sort of propagating field. When you talk about your dipole (antenna) I am picturing a metallic or dielectric bar that houses some sort of mode. Sure, with enough paper you can try to express this mode in terms of photons, but it will not enlighten you, and it will confuse other people that are not used to your terminology. In any case, I don't think it is too important.7

Coherent state can be represented as superposition of Fock states, because the latter provides a complete and orthogonal basis set. Indeed, if your oscillator is driven by a sine-wave you will get a state that has non-zero amplitude for Fock-states with multiple quanta.

What I think you are missing is maths. Words are imprecise and subjective. Can you treat the problem of a driven quantum harmonic oscillator? Can you find the solution for the Hamiltonian:

##\hat{H}=\hbar\omega\left(\hat{a}^{\dagger}\hat{a}+\frac{1}{2}\right)+\alpha\exp\left(-\gamma\left| t\right|\right)\sin\left(\omega t\right)\left(\hat{a}^\dagger+\hat{a}\right)##

i.e. given initial state (##t\to -\infty##) is ##|0\rangle##, what is the final state (##t\to \infty##). Where ##\omega## is frequency, ##\gamma\to 0## is a vanishingly small quantity with units of frequency, ##t## is time, ##\hat{a}## is the anihilation operator for you resonator, and ##\alpha## is a real-valued constant with units of energy.

Once you can do this everything becomes clear.

I would suggest E. Merzbacher "Quantum Mechanics", Chapter 10, but many other texts do it too.

Last edited:
Likes Karthiksrao

What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or an atom that has a separation of positive and negative charges. This separation creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength of the dipole.

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that vibrates or oscillates around an equilibrium point in a regular and predictable manner. It can be described by a simple mathematical equation known as the harmonic oscillator equation.

What is a coherent state?

A coherent state is a quantum state that is a superposition of multiple energy eigenstates. It exhibits properties of both classical and quantum states, with well-defined phase and amplitude. It is often used to describe the behavior of a quantum system in the presence of external electromagnetic fields.

What is the significance of the dipole in a coherent state?

The dipole plays an important role in a coherent state as it is the driving force behind the oscillations of the system. The coherent state is created by an oscillating electric field, which causes the dipole to oscillate and thus creates the superposition of energy eigenstates.

How are dipole, harmonic oscillator, and coherent state related?

The dipole, harmonic oscillator, and coherent state are all interconnected in the study of quantum mechanics. The dipole is the driving force behind the oscillations of the harmonic oscillator, which can be described by the harmonic oscillator equation. The coherent state is a superposition of multiple energy eigenstates, including the harmonic oscillator states, and is often used to describe the behavior of a quantum system in the presence of external fields.