Dirac Delta Function identity

Safinaz
Homework Statement
May you please let me know if there an identity of a Dirac Delta function in momentum space that tells if:
Relevant Equations
##
F(k_1) \delta^3 (k_1) \times F(k_2) \delta^3 (k_2) = \frac{2 \pi^3}{k^2} \delta(k_1-k_2) P(k)
##
Then :
##
P(k) = - 4 ( F(k_1) + F(k_2) )
##
I need help to understand how equation (27) in this paper has been derived.

The definition of P(k) (I discarded in the question ##\eta## or the integration with respect for it) is given by (26) and the definition of h(k) and G(k) are given by Eq. (25) and Eq. (24) respectively.

In my question I defined:
##
F(k_1) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{H^2-k_1^2}} sinh (\sqrt{H^2-k_1^2} (\eta-\tilde{\eta}_1)) \frac{1}{H\tilde{\eta}_1} [m^2 Y_i Y_j-\frac{1}{H\tilde{\eta}_1} Y'_i Y'_j ]
##

and
##
F(k_2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{H^2-k_2^2}} sinh (\sqrt{H^2-k_2^2} (\eta-\tilde{\eta}_2)) \frac{1}{H\tilde{\eta}_2} [m^2 Y_i Y_j-\frac{1}{H\tilde{\eta}_2} Y'_i Y'_j ]
##

So in (27) ##F(k_1)## and ##F(k_2)## are added while according to (26) they are multiplied , so what is the identity of ##\delta^3(k)## and ##\delta(k_1-k_2)## which lead to Eq.(27) ?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Safinaz said:
Relevant Equations: ##
F(k_1) \delta^3 (k_1) \times F(k_2) \delta^3 (k_2) = \frac{2 \pi^3}{k^2} \delta(k_1-k_2) P(k)
##
Then :
##
P(k) = - 4 ( F(k_1) + F(k_2) )
##
k appears only in RHS. What is the definition of k?

LHS is not zero only when k_1=k_2=0. RHS is not zero only when k_1=k_2. They do not seem compatible.

anuttarasammyak said:
In a previous step in the paper, a transformation has been done from ##x## space to ##k## space by fourier-transforming

anuttarasammyak said:

LHS is not zero only when k_1=k_2=0. RHS is not zero only when k_1=k_2. They do not seem compatible.
I try to figure out the identity that leads to equation (27) in the menstioned paper. and writting ##F(k_1)## or ##F(k_2)## just to simplify. So that I'm asking about the correct identity of Dirac Delta

Safinaz said:
In a previous step in the paper, a transformation has been done from ##x## space to ##k## space by fourier-transforming
That explains what ##\mathbf{k}_1## and ##\mathbf{k}_2## are. It doesn't explain what ##\mathbf{k}## is in the expression for the power spectrum.

Safinaz said:
I try to figure out the identity that leads to equation (27) in the menstioned paper. and writting ##F(k_1)## or ##F(k_2)## just to simplify. So that I'm asking about the correct identity of Dirac Delta
I have the same concern as @anuttarasammyak. There's no point trying to find some identity you think you need if what you're starting with is wrong.

I moved this thread to the advanced physics forum. Perhaps someone with expertise in gravitational waves can shed some light on your question.

## What is the Dirac Delta Function identity?

The Dirac Delta Function identity is a mathematical concept used in the field of signal processing and mathematics. It is a distribution that is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, with an integral of one over the entire real line.

## How is the Dirac Delta Function identity represented mathematically?

The Dirac Delta Function identity is typically represented as δ(x) or δ(t), where x or t is the variable of integration. It is defined such that the integral of the Dirac Delta Function over any interval that contains the origin is equal to one.

## What is the significance of the Dirac Delta Function identity in mathematics?

The Dirac Delta Function identity is significant in mathematics because it allows for the representation of impulses or spikes in mathematical models. It is used to describe point sources or idealized concentrations of mass, charge, or energy at a single point in space or time.

## How is the Dirac Delta Function identity used in signal processing?

In signal processing, the Dirac Delta Function identity is used to model impulses or sudden changes in signals. It is used to represent idealized point sources or instantaneous events in signals, allowing for the analysis and manipulation of signals with discontinuities or spikes.

## Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Dirac Delta Function identity?

One limitation of the Dirac Delta Function identity is that it is not a true function in the traditional sense, but rather a distribution. This can lead to difficulties in certain mathematical operations, such as differentiation or integration. Additionally, the Dirac Delta Function identity can lead to mathematical inconsistencies if not used properly.