Discrepancies between numerical and analytical solutions

In summary: Etan(x), 'b', x, Etan(x), 'r', root_xi_x_a, root_xi_y_a, 'go') ...In summary, the analytical solutions to the Schrodinger equation are:-Fe^{-\alpha L/2} = Bcos(k L/2) if -\frac{L}{2} < x < \frac{L}{2};-Fe^{-\alpha L/2} = -\alpha Bcos(k L/2) if x > \frac{L}{2};
Ziezi
OP warned about not using the homework template
The analytical solutions are:
\begin{equation}
\psi(x) =
\begin{cases}
Ce^{\alpha x}, \text{if } x < -\frac{L}{2}\\
Asin(kx) + Bcos(kx), \text{if } -\frac{L}{2} \leq x \leq \frac{L}{2}\\
Fe^{-\alpha x} , \text{if } x > \frac{L}{2}
\end{cases}
\end{equation}
Next, ##\psi(x)## must be continuous and differentiable, which means that the value of the functions and their derivatives must match at the boundaries, ##-\frac{L}{2}## and ##\frac{L}{2}##. Depending on whether the solution is symmetric, ##\psi(-x) = \psi(x)##, or anti-symmetric, ##\psi(-x) = -\psi(x)##, ##A = 0##, ##C = F## or ##B = 0##. ##C = -F##, respectively. For the symmetric case:
\begin{equation}
\begin{array}{|l@{}}
Fe^{-\alpha L/2} = Bcos(k L/2)\\
-\alpha F e^{-\alpha L/2} = -\alpha Bcos(k L/2)
\end{array}
\end{equation}
taking the ratio of the above two give us ##\alpha = k tan(k L/2)##. Similarly, from the anti-symmetric case we get ##\alpha = -k cot(k L/2)##.Both ##\alpha## and ##k## depend on the energy, ##E##, making the above equations transcendental. To solve them we make the following substitutions:
\begin{equation}
\begin{array}{|l@{}}
\eta = \frac{L}{2}\frac{\sqrt{2mV_0}}{\hbar}\\
\xi = \frac{L}{2}\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar} = k \frac{L}{2} \quad (1)
\end{array}
\end{equation}
With a small rearrangement our equations for the symmetric and anti-symmetric become:
\begin{equation}
\begin{array}{|l@{}}
\alpha = k tan(k L/2) \iff \sqrt{\frac{\eta^2}{\xi^2} - 1} = tan(\xi)\\
\alpha = -k cot(k L/2) \iff \sqrt{\frac{\eta^2}{\xi^2} - 1} = -cot(\xi)
\end{array}
\end{equation}
To calculate the above I use the following Octave code:
Matlab:
    x = -6 : 0.1 : 46;                                  % coordinates  interval.
    w = 1;                                              % well width.
    U_0 = 40;                                           % well depth.
    hbar = 1;                                           % Planck's constant.
    m = 1;                                              % particle mass.

eta = ( w*sqrt(2*m*U_0) ) / (2*hbar);   xi = @(E) ( w*sqrt(2*m * E) ) / (2*hbar);
    lhs = @(E) sqrt( ( (eta*eta) ./ (xi(E).^2) )  - 1);
    rhs_s = @(E) tan( xi(E) );                          % symmetric case.
    rhs_a = @(E) -cot( xi(E) );                         % anti-symmetric case.

% Solve the transcendental equation using root-finding algorithm.
    func_1 = @(E) lhs(E) - rhs_s(E);  func_2 = @(E) lhs(E) - rhs_a(E);

x_0_s = 2;                              x_0_a =  10;
    root_xi_x_s = fzero(func_1, x_0_s);     root_xi_x_a = fzero(func_2, x_0_a);
    root_xi_y_s = real(rhs_s(root_xi_x_s)); root_xi_y_a = real(rhs_a(root_xi_x_a));

E_0 = (2*root_xi_x_s^2) / (m * w^2); E_1 =  (2*root_xi_x_a^2) / (m * w^2)   

subplot(1, 2, 1);
    plot(x, real(rhs_s(x)), 'b', x, real(lhs(x)), 'r', root_xi_x_s, root_xi_y_s, 'go')
    axis([-6 46 -2 4])'; xlabel('\xi');
    label3 = ['(', sprintf("%.2f", root_xi_x_s), ', ', sprintf("%.2f", root_xi_y_s), ')'];
    legend('tan(\xi)', '\surd(\eta^2 / \xi^2 - 1)', label3);

subplot(1, 2, 2);
    plot(x, real(rhs_a(x)), 'b', x, real(lhs(x)), 'r', root_xi_x_a, root_xi_y_a, 'go')
    axis([-6 46 -2 4]); xlabel('\xi');
    label4 = ['(', sprintf("%.2f", root_xi_x_a), ', ', sprintf("%.2f", root_xi_y_a), ')'];
    legend('cot(\xi)', '\surd(\eta^2 / \xi^2 - 1)', label4);

From $$(12)$$ and the two values for $$\xi$$, the results for the energies are:
> 331.98<br>
> 21.50<br>
x1VKR.jpg

Now, for the numerical solution I use the following:
Matlab:
    % Parameters for solving problem in the interval -L < x < L.
    L = 5;                                               % Interval Length.                                                                                                                       
    N = 1000;                                            % No of points.
    x = linspace(-L, L, N)';                             % Coordinate vector
    dx = x(2) - x(1);                                    % Coordinate step

% Finite square well of width 2w and depth given by U_0.
    U_0 = 40;                           w = L / 10;                                 
    U = -U_0*(heaviside(x + w) - heaviside(x - w));

% Discretized (three-point finite-difference) representation of the Laplacian.
    e = ones(N, 1);                                             
    Lap = spdiags([e  -2*e e], [-1 0 1], N, N)

% Total Hamiltonian
    hbar = 1;                                                         
    m = 1;                                                             
    H = -1/2*(hbar^2 / m)*Lap + spdiags(U, 0, N, N);  % T = H + U.

% Find (first 3) (smalest algebraic) eigenvalues.
    nmodes = 3;             options.disp = 0;
    [V, E] = eigs(H, nmodes, 'sa' , options);   
    [E, ind] = sort(diag(E));                   
    E

The results for the energies are:
>36.72<br>
>27.14<br>
>12.27

I'm expecting some error but in this case, the energies differ in an order of magnitude.

Clearly, I am doing something wrong but I don't know whether the error is in the analytical or numerical solution. What am I doing wrong here? Any hint will be appreciated.

---

Attachments

• x1VKR.jpg
    x1VKR.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not a MATLAB expert, but I know enough to suggest putting the two sets of solutions back into your equations (4) and see which one (if any) satisfies them.

Likes Ziezi
kuruman said:
I am not a MATLAB expert, but I know enough to suggest putting the two sets of solutions back into your equations (4) and see which one (if any) satisfies them.
That is not a bad idea, however, equation (12) is useful assuming that the values of ##\xi## are valid. The second value of ##\xi## produces an energy, ##E = 331.98##, making it a bit ambiguous given that the potential is only ##U_0 = 40##.

Most probably there are mistakes in both, analytical and numerical, methods.

Wait a minute. Look at your equations (3). What are your definitions of ##k## and ##\alpha##? If this is a particle in a finite square well problem, then if you redefine dimensionless constants ##\eta## and ##\xi##, it must be true that ##\eta^2+\xi^2 = const.##

Likes Ziezi
kuruman said:
Wait a minute. Look at your equations (3). What are your definitions of ##k## and ##\alpha##? If this is a particle in a finite square well problem, then if you redefine dimensionless constants ##\eta## and ##\xi##, it must be true that ##\eta^2+\xi^2 = const.##

You are right, I've omitted a crucial part:

Inside the box, the wavefunction is:

\begin{equation}
\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \psi(x)}{dx^2} = E \psi(x) \iff
\frac{d^2 \psi(x)}{dx^2} = k^2 \psi(x)
\end{equation}
where ##k = \frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}##. Outside the box:
\begin{equation}
-\frac{\hbar^2}{m} \frac{\partial^2 \psi(x)}{\partial x^2} = (E - V_0) \psi(x) \iff \frac{\partial^2 \psi(x)}{\partial x^2} = \alpha^2 \psi(x)
\end{equation}
where ##\alpha = \frac{\sqrt{2m(V_0 - E)}}{\hbar}##.P.S.: I can't edit the OP more. So, I'm placing what should be at the beginning as a response

1. What is the meaning of discrepancies between numerical and analytical solutions?

Discrepancies between numerical and analytical solutions refer to the differences or inconsistencies that may exist between the results obtained through numerical methods (such as using computers to solve equations) and the results obtained through analytical methods (such as using mathematical equations to solve problems).

2. Why do discrepancies occur between numerical and analytical solutions?

Discrepancies can occur due to various reasons, such as rounding errors, limitations of numerical methods, or assumptions made in the analytical solution that may not hold true in real-world situations.

3. How can discrepancies between numerical and analytical solutions be minimized?

To minimize discrepancies, it is essential to use appropriate numerical methods and ensure that the analytical solution accurately represents the problem being solved. It is also important to consider the limitations and assumptions of both methods and use them in conjunction to obtain more accurate results.

4. Is one method (numerical or analytical) more reliable than the other?

Neither method can be deemed entirely reliable or inaccurate. Both methods have their strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the problem being solved and the desired level of accuracy.

5. How can discrepancies between numerical and analytical solutions impact scientific research?

Discrepancies can have a significant impact on the validity and reliability of research findings. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully evaluate and address any discrepancies to ensure the accuracy and credibility of scientific studies.