Dirac notation and conjugate transpose in Sakurai

In summary: Peter Sakurai develops the Dirac notation of bras and kets. In one part, he states (page 17):<B|X|A> = (<A|X^|B>)* = <A|X^|B>*where X^ denotes the Hermitian adjoint (the conjugate transpose) of the operator X.He defines a separate conjugate transpose of the bras and kets, whereby he just takes the complex conjugate and implicitly also transposes it (ie. |A>* = <A| ). Normally, I would expect to see |A>^ = <A|.
Master J
In Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics, he develops the Dirac notation of bras and kets. In one part, he states (page 17):

<B|X|A>

= (<A|X^|B>)*

= <A|X^|B>*

where X^ denotes the Hermitian adjoint (the conjugate transpose) of the operator X.

My question is, since a bra is the conjugate transpose of a ket, could we write
<B|X|A>^ = <A|X|B>

(since of course X^ = X (ie. X is Hermitian) for real, measurable quantities).

What I'm trying to ask is, does Sakurai define a separate conjugate transpose of the bras and kets, whereby he just takes the complex conjugate and implicitly also transposes it (ie.
|A>* = <A| ). Normally, I would expect to see |A>^ = <A|.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're misunderstanding what the notation means. Stars denote the complex conjugates of numbers: i.e. a complex number [itex]a[/itex] has complex conjugate [itex]a^*[/itex]. Daggers (I assume it's a dagger and you just don't know LaTex; don't have my copy of Sakurai around) denote the adjoint of an operator: an operator [itex]\hat A[/itex] has as its adjoint [itex]\hat A^\dagger[/itex].

I don't remember in QM kets and bras being conjugated. It's meaningful to talk about their representations being conjugated: [itex]\langle x | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | x \rangle^*[/itex], but that's because this is a number (a function is still a number).

At any rate, I think Sakurai is just trying to keep the complex conjugate of a number distinct from the hermitian adjoint of an operator, which is what I've seen in books other than his, too.

Sorry, I should really learn LaTeX, but yes, that's what I meant ...

I have from Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra-ket_notation ) that the complex conjugate of a bra is a ket, and vice versa.

So, in the equation <B|X|A> = ( <A|X|B> )* , the * would some unnecessary? Again here, X is Hermitian.

Basically what is done is always a transpose. The conjugate operation comes in
just because of the complex notation. You can equally well describe the mathematics
in an entirely real form using only the transpose operation by substituting the complex
numbers with real valued 2x2 matrices:[tex]
(a+ib) ~~\longrightarrow~~
\left(\begin{array}{cc} a & -b \\ b & ~~a\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

The conjugate transpose comes up if you need to describe the transpose of the
2x2 real valued matrix in the complex notation.

[tex]
(a+ib)^* ~~=~~
\left(\begin{array}{cc} a & -b \\ b & ~~a\end{array}\right)^\intercal ~~=~~
(a-ib)
[/tex]

This substitution works just as well with complex matrices, for instance the
Pauli matrix [itex]\sigma^2[/itex] which has an equivalent real valued 4x4 matrix.

[tex]
\sigma^2 ~~=~~
\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & -i \\ i & ~~0\end{array}\right) ~~\longrightarrow~~
\left(\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & ~~0 & ~~0 & ~~1 \\
0 & ~~0 & - 1 & ~~0 \\
0 & - 1 & ~~0 & ~~0 \\
1 & ~~0 & ~~0 & ~~0
\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

The transpose of the 4x4 real matrix is equivalent to the conjugate transpose of
the 2x2 complex Pauli matrix.

[tex]
(\sigma^2)^* ~~=~~
\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & -i \\ i & ~~0\end{array}\right)^* ~~\longrightarrow~~
\left(\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & ~~0 & ~~0 & ~~1 \\
0 & ~~0 & - 1 & ~~0 \\
0 & - 1 & ~~0 & ~~0 \\
1 & ~~0 & ~~0 & ~~0
\end{array}\right)^\intercal ~~=~~ \sigma^2
[/tex]

Another example:

[tex]
(i\sigma^2)^* ~~=~~
\left(\begin{array}{cc} ~~0 & ~~1 \\ -1 & ~~0\end{array}\right)^* ~~\longrightarrow~~
\left(\begin{array}{cccc} ~~0 & ~~0 & ~~1 & ~~0 \\
~~0 & ~~0 & ~~0 & ~~1 \\
- 1 & ~~0 & ~~0 & ~~0 \\
~~0 & -1 & ~~0 & ~~0
\end{array}\right)^\intercal ~~=~~ -i\sigma^2
[/tex]

Bras and kets are just row and column vectors due to the underlying matrix algebra,
and therefor they are related to each other by a transpose operation in the real
valued case and a conjugate transpose in the complex valued case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra-ket_notation#Bras_and_kets_as_row_and_column_vectors

Hans

Last edited:

1. What is Dirac notation in Sakurai?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and operators. It was introduced by physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in Sakurai's textbook "Modern Quantum Mechanics".

2. How do you write a quantum state using Dirac notation in Sakurai?

In Sakurai's notation, a quantum state is represented by a ket vector, which is denoted as |ψ>. The ket vector contains all the information about the state, including its position, momentum, energy, and other quantum properties.

3. What is the significance of the conjugate transpose in Sakurai's notation?

The conjugate transpose, denoted as †, is an operation that is applied to a ket vector to obtain its corresponding bra vector. In Sakurai's notation, the bra vector is denoted as <ψ| and represents the complex conjugate of the ket vector. This operation is important in performing calculations and representing quantum states in a mathematical form.

4. How is the conjugate transpose used in Sakurai's notation to represent operators?

In Sakurai's notation, operators are represented by matrices and are denoted as Â. The conjugate transpose of an operator, denoted as †, is used to represent the Hermitian conjugate of the operator. This is important in quantum mechanics as Hermitian operators have real eigenvalues, which correspond to observable quantities in the physical world.

5. Can Dirac notation and the conjugate transpose be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, Dirac notation and the conjugate transpose are not limited to quantum mechanics and can be applied in other areas of physics, such as classical mechanics and electromagnetism. They provide a concise and elegant way to represent mathematical expressions and simplify complex calculations.