Dirac spinors in non-relativistic limit

In summary, the problem at hand is to show that in the non-relativistic limit, the lower two components of the positive energy solutions to the Dirac equation are smaller than the upper two components by a factor of ##\beta##. The initial spinor provided is simplified using the non-relativistic approximations for energy and momentum, resulting in the lower component being divided by 2. The question then arises on how to handle the term ##\vec \sigma \cdot \vec v##, which seems to leave the lower two components a factor of ##\beta## smaller than the upper two components. However, it is suggested that the question is asking for a factor of order ##\beta##, rather than an exact factor
Thomas Brady
So, I have to show that in the non-relativistic limit the lower two components of the positive energy solutions to the Dirac equation are smaller than the upper two components by a factor of ##\beta##.

I started with the spinor $$\psi = \begin{pmatrix} \phi \\ \frac {\vec \sigma \cdot \vec p} {E + m} \phi \end{pmatrix}$$ (##\phi## is a 2-component spinor and this doesn't include the normalization factor or the exponential)
The ##\sigma## being the Pauli matrices. Then I noted that in the non-relativistic limit ##E = \gamma m## and ##\gamma \rightarrow 1## so the denominator of the lower component is ##2m## and ##\vec p = m\vec v## in the non-relativistic limit so the m's cancel in the numerator and the denominator and I'm left with

$$\psi = \begin{pmatrix} \phi \\ \frac {\vec \sigma \cdot \vec v} {2} \phi \end{pmatrix}$$

so now I'm confused as to what to do with the ##\vec \sigma \cdot \vec v##. It seems like what I could try to do would leave the lower two components a factor of ##\frac \beta 2## smaller than the numerator.rather than just ##\beta##. So how do I approach this ##\vec \sigma \cdot \vec v##?

Physics news on Phys.org
P.S. I used n.u. for this

I think that the question is meant to ask you to show that the lower two components are smaller than the upper two components by a factor of order ##\beta## (even though it wasn't stated that way explicitly.) So, you don't need to distinguish between a factor of ##\beta## and a factor of ##\beta/2##. Hope I'm not misinterpreting things here.

1. What are Dirac spinors?

Dirac spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the spin state of a particle in quantum mechanics. They are solutions to the Dirac equation, which combines special relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the non-relativistic limit?

The non-relativistic limit is a simplification of the Dirac equation in which the speed of the particle is much less than the speed of light. This allows for the use of non-relativistic quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of the particle.

3. How are Dirac spinors used in the non-relativistic limit?

In the non-relativistic limit, Dirac spinors are used to describe the spin state of a particle with a small mass and low energy. They are also used to calculate the magnetic moment of a particle, which is a measure of its spin.

4. What are the benefits of using Dirac spinors in the non-relativistic limit?

Using Dirac spinors in the non-relativistic limit allows for a more accurate description of the spin state of a particle compared to traditional non-relativistic quantum mechanics. It also allows for the inclusion of spin-orbit coupling effects, which are important in many physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Dirac spinors in the non-relativistic limit?

One limitation is that the non-relativistic limit only applies to particles with small masses and low energies. It also does not take into account the effects of high energies or speeds, which may be important in certain systems. Additionally, the mathematical complexity of the Dirac equation may make it difficult to solve in some cases.