Direct Stiffness Method for a distributed load

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two different methods for determining the deflection, curvature, forces, and moments of a simply supported beam with a distributed load. The results from a two node analysis and a three node analysis do not agree, possibly due to a mistake in calculations or a difference in the way the distributed load is accounted for. It is important to use the correct equations and boundary conditions when solving for the unknown values.
lawa44
I'm working on a question which asks to determine the deflection, curvature, forces and moments of a simply supported beam with a distributed load. diagram shown in here http://imgur.com/a/wpI4kInitially, I've done the calculation with 1 plane beam element with 2 nodes. At L = 0 and L = 3. But that doesn't give me the deflection of the beam at L = x/2.

So I'm trying to use 2 elements with 3 nodes as shown here.

I've reduced the matrix down to a 4 x 4 with {theta_1; v_2; theta_2; theta_3} as unknowns.

The result i got were:

• theta_1 = -0.0462
  • v_2 = -0.0865
  • theta_2 = 0
  • theta_3 = 0.0462
The results from the 2 node analysis were:

• Q_1 = 3N
  • theta_1 = -0.0231
  • Q_2 = 3N
  • theta_2 = 0.0231
Which do not agree with the results from the 3 node analysis.

Moreover, from using the Euler beam equation I calculated a deflection result of -21.6mm which does not agree with v_2 either.

Because of the difference in values, I got from the 3 node analysis, I have yet to substitute the values back into calculate the other nodal values.

Did I make a mistake?

Is it correct to use L/2 instead of L for my three node equivalent loads?

i.e. -w(L/2)/2 instead of -wL/2 as was the case in the 2 node analysis.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it is correct to use L/2 instead of L for your three node equivalent loads. The reason for this is because the three node analysis takes into account the effect of the distributed load being split over two nodes instead of being concentrated at one node. In other words, the distributed load is being shared between the two nodes on either side of the midpoint. In addition, you may have made a mistake in your calculations when solving for the nodal values. Make sure you are using the correct equations and boundary conditions when solving for each of the unknowns.

1. What is the Direct Stiffness Method for a distributed load?

The Direct Stiffness Method is a computational method used in structural analysis to determine the displacements, forces, and stresses in a structure subjected to a distributed load. It is based on the concept of stiffness, which represents the resistance of a structure to deformation under an applied load.

2. How does the Direct Stiffness Method handle a distributed load?

The Direct Stiffness Method breaks down the distributed load into a series of point loads, each acting at a specific location on the structure. These point loads are then used to construct the stiffness matrix, which is used to determine the displacements and forces in the structure.

3. What is the advantage of using the Direct Stiffness Method for a distributed load?

The Direct Stiffness Method allows for the analysis of complex structures subjected to distributed loads, which may be difficult to solve using traditional hand calculations. It also provides a more accurate solution compared to other methods, as it takes into account the stiffness of each element in the structure.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Direct Stiffness Method for a distributed load?

One limitation of the Direct Stiffness Method is that it assumes the structure is linearly elastic, meaning that the materials used in the structure behave in a linear manner under applied loads. Additionally, it may be time-consuming to construct the stiffness matrix for large and complex structures.

5. How is the Direct Stiffness Method for a distributed load used in real-world applications?

The Direct Stiffness Method is widely used in structural engineering for the analysis and design of various types of structures, including buildings, bridges, and aerospace structures. It is also used in computer-aided design (CAD) software to simulate the behavior of structures under different loading conditions.