Stiffness Matrix Method: Symmetry vs Introducing a new node / joint

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving a problem related to structures. The chosen solution uses a symmetry argument and introduces an extra node at the point where the load P acts. However, another method is suggested where the bottom right entry of the global stiffness matrix is doubled and the force vector is changed. After realizing an error in the calculation, the correct global stiffness matrix is determined and it yields the same result as in the book.
Master1022
TL;DR Summary
This question is about comparing two methods in a stiffness matrix analysis question - using symmetry on half of the structure vs. introducing a new joint at the load
Hi,

In the question outlined in the images (apologies for the poor quality of the scans), the chosen solution has opted to use a symmetry argument and proceed from there.

ScannableDocumentStiffnessMatrix.jpg
StiffnessMatrix2.jpg

Question is from "Structures: theory and analysis" by Williams & Todd

My question is: How could we approach the same problem by introducing an extra node at the point where the load [itex] P [/itex] acts?

Method: I believe that all we would need to do if we were considering an extra joint would be to effectively double the entry in the bottom right corner of the global stiffness matrix: (i.e.

[tex] K =
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{4EI}{l} & \frac{-6EI}{l^2} \\
\frac{-6EI}{l^2} & (\frac{24EI}{l^3} + k)\\
\end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and changing the force vector to: [tex] F = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ -P \\ \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

I thought of doubling the bottom right entry of K as we would be adding it to itself again in another 2 x 2 global stiffness matrix and that would be the only parameter that we care about within [itex] K_{BC} [/itex]

However, solving this yields different answers (letting EI = 1 and l = 1 for ease of typing):
[tex] \begin{bmatrix} \theta_{z_A} \\ u_{y_b} \\ \end{bmatrix} = \frac{-P}{15 + k} \begin{bmatrix} \frac{3}{2} \\ 1 \\ \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Can anyone see where I have gone wrong in my thinking here?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Update: I realized that I added up the stiffness matrices of the right and left half incorrectly.

The global stiffness matrix (for variables [itex] \theta_{z_A}, u_{y_B}, \theta_{z_C} [/itex] respectively) should have been:
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{4EI}{l^3} & \frac{-6EI}{l^2} & 0 \\
\frac{-6EI}{l^2} & \frac{24EI}{l^3} + k & \frac{6EI}{l^2} \\
0 & \frac{6EI}{l^2} & \frac{4EI}{l^3}
\end{pmatrix} [/tex]
Using this matrix leads to the same result as in the book.

1. What is the stiffness matrix method?

The stiffness matrix method is a mathematical approach used in structural analysis to determine the displacements, forces, and stresses in a structure. It involves breaking down a complex structure into smaller, simpler elements and using a stiffness matrix to describe the behavior of each element. The overall behavior of the structure can then be determined by combining the individual element stiffness matrices.

2. What is the significance of symmetry in the stiffness matrix method?

Symmetry in the stiffness matrix method refers to the fact that the stiffness matrix of a symmetric structure will also exhibit symmetry. This means that certain elements of the stiffness matrix will be equal to each other, which can significantly reduce the number of calculations required. This can save time and effort in the analysis process.

3. How is a new node or joint introduced in the stiffness matrix method?

A new node or joint can be introduced in the stiffness matrix method by adding new rows and columns to the stiffness matrix. This new node will then be connected to the existing nodes and elements in the structure, and its corresponding stiffness values will be calculated based on the properties of the connecting elements.

4. What are the advantages of introducing a new node in the stiffness matrix method?

Introducing a new node in the stiffness matrix method can improve the accuracy of the analysis results. This is because it allows for a more detailed representation of the structure, especially in areas where there are significant changes in geometry or loading. It can also help to reduce the number of elements needed, making the analysis more efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to introducing a new node in the stiffness matrix method?

Introducing a new node in the stiffness matrix method can increase the complexity of the analysis, as it requires additional calculations and considerations. This can make the analysis process more time-consuming and may also require more advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, a large number of nodes can lead to a larger and more difficult to solve stiffness matrix, which can be computationally challenging.